robert

Real life vs videos, when you can't see the teacher / screen

5 posts in this topic

A topic which came up in the discussion we where having last night (at least it was night in the UK), was that yoga often puts you into positions that make it difficult to impossible to see the teacher or computer screen. Most of the time I'm able to follow verbal instructions, especially if I have some experience with a teacher. However if a new pose, pose to pose transition or pose variation comes up, I may get lost.

This is something I find easiest to deal with in a class as it's generally not that difficult to see someone else when there are others around. When following a video however I find it's more frequently needed to break out and look what's happening. A computer screen being only in one location, and generally covering a small area of physical space. Personally I'd like to avoid having to break-out of a sequence,  as it breaks my state of mind.

Now that's a downside of the presentation media, we have not yet developed 'as real life' holographic experiences (although augmented reality goes some way towards this). So the intention of this topic is to discuss potential ways of working around it. For instance in our discussion Yogafire mentioned that she finds Candace's 'sped up' instergram sequences to be a useful overview of a sequence, without having to pre-watch the regular video. Which seams like a good idea.

have you experienced this problem? Do you have any ideas how to solve it?

YogaByCandace likes this

Watch the video before you try it. You can hover the time line to speed through stuff you know already so you can find the new poses, for example, if there's a five minute series of sun salutations, speed up to the next move, etc.

Previewing a 40 minute class can be done in five minutes. Once you're comfortable with the sequences, do it live (so to speak)

Vicky and YogaByCandace like this

Yeah, I preview online classes before I actually do them. If I see a pose I haven't done before or a sequence that looks particularly challenging I watch it in real time and make sure I understand the progression before doing the video so I know what to expect.

I don't always do this, however. But since I'm in college, it's kind of key for small spaces so you know when you have to adjust.

YogaByCandace likes this

... If I see a pose I haven't done before or a sequence that looks particularly challenging I watch it in real time and make sure I understand the progression before doing the video so I know what to expect.

I must spend 15-20 minutes a day just watching videos of poses. After a while, I know them...even before I attempt them! Of course, physical limitations still exist, but in my mind...I've mastered them!

So, I didn't understand what the purpose of tablets were when they first came out. But then I saw this post below when I was checking out #yogabycandace.  Would a portable device help keep things in view, if you don't have the time to watch the video beforehand? Otherwise, to piggyback on what others already suggested, you can change the playback speed to 2x under the settings icon in youtube to preview.  Unfortunately for me, that's still not as fast as the instagram speed ups.