Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jasmine

Not feeling comfortable in class, but not wanting to cause upset

6 posts in this topic

Last week I had my usual weekday afternoon class in a hot room and the instructor mentioned there would be another yoga instructor and physiotherapist in the room to help people. I thought - oh great, I can ask him about my old injury and this and that pose! What I didn't realise was I was about to spend the whole freaking class being touched by the guy helping people by physically adjusting them while the instructor advised us what to do. It was so weird and I found myself not enjoying the class one little bit.

Do you usually put complaints in after incidences like this? I haven't returned to that class out of fear of the same thing happening but I feel bad making a complaint and don't want to single myself out.

YogaByCandace likes this

I would approach the instructor and/or the guy before class and politely mention that you would prefer not to be adjusted during class. You don't need to offer a reason why and honestly, they shouldn't need one! I feel like doing it before class might make it less personal for him, especially if you haven't been to class in a while. That way it is more about your personal preference not to be adjusted vs anything he did in class previously. You may find other people didn't enjoy it either and will follow your lead.  Good luck! Hope you can get back to the class you enjoyed! 

yogafire, YogaByCandace and Jasmine like this

I would feel really uncomfortable being adjusted by a stranger, actually I wouldn't put up with it at all. It is my basic legal right in most countries of the world.  Now if I knew the teacher for a while and trusted then I would be fine with it. There are a bunch really great comments about this issue at the bottom of Candace's story . Maybe those will be helpful for you. I really feel that with all these adjustments some of these teachers (and some that are not even teachers) are way out of line. I hope you are able to resolve this for yourself.

Are the hamstrings still acting up:(

YogaByCandace and Jasmine like this

Are the hamstrings still acting up:(

A little bit, but your advice of bending the knees at the start of postures and straightening them out slowly helps immensely!

YogaByCandace likes this

Jasmine, I really don’t want to keep pestering you about this. I say that but I keep doing it anyway!

If you still have pain you have to be even more gentle. Which means don’t go into the folds as far until the pain is completely gone. 

After all the pain is gone probably 2 more years of bending the knees to continue strengthening. It takes a long time to repair and strengthen this area.

Jasmine likes this