aredmond

Downward Facing Dog - Neck Pressure

4 posts in this topic

Hello -

I love doing yoga and enjoy vinyasa in an infrared class at a yoga center nearby.  I would still consider myself a beginner, but have done yoga on and off for the past 5+ years. Whether in the heated room or not, downward facing dog is by far the most uncomfortable pose for me.  I feel quite a bit of pressure on my neck, which causes pain and discomfort that lasts for several days. 

Question: Do you have any tips to provide to improve the pose or at least ensure that there is not something I'm doing wrong/that could injure me with repetitive use of the pose?  I generally try to make sure that I am not overextending, my shoulders are down my back, my thumb and first finger are firmly on the floor, my head in line with my arms.  I am otherwise a healthy, active individual with no  injuries that I know of.

Thanks!

Anna

Have you asked your teacher(s)?

A trained teacher, watching you might provide better advice than strangers who can't see nor know what you're doing...or doing wrong.

I am not a yoga teacher or a doctor, so I agree with Larry that you should talk to your teacher.

Are you tensing your neck at all in the pose? Like lifting it to make it in line with arms? That's the only thing I can think of. Keep the neck relaxed, don't have any tension there. 

That's all that would make sense to me, but like I said, I'm not a teacher!

I agree w Larry and Afriske but I'm hearing one thing that stands out - 'head in line with the arms.' This might be the cause of the neck pain because if the head is perfectly in line with the arms there will be tension in the neck and if you're holding it for an extension period of time, that'll surely cause some issues. Instead, let your head hang. I was taught in my Ashtanga training that the gaze should be gently toward the navel. This little fix may help and if not, definitely ask your instructor who can watch what you're doing. Hope that helps!

LarryD517 likes this