EricaKaye

Setting price for group classes

6 posts in this topic

I was recently approached by the teachers at my sons' school about teaching yoga for the staff after school. I have never set my own prices before and struggle to know the worth and also how formally I should approach the arrangement. 

I read through Candace's teaching privates blog post http://yogabycandace.com/blog/how-to-teach-private-yoga-session and it brought up good points about liability and forms that I hadn't considered. I'd love to know how others have set up similar arrangements! 

As far as the $ issue- The per class price at the studio where I teach is $10/class or packages with better values. There are very few yoga classes or studios in this area so there is little to no competition for pricing.  There would not be a fee for the use of the space or any overhead costs for me so should I go lower? $5 seems low but $10 too high! Or are package deals the way to go? So many questions and so little business sense lol! 

Disclaimer: I'm not a teacher, just an interested student based on other discussions I've seen! :)

Why don't you approach it the other way - what is the minimum amount that would be worthwhile your time?  For example, Candace's post said the lowest she's seen was $60/hr for a private. Honestly, that gets diluted when you also factor in transportation time.  But yes, ignoring the transit time, then if you did $5 pp, then you would need at least 12 teachers to attend.  Do you have a sense of how big or small the class is? 

The other alternative is to start off as donation based, suggested minimum $5 (you can take out the minimum part of that feels weird). Hopefully as you build your student base, teachers will contribute a higher amount later.  Teachers are so under appreciated, so, it feels like it would make more sense to have a community discount rather than match a private studio.

Otherwise, does the school have any discretionary funds for the health and well-being of the teachers that they can use to pay you directly, and teachers can attend for free, like corporate yoga programs?

That's awesome that you were approached to teach at your son's school! It says something about you and the energy you put out there :) I agree with yogafire about approaching it differently. What's your time worth to you?

That being said, if you charge $5 a class and three teachers show up, you are probably going to burn out really fast. Why not put the teachers themselves in charge of figuring out the logistics? Determine what your time is worth to you, create a flyer and maybe an email with a great signature that highlights who you are and what you have to offer (like the bio your studio probably has for you), and have the teachers do the work...if they are motivated, they will work to make it affordable for them (and more exposure for you)

I charge $100 for private clients, and that's based on the time value of money for me (I already work a full-time corporate job). If I wasn't already so damn busy, I'd probably charge less simply because I'd be hungrier...of course, if you charge too little you devalue the service you provide! It's definitely a tradeoff. The local studios pay about $25/class+ a bonus for exceeding a minimum threshold. That being said, if you normally get $30 from a studio class and if you would charge $100 for a private in-home client, you might choose a rate that is somewhere in the middle...and then offer a "special discount" to your son's educators. You know, like "normally $50, but special into price of $35" or whatever.

My husband is a personal trainer and used to teach bootcamps at a place with no overhead (he bartered). He charged $20/class or $100/month unlimited (if I recall) and he offered roughly 5 classes a week. That's another option in terms of a business model.

Please update this thread when you make a decision!

Thanks for the great ideas ladies! It gives me a lot to consider!

I think I'll first have to determine how many teachers plan to attend regularly. I'd like to make a minimum of $30 a class to make it worth the drive out to the school and the time invested.  Donation based with a minimum would help take some of the discomfort out of setting a firm price! I don't think the district has any money set aside for wellness but it certainly doesn't hurt to look into it. 

Determine what your time is worth to you, create a flyer and maybe an email with a great signature that highlights who you are and what you have to offer (like the bio your studio probably has for you), and have the teachers do the work...if they are motivated, they will work to make it affordable for them (and more exposure for you)

I really like this idea. It could help spread the word to teachers district wide as opposed to just the group that works with the lady that approached me. Yoga would be so beneficial to the staff (I used to teach elementary and I know how stressful this time of year is!) and I'd love to share my love of yoga with as many of the teachers as possible! 

This is always a struggle for me too. I started out basically renting space and had to set my own rates, which is a lot easier when it's a public class. But when it's a special group, it's nice to discount it a bit, per person if you will have a committed number of people. if it's going to turn into another public class, then keep the rates closer  to the same. You can always choose a model like this - $50 for the first 6 people, $5/p above that. Just as an example. Ultimately it's all about what your comfortable with - if you really don't feel like it's worth your time for less that $XX, then maybe you go with a flat rate. It helps that they reached out to you - it puts you in the driver seat. But I totally understand being in that space between under and over valuing, and not wanting to scare anyone away! Good luck, and let us know how it pans out!

I love all these ideas, and was rushing down to the bottom to suggest the idea that Brenskip mentioned- $50 for x amount, and then x per person after that. I like that one the best! 

But I 100% understand undervaluing yourself - why do we do that?! Drives me nuts. I still struggle with how much to charge for private, corporate and other events. I think part of the problem is that I'm such a bargain shopper - I hate paying full price for anything and love a good deal. So how can I charge x amount for something when I know I personally wouldn't pay that myself?! Haha. Ugh!

brenskip55 and Lorelei like this