Ashleypizz

Pizz

17 posts in this topic

I have a question. I have only done yoga once, but when I am in the downward facing dog position I can't seem to bring my foot to the front of the mat. I believe my form for DFD is correct. Does this just come in time or should I be able to do this? It does not look hard but I can only get my foot to the center.

MrBalloonHands likes this

If you're referring to moving from DFD into a lunge or warrior position...I agree, it's tough, at first.

It takes a while. If you do (no exaggeration) a few hundred DFDs (of course, not all in the same session :) ), you'll get better at it.

Be patient...it will come.

To quote a brilliant philosopher...Practice makes Progress!

MrBalloonHands likes this

I have a question. I have only done yoga once, but when I am in the downward facing dog position I can't seem to bring my foot to the front of the mat. I believe my form for DFD is correct. Does this just come in time or should I be able to do this? It does not look hard but I can only get my foot to the center.

Do you crouch your leg a bit before trying to bring your foot to the front? That helps give it a little push. It is difficult though, as your core strengthens you will be able to get your foot to the front of the mat easier. Bringing your leg from three legged dog to the front of the mat is easier also.

Welcome to the forum!

If you need some visual help, Candace explains and demos using the core around 1:49, but watch her video for tips!

Scott gives a good tip - it can be easier for three-legged (lifting the back leg), but it's also some teachers' pet peeve because it's easy to get in the habit of only using the momentum of the swing to get there. But if you focus on engaging your core like in Candace's video, either way should be good!

scottcraft likes this

Welcome to the forum!

If you need some visual help, Candace explains and demos using the core around 1:49, but watch her video for tips!

Scott gives a good tip - it can be easier for three-legged (lifting the back leg), but it's also some teachers' pet peeve because it's easy to get in the habit of only using the momentum of the swing to get there. But if you focus on engaging your core like in Candace's video, either way should be good!

Going from three legged dog is easier, but I only do it that way if I'm instructed. Otherwise I just man up and give it my best shot. ?

Ashleypizz likes this

Do you crouch your leg a bit before trying to bring your foot to the front? That helps give it a little push. It is difficult though, as your core strengthens you will be able to get your foot to the front of the mat easier. Bringing your leg from three legged dog to the front of the mat is easier also.

I watched a you tube video it's just going from DFD to stepping to front of the mat. I just get frustrated because that looks like a basic move and I can't even do that. I will keep trying. Thank you for the input.

scottcraft likes this

I am just hoping that when my core gets stronger it will get better. I really enjoy doing yoga but it can be overwhelming. I can't imagine being able to do some of these moves, ever. I did a 40 minute beginning video today so I guess I will just slowly build up to other levels. I want to be good tomorrow. I know this requires patience. Thanks for all of the input.

yogafire and scottcraft like this

Relax, you said you've yoga once. It's a lifetime pursuit! Most practitioners started out exactly where you are. Don't expect results in a day or two...just practice every day (or as often as you can) and slowly build into it. If you're going to be self taught, make sure the videos you find are specifically for beginners. DFD isn't really a beginner move, nor is stepping forward, there's a lot of stuff you can do to build up to it. Just be patient, it'll come.

Ashleypizz likes this

Thank you Larry.  I exercise often with weights and I enjoy running so I thought this would come easier. I will do as you say and just be patient and start off with the easier things.

It takes a while, but before you know it you'll be doing some pretty cool things. I still struggle bringing my foot to the front of the mat after 4-6 months of practicing. 

That makes me feel better. I will keep trying. My back is kinda sore after doing it for two days. Hope this is just because I am doing something new. I try to focus on form as much as possible.

Don't like to spend other people's money, but the best gift you can give yourself would be one or two private lessons. Learn the proper way to do certain poses, how to deal with physical limitations, how to modify or use props, etc.

Everyone has really good advice. Like the others said it will come with practice. I used to never be able to do crow pose or do chaturanga correctly. Now I can! It will come I promise you. If you are willing to be consistent in your practice,  you will get better! Plus you've only done it once! 

Yoga works your body so much differently than other exercise. Even fit people end up struggling at first. No worries

thanks everyone. Going to look at the video for sure and I did consider some private sessions. Again, thanks for the wonderful input.

You could try knee to nose exercises if you wish. Kind of like Candace’s video except instead of setting the foot down near the hands hold the foot in the air and then take it back to three legged dog. Just bring that knee forward as much as you are able leaving the foot up off the ground. Proper form is better than actually touching the nose. That will build up good strength and flexibility for this and many other things in yoga. This is also good training to hold the foot up off the ground so we can set it down when and where we choose. This video gives good instructions.
Always important that movement follows the breath. Repeat thousands of times!:)

No matter what we have done before, running, weight lifting, or anything else it usually takes many years of daily practice to develop an intermediated or advanced yoga practice. The exception might be something like gymnastics.