JessicaCarolyn

Yoga Blocks

5 posts in this topic

Hi Everyone, 

I am new to yoga and have noticed that blocks would be very helpful in my practice. However, I am unsure of what type of block to get. In your experiences what blocks are most versatile: foam, cork or wooden blocks (or any others that I'm unaware of)? I would only like to purchase one type of block (for now at least) so I would like something that is the most versatile and is of good quality. Do you have any suggestions? 

Looking forward to your responses,

Jessica

I like foam and cork blocks, both for different reasons.  I like foam blocks to rest my head on in forward folds and Child's Pose (and I use them as landing gear for my head in Crow in case I fall forward!) because they are nice and soft.  I like cork blocks because they are solid and stable, so they are nice for Half Moon and other balancing poses.  I also use them under my shoulders in Chaturanga Dandasana for correct alignment.  I also like that cork blocks are heavy, because I can use them for strengthening as well.  I am not a fan of wooden blocks because they are very slippery on wood floors, and I happen to have wood floors (lots of studios do!).  Also, wooden blocks are a little too hard for me...  Foam blocks are very soft, and cork blocks are pretty hard, but wooden blocks are SUPER hard!  Hope my opinion helps!  :)

yogafire and YogaByCandace like this

I find both to work well, but the foam blocks are cheaper, and I think more versatile. I'd suggest foam personally. Often times you can find them at Marshalls or TJ Maxx for under $10, so that's a great place to start. And then if you find that you really do want something more firm/sturdy, then you're not out very much $. :) Hope that helps!

robert likes this