LarryD517

Inspirational "yoga in the news" stories

18 posts in this topic

I think we're all, to one degree or another, yoga enthusiasts. 

I know I am and enjoy seeing inspirational yoga stories, news items, etc. I love sharing these stories to my friends and family. Let's use this thread to post inspirational stories.

For those that might not know, to comply with proper netiquette and adhere to Fair Usage it's best to quote four or five paragraphs from external content and then link to original web site

I'll start with Richard Widmark's story

650-Lb. Man Discovers Yoga and Begins His Weight-Loss Journey

At his heaviest, Richard Widmark was 669 lbs. But after a lifetime of weight struggles, he has found something that means more to him than food ever did: yoga. 

A friend introduced him to the practice more than two months ago. 
richard-wilmark-2-435.thumb.jpg.65f85085
"I'd tried the gym and doing things on my own, but I finally said, 'Let me just try this and see what happens,' " the EMT, 38, tells PEOPLE. 

Soon he was hooked, practicing five days a week thanks to a great instructor – Heather Dombrovskiy from Healthy Life Yoga

"She told me that if I didn't show up, she'd come to my house," he says with a laugh. "I believed her!" 

The Richmond, Virginia, resident remembers his "aha moment" coming about four weeks after he started doing yoga.

Read more at http://www.people.com/article/richard-widmark-650-lbs-yoga-weight-loss

mimisouth, afriske and scottcraft like this

This is a great topic Larry. I could fill pages myself.

Teen Fights Illness And Inspires Us All Through Her Yoga Practice

For the past year, Donis has been doing yoga in the Texas Children’s Hospital, where she spends most of her time while undergoing treatment. Her immune system is so weak from the chemo that she has to wear a special mask to breathe through, her body is fatigued from the illness, and yet she’s been able to keep up her yoga and share photos of her practice almost every day oninstagram. It’s not just about the physical poses, though.

Day 24: Ananda Balasana | Happy Baby Pose #LetsGETFlexyIn2015 Yoga Challenge | Fought against the doctors to do my pose today, had two other doctors come in and tell me not to, had my nurse tell me I couldn’t, then had my nurse tell my doctor when she found out I already did haha

briana-donis-yoga-500x529.png

Read more at Yoga Dork

THE HEALING POWER OF YOGA by Kate Moody

I feel like some days I have the best job in the world. Like today!

About 3 years ago, I walked along side a client for 12 months in one of my restoration rehabilitation yoga & meditation programs. This woman was undergoing a raw rehab process from a motorbike accident that almost claimed her life.

She came to me in a wheelchair with two crushed legs, pinned & plated in the most horrific ways I've ever seen.....and asked if she could work me. 

read more in title-link
afriske likes this

This 96-year-old Yoga Teacher Just Changed My Mind About Pretty Much Everything

"Just because you’re a 96-year-old, doesn’t mean you have to act like one. That’s what Tao Porchon Lynch, one unbelievable yoga instructor with the mindset of a 20-year-old, has shown me. 

She not only made me believe that I can achieve anything physically with my body, but that I can do it at any age—yes, even when I’m 90." (read more with video in title - link) 

And in Yoga Journal - The World’s Oldest Yoga Teacher: Her Secrets to a Long, Active, Happy Life

http://www.yogajournal.com/lifestyle/worlds-oldest-yoga-teacher-shares-secrets-long-active-life/

robert, afriske and mimisouth like this

I didn't know which one to put in here next but I will get back to the serious ones later. I do find this one inspirational. If we practice enough we can do anything.

100 Yoga Poses By Jared Six 3

There are 4 of these videos on his channel. I thought Piano Pose was the funniest. Hey Candace how about a YBC video!:D
afriske likes this

I am glad that everyone likes the stories. My comment that we can do anything was a general comment, not to make a fancy video. Think of where you were before you started and where you are now.

This next one is very long so I will give the brief version. In this story there is a woman that was thought to be a great teacher. But all the time she was destroying her body. This was partly her own fault but she also had her teachers telling her this is the way yoga is! It is unbelievable to read through this and see how widespread the problem was. But in the end she was able to get out of this situation and use yoga to heal. There are so many lessons in this story.

Edited by Anahata
robert, afriske and yogafire like this

A couple of stories: Yoga better than a cocktail of prescription drugs

Share Your Story Featured Yogi Devon Healey

http://yogamedicine.com/share-your-story-featured-yogi-devon-healey/

“Devon is a nurse and yoga teacher who discovered yoga while working with organ transplant patients. She quickly noticed that the lessons she was learning in her practice where applicable in treating patients who were suffering from severe pain. “

“Over a series of days I had a patient who had undergone a transplant and was experiencing severe pain all over her body. She had a PCA (patient controlled analgesia) with high dose dilaudid and various other narcotic prescriptions, none of which seemed to help with her pain.”

Share Your Story Featured Yogi – Francis Castiller

http://yogamedicine.com/share-story-featured-yogi-francis-castiller/

One week prior to a marathon, I bent over to pick something up and had the most unbelievable back pain set in. It literally paralyzed me.”
“Laying in bed I thought about how any of my medicine colleagues might treat me. Most likely, I would be given prescriptions for anti-inflammatories, muscle relaxants and the pain was severe enough to warrant narcotics.”
“I would have never thought how effective child’s pose can be for back pain. Within a few days and ultimately in one week I was at the start line for my marathon.”
(Note: This doctor makes an important distinction between muscle issues and other more complicated joint or disease issues. With any back issues you should always try to get professional medical advice to help make your own decisions.)

If you are unaware of how dangerous properly used prescription drugs are here is Harvard Medical University Center for Ethics

New Prescription Drugs: A Major Health Risk With Few Offsetting Advantages
 This makes prescription drugs a major health risk, ranking 4th with stroke as a leading cause of death. The European Commission estimates that adverse reactions from prescription drugs cause 200,000 deaths; so together, about 328,000 patients in the U.S. and Europe die from prescription drugs each year. The FDA does not acknowledge these facts and instead gathers a small fraction of the cases.

I was looking for the story about the woman who does yoga with one arm. This isn't the same one but there are many.

16 Incredible Stories of Healing Through Yoga (2nd story down the page)

"I started doing yoga about 10 years ago to help me with my posture. I was born without my left hand from the elbow down, and I had a lot of pain in my back from the lack of balance. As a person with a different body from other people, I never felt quite comfortable in [class environments] where it felt like part of the goal was to be the prettiest.

That’s when I started learning more about yoga philosophy and coming to understand my practice in relationship to myself, not to others. There are things I can’t do and shouldn’t do; me doing them would just be to say I did or to prove I can, when it’s not really the right way for me to practice. I’ve come to learn that it does not matter what everyone else is doing. 

Something I always wanted to do but thought I never would is any kind of inversion arm balance. No crow, no handstand. But last week I did my first forearm stand! It just took 10 years of building core strength, the support of an amazing teacher, and the patience to be okay with where I’m at."

yogafire likes this

This Double Amputee Yoga Instructor Gives Back By Teaching The Discipline That Changed His Life

Nevins is not your typical yoga instructor. He is a heroic Iraq war veteran who travels across the country to teach yoga, despite the fact that he lost both of his legs due to an improvised explosive device, or IED, detonating beneath his patrol vehicle during the Battle of Fallujah, according to the New York Post. Nevins lost one leg instantly. The other one could not be saved, even after 30 surgeries. But Nevins persisted.

Read more at The Veterans Site http://blog.theveteranssite.com/cs-yoga-amputee/

robert likes this

Hi there,

I found this 

A basketball team that use yoga! I love it!

Yoga is a system of personal growth and development
– it is a lifelong journey, not a destination.

11 Amazing Seniors Doing Yoga

http://www.doyouyoga.com/11-amazing-seniors-doing-yoga-18985/

afriske likes this

Share Your Story Featured Yogi – Lara Swinarton

read more in title - link

Yoga is something that continues to evolve and be a safety net in my life. It started about 7 years ago when my then husband had become incredibly volatile and abusive upon his return from serving in Iraq. His PTSD and the actions that surrounded it found me chain smoking, overweight, and completely broken and didn’t even recognize myself at all anymore – essentially I was a shell of the vibrant driven person I had been. 

At the suggestion of a friend I tried yoga. I was so emotionally and physically drained and weak, 15 minutes was about all I could do, but I did it. Soon, 15 minutes turned to 20, than 30 …I couldn’t afford classes so I bought a book and would write the poses on paper and do them on my lunch break at work- I found a new hope in my heart that I could not explain!

I started doing yoga in the park with friends, and running “stockroom yoga” at the retail store I worked at.