rmc080

Yoga Mats

7 posts in this topic

Hi Everyone! 

I am fairly new to yoga and am looking to purchase my first real yoga mat. To be honest, I am quite overwhelmed by the huge selections and choices of material, sizes, thickness, you name it! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

A frequent discussion, but, I guess, the unanimous winner is Jade Mat

It's a few bucks more than a cheapie that you can find at Walgreens...but remember... you get what you pay for.

Thank you Larry, I will add that one to my list.

During my search I came across a few eco-friendly/natural jute mats. They are anti-slip and come in an assortment of colors, length and thickness. What are you thoughts on these?

I have a lotus yoga mat. While not super expensive or thick, what's nice about it is that it has lines on it for alignment purposes. As someone who practices mostly at home, that's extremely helpful!

Kerri likes this

I used to have a domyos mat, in Belgium, but it was too thin. In the case of my classes, sometimes the instructor tells us to align our mats side by side to have as much space available for latecomers or in case the class is really crowded. And for that reason I'm also thinking of buying another mat (even though my mat is long enough, can't avoid bumping into neighbors with that kind of rule). So good luck!

If you get a choose to get a thinner mat, you could try rolling the sides up to protect yourself, or add blankets to the practice as well. I'm sure thick mats are nice; this is just how I adapt my practice with a thin mat.

A few months ago there was some drama in this forum between another member and I, it was called 'Crowded classrooms' or something like that. Since then there have still been some space related issues because our studio is pretty tight, but nothing bad. And you're right, a thinner mat has advantages but I prefer having a bigger, thicker mat myself for better grip.