scottcraft

Cleaning your mat?

13 posts in this topic

How do you guys clean your mats? I let mine air out some, but I haven't actually cleaned it yet. I'm a heavy sweater so eventual it's going to need to be cleaned. Any tips would be appreciated!

My mat is 6'x6' so I wouldn't want to soak it too much because of the extra work, but I probably should do it. 

Does it affect the stickiness? Loving my Jade mat (thank you Candace for the recommendation) as my feet are locked in and don't move, no matter how sweaty. 

I wash it by hand in my bathtub with regular, unscented glycerine soap. Lots of rinsing involved, then let it air dry when it's hot. I should point out my mat is fairly old (10+ years or so) and not very high end, so my main concern is keeping it clean. It's been quite a while since it was really sticky.

I've been thinking about buying a new mat, but I'm not sure if the better mats people mention here are available in my part of the world and/or I could afford them.

It really depends on your mat brand - some common ones listed here.  

I love the stickiness of my Jade mat, but, it did subside because I didn't know direct sunlight hurts the rubber cells when I dried it outside. :( It doesn't feel quite the same as when it were new, but, good enough!

For a deeper clean, do what Hildegard suggested with the bathtub soak, or if you have a Jade or another mat that the manufacturer says it's ok to do, you can machine wash in a front loading washer. It does require planning ahead - make sure I wash it right before a rest day, and also find a place to dry it for at least a day (I set up my drying rack in the bathtub).

scottcraft likes this

This is an old post for a new mat cleaning but is good for mats that haven't had a good scrubbing in awhile.

Some info for all rubber mats or rubberized plastic. When any mat is made it will have some industrial process crud on it. It is really gross how much stuff is on there. Wash it twice. Start with strong laundry soap and let it soak on the surface for 30 minutes or longer. And scrub it with a rag as well. This will get the crud off but create another problem. Any soap that has fragrance or perfume will leave a slippery surface. To get rid of that find a mild soap without fragrance.  I use Ivory hand soap.The one that says 99% pure. And a quick second wash.

scottcraft likes this