Rachelc

How to start doing yoga

6 posts in this topic

I've never done yoga but I really want to start because it seems very beneficial, but not going to lie, the whole thing is rather intimidating. Any tips for how to go about this? There is no where in my area that does yoga lessons so I'm stuck doing it from home

robert likes this

There is no where in my area that does yoga lessons so I'm stuck doing it from home

Have you already googled yoga with your zipcode? You'll be surprised (of course, if there's nothing listed, I'll be surprised!).  It's a good idea, if you find a studio, to take one or two private lessons (if it fits your budget) as the instruction you'll get will help much more than being a beginner in a regular class.

My story...I started yoga one year ago...I tried it using a video and did it for three months before finding the nerve to take a live class. I know it's intimidating, but it really shouldn't be...just ease into it and manage your expectation...it's a lifelong pursuit, not something that can be mastered in a few weeks or months.

Edited by LarryD517

Really? Try Google...type in "yoga" followed by your zip code. You'll be surprised (of course, if there's nothing listed, I'll be surprised!).  

I believe it.  Some people live in remote areas, and if there are yoga teachers, they may not even have an online presence. 

Also, another forum member Anahata mentioned in the "Yoga Fails" thread that she doesn't have local classes. 

A few weeks ago I was travelling and was at a city that had yoga classes, yay! Normally I don’t have any where I live.  

So, you're not alone in this situation, Rachelc! Welcome to both the forum and yoga. 

Edit: Forgot to mention that I failed to answer any of the original questions because I think Larry gave good advice already.

Edited by yogafire
robert likes this

Hi and welcome! I know yoga can seem really Intimidating.

One of the yoga teachers I follow on YouTube is Adriene and she is wonderful for total beginners. Very genuine and funny and doesn't use a lot of yoga jargon. I would say she is not at all intimidating. Here's one of her playlists. Yoga For Beginners: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLui6Eyny-UzzWwB4h9y7jAzLbeuCUczAl

In my experience, Candace ' s voice is extremely calming and therefore she doesn't intimidate me either, even though she is so incredibly fit and strong.

I say if you're nervous about going to a class in person, try practicing at home for a bit until you feel comfortable. Do beginner videos - always take modifications on the poses and take breaks when you need to. Yoga isn't about doing poses perfectly,  even though it made seem that way. The major thing is to listen to your body so that you don't push yourself too hard. Like "wow, my legs are tired, I need a break." 

Just make your yoga work for you, wherever you may be. You're right that it is beneficial. I can't even describe how much it has helped me. It has made me calmer, kinder, more grateful, and of course, much more fit and strong. And it's extremely rewarding to finally reach a pose after working hard on it. By not beating yourself up for not being able to do something,  you don't spend as much time focused on it and then one day (obviously after much practice) you're there! It feels great! 

I'm really rambling so I apologize. I hope you have a fun and rewarding time beginning your yoga practice! 

Edited by afriske
add playlist

If a search doesn't turn up any local studios try calling your local YMCA or other gyms in your area. Even if they don't offer yoga they may know of someone in your area that does. Around here a few spas and the local park service also offer yoga. You might be surprised where you find classes!  

I practiced at home for almost a decade before taking my first class in person so I totally understand how you feel! I like Kathryn Budig's Aim True DVD and I love YouTube because you can try so many instructors and styles. And since its free you don't feel bad quitting a video you don't like! In addition to Candace's videos, I like Tim Senesi and Reflexion Yoga's recovery videos for athletes. Our cable provider is also offering free yoga videos from Rodney Yee and Seane Corne along with many other instructors. Search around and try a lot of different videos and instructors until you find the style that works best for you! Good luck on your journey! Keep us posted!

I started out with Yoga With Adriene's 30 Day Yoga Challenge. It was my first time ever doing yoga! Adriene breaks it down and gives options for poses so it's easier for beginners. I struggled quite a bit at first, but finished the 30 days, then did it again! By the second go-around, I could get into poses better, hold them longer, and could keep up pretty well. After that, I found YBC and started incorporation Candace into my practice. I've now been doing yoga for about 8 months, and have only been a real class a handful of times (due to inconvenient class times, my work schedule, and just plum laziness of not wanting to drive to the other side of town, battling traffic, to practice for an hour!)

afriske and yogafire like this