aredmond

Infrared Yoga/Heated Room - Doing Too Much?

4 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

I really enjoy doing vinyasa in an infrared yoga class at yoga studio near my home.  I mostly like the style of the teacher, who only teaches in this heated room at the studio.  When I first started, it felt so good - like I had both sat in a hot tub for an hour and done yoga!  I am far more flexible and can take my poses farther than when not in a heated room.  I think I have pushed too far at times and am trying not to do that as I'm worried I strained some muscles or ligaments along the way. 

Question: What can I focus on when in the heated room so as not to go further into the pose than perhaps my body is ready? How can I continue to do yoga in a heated room, but take advantage of the improved flexibility and improve my strength?  Any tips?

Thanks in advance!

Anna

Great question! I will answer in more detail on the blog, but essentially heated yoga is the perfect time to be hyperaware of what's going on in your body and know your limits. The dangers of heated yoga include being 'too' warm and therefore pushing too hard during class, leaving yourself very sore or potentially injured. I might suggest mixing in some classes that are not heated so you can get a better idea of where the boundaries are for your practice and then working on being really mindful of them when you're in the heated class. <3

Hi Candace,

I didn't see anything in the blog about this?

Thank you for this post, it confirms what I suspected.  I appreciate the comment.

Thanks!

Anna