Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
YogaByCandace

Life/travel/beauty Hacks

16 posts in this topic

I just saw this post about how to cut onions without crying and thought I'd share because I find cutting onions downright painful! Need to buy matches and will report back, but it got me thinking - do you have any hacks you wanna share? 

Here are some I use: 

-Use a bowl as a speaker for your iPhone

-Hydrogen peroxide will remove blood stains

-Baking soda will absorb any gross smells from the fridge if you leave an open box of it overnight

-Use a homemade body scrub with coconut oil and after you since, you can shave your legs and get the smoothest shave because the coconut oil acts like a shaving cream

-for travel, bring an empty water bottle through airport security and fill it up in a water fountain on the other side so you don't have to spend an arm and a leg for bottled water

Yogabliss, Meugenio, PaulaH and 1 other like this

When I first read the "how to cut onions" hack, I thought it said that the match had to be lit. I was a little worried there haha! Have you tried mixing different essential oils in your homemade body scrub? The empty water bottle tip made me laugh because silly me usually fills up my water bottle before leaving the house. Then, while in line for security, I realize I still have a full water bottle and have to chug all of it before getting to the front of the line. I just never learn my lesson I suppose haha.

Turi, Mana and YogaByCandace like this

I just saw this post about how to cut onions without crying and thought I'd share because I find cutting onions downright painful! Need to buy matches and will report back, but it got me thinking - do you have any hacks you wanna share? 

If you don't have matches, just get some water in your mouth and keep it there while cutting. That's all :)

YogaByCandace and yogagrammy like this

If you don't have matches, just get some water in your mouth and keep it there while cutting. That's all :)

wait, what?! like take a sip of water and keep it in your mouth while you cut?! 

When I first read the "how to cut onions" hack, I thought it said that the match had to be lit. I was a little worried there haha! Have you tried mixing different essential oils in your homemade body scrub? The empty water bottle tip made me laugh because silly me usually fills up my water bottle before leaving the house. Then, while in line for security, I realize I still have a full water bottle and have to chug all of it before getting to the front of the line. I just never learn my lesson I suppose haha.

yes, I love love love essential oils in my body scrubs - the best!

Meugenio likes this

yes, I love love love essential oils in my body scrubs - the best!

I've never used coconut oil before, but I've always been interested in trying it since I keep reading so many good things about it. When you make your body scrubs with different essential oils, does it ever smell overly coconuty because of the coconut oil?

I've never used coconut oil before, but I've always been interested in trying it since I keep reading so many good things about it. When you make your body scrubs with different essential oils, does it ever smell overly coconuty because of the coconut oil?

I don't think so...but then again I love coconut smell so...? This is the recipe I use.

Meugenio and Yogabliss like this

My desk is always a mess with wires from monitors and speakers and chargers, but my favorite hack for these has to be sorting them using toe separators.  You know, those little foamy things you put your toes in when you paint them to keep them from touching and rubbing the paint?  The wires are still visible against the wall behind my desk but at least their organized and held in one place with pink zebra foam.  

Turi, YogaByCandace and Nix like this

My desk is always a mess with wires from monitors and speakers and chargers, but my favorite hack for these has to be sorting them using toe separators.  You know, those little foamy things you put your toes in when you paint them to keep them from touching and rubbing the paint?  The wires are still visible against the wall behind my desk but at least their organized and held in one place with pink zebra foam.  

Love that!

We have a large metal pot in the garage that is used solely as an 'iPhone speaker' :D  It is great for when my husband is working on his hobby bike, compared to me scolding him every time for brining the nice speakers out while he is grinding and painting. Cannot wait to try the onion match trick!

YogaByCandace likes this

Winter Car Hack - wiping your windshield with white vinegar helps keep frost at bay, and if you do not mind looking silly place a sock each on the windshield wipers so you do not need to clear them of snow. Glad we have a double garage this year, but in the past these tricks saved us much aggravation on many dark, cold mornings. 

Nix, Turi, YogaByCandace and 1 other like this

Winter Car Hack - wiping your windshield with white vinegar helps keep frost at bay, and if you do not mind looking silly place a sock each on the windshield wipers so you do not need to clear them of snow. Glad we have a double garage this year, but in the past these tricks saved us much aggravation on many dark, cold mornings. 

That is brilliant!!!

Oak likes this

That is brilliant!!!

I recently searched Pinterest for winter hacks and found the vinegar trick and sock trick! Though some directions require you to dilute the vinegar I never have. There are also other 'recipes' that call for rubbing alcohol. One cool hack I found was to use a large carpet sample or rug to cover the windshield, blades included. In the morning simply shake it off and place in your trunk incase it snows while you are at work etc. The added bonus if you get stuck the carpet can act as a traction pad. 

YogaByCandace and Turi like this

Also (this might be common knowledge, not sure) cooking spray on the seal of your car door keeps it from freezing shut.

When traveling, you can use an empty Chapstick container to hold some extra cash or an empty deodorant container for cash & an emergency credit card, etc. Fairly pickpocket-proof ;)

Turi and YogaByCandace like this