twinmama26

How do you deal with sweaty hands and feet?

9 posts in this topic

I hope I'm not the only one with this problem...Once my heart rate gets going several minutes into my practice, my palms and the bottom of my feet get sweaty and I slip everywhere. It got a bit dangerous yesterday, my foot slipped back when I was in warrior. I've tried using a towel, wiping them off excessively but then that takes me out of the pose. I've tried baby powder, that was a big mistake. I was thinking about buying some yoga gloves and seeing how those work. How do you all deal with it? It's driving me nuts. Thanks in advance!

Edited by twinmama26
Repeat of words

My hands used to get really sweaty when I'd practice yoga. About halfway through my teacher training program they stopped getting sweaty for whatever reason...hey, I'm not complaining! Anyway...

I tried using chalk, which definitely helped. I know other yogis that use it as well. I'm not sure where you'd buy it, but weightlifters and gymnasts frequently use it and so I'm guessing a sporting goods store would carry it.

Three words: Jade yoga mats. They are made out of real rubber and are very different than the typical yoga mat. In my opinion are by far the best yoga mats out there. Good luck.

....Three words: Jade yoga mats. They are made out of real rubber and are very different than the typical yoga mat. In my opinion are by far the best yoga mats out there. Good luck.

Try a sticky mat

Not to belabor the point, but you will know that Jade are great mats if you ever try a different mat. I forgot my mat one day and used a loaner from the gym, I felt like I was on a skating rink!

YogaByCandace likes this

Not to belabor the point, but you will know that Jade are great mats if you ever try a different mat. I forgot my mat one day and used a loaner from the gym, I felt like I was on a skating rink!

Just to add to the Jade mat testimonials... :) Don't worry, my hands and feet get sweaty too. They stopped slipping when I switched to a Jade mat. Just don't put it in the direct sun (when storing in a car perhaps or trying to dry it out) or the stickiness will go away.

I have this problem too! I first tried a yoga towel over my cheap mat but it shifted too much for me. It was an ok solution but buying a good, sticky mat was key! Well worth the investment! 

yogafire likes this

You are SO NOT ALONE! I'm the same way, I sweat a lot, so my hands and feet slide all over once my heart rate gets up there. A couple things - a good sticky mat helps: Jade mats are great, and I've heard rave reviews about the Manduka Eko mat as well. Also, in time the strength that you develop helps to keep from sliding so much. You'll still be sweaty, but look at it as an extra challenge :)