Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mantishugo

Best Yoga to Lose Weight

15 posts in this topic

Hello everyone,

I have been looking forward to knowing the best yoga practice for losing weight. I weigh 78KG and I want to lose it within a month. Can anybody suggest me any yoga which help me shed at least 5 KG in one month? Thanks in advance. :mellow:

Others can help here, but losing weight is a combination of changing  eating habits and exercise.

i don't have any specific poses, but you can easily lose weight by cutting down on carbs

NO bread, NO pasta NO rice, NO cereal NO pizza NO potatoes 

NO, NONE as in NEVER 

drink two tall glasses of water ten minutes before eating each meal and another  full glass during the meal

i lost 70 pounds in nine months. I exercised regularly for years, but didn't lose weight until I changed my eating habits. Not saying exercise can't help, but exercise alone might not be enough

Yep, I agree with Larry that losing weight is a lifestyle change. Eating well in my book means no processed foods, no refined sugar, no pasta/bread/cereal/etc and lots of veggies, meats and fermented foods like traditionally made kim chi, and sauerkraut with every meal for added probiotics which will help digestion and gut health. I don't agree with drinking directly before or during a meal because I think it disrupts digestion (here's more info on that from a quick google search and it's in line with what the doctor who wrote the book of the diet that I've followed for healing my gut following longterm antibiotic treatment for lyme disease).

As for the best yoga practice for losing weight? I would say to find a balance between a style that gets your heart rate up (power or vinyasa) and develop a good gentle practice to complement that with something like hatha or yin. 

Robbie likes this

(based on my loose understanding, do your own research).

The point about no carbs raised by larry above stems from the bodies modes of metabolism, ether it can burn fats or sugars (carbs), however it has a preference for sugars and will not burn fat unless it's denied of access to sugars, which is where 'no carbs period' comes from.

What little I know abut this is from "the sugar hill", a one-off podcast done by Steve Gibson/Leo Laporte. https://www.grc.com/health/lowcarb-podcasts.htm

Edited by robert

Thanks for your suggestions. I consume lots of carbs in my diet and I will try to control it. Special thanks to Larry for his detailed advice. It's very hard for me to abstain from those meals as pasta, rice, sugar and bread are my favorites.

EricaKaye likes this

They're EVERYONE'S favorites. They're addictive. As happy as I am to have  shed the weight, if you put pizza in front of me, I'll eat...and once I start its impossible to stop, If there are four or five slices sitting there, I'll eat them all. 

The best way to curb an addiction is to avoid the "trigger" foods in the first place. Avoid the first bite and you won't desire it. In my opinion, there is no moderation when it comes to carbs, once you take that first bite, the battle is lost 

read up on Atkins diet 

Edited by LarryD517
YogaByCandace likes this

I can't say I'm a fan of the Atkins diet. No carbs ever! Seriously?! Everyone I know who has done that diet has fallen off the wagon at some point.I don't think denying yourself food, especially your favourite food, is a healthy lifestyle. Food is one of the greatest joys in life, the body and mind need all types of food.

I eat carbs all the time. I just ate a lovely big bowl of porridge. I love pepperoni pizza. I weigh about 70Kg. I am a big fan of a balanced diet - everything in the right proportion. Sure, I limit some foods; High saturated fat, high sugar, high salt, starchy food, but I don't deny myself anything. I have over a number of years educated myself to eat healthier. I eat a lot of of fruit and vegetables. Lean protein like chicken breast and salmon. Nothing really very scientific. I don't weigh my food or limit my portion sizes. The biggest revelation I have found is that when you start lowering and cutting out crap in you diet and replacing it with healthier alternatives, you stop depending on the artificial flavour boost that added sugar and additives give food, and you start appreciating the subtle flavours of natural food. You really have to embrace this concept. When you look forward to your quinoa and mixed bean salad at lunchtime then you know you've become a health food bore :) 

I am aware that this thread started as a question about the best type of yoga to lose weight so here is my tuppence on that too :P. I would have thought all yoga! Yoga is great because it takes your body through a variety of low intensity and high intensity exercises. The body responds to these different intensities by burning fat and calories in different ratios. My philosophy with exercise is the same as with food - it's all about balance. Combine a balanced diet with a balanced exercise programme and you will become fit and lean.

No carbs ever! Seriously?!

During weight loss, it's not "no carbs", ... fruits are okay, etc. But none of the "fun stuff"

If you want to lose weight, give up bread/pasta/cereal/pizza/rice (yes, that includes sushi...you can eat the fish if you want)/potatoes for one month.

• After a few days you wont crave it.
  • After a week you will walk passed a slice of pizza and wont give it any thought.
  • After a month and you've lost 10 to 12 pounds you'll ask yourself why you would ever eat that garbage
  • After a few months you'll be frustrated since none of your clothes will fit

Folks always say...

"every now and then" ... "moderation" ... etc. 

...okay, but don't expect to see much weigh loss progress. Ask anyone who is overweight ... would you prefer to take off 20-40 pounds or would you prefer to have pizza from time to time. As a life long overweight individual, I would have taken the weight loss

• I started at 256 (or more?) and dreamed of one day being 210.
  • I thought 200 was impossible.
  • I thought the online charts for my suggested weight (I'm 6'3" tall) were total BS when the said I should weigh 187.
  • When I hit 186 I realized they were 100% correct. 

I've celebrated one year under 190 and I attribute it to AVOIDING BREAD PASTA PIZZA CEREAL RICE and POTATOES. 

Anyone out there prefer a slice of pizza over losing 20-40 pounds?

Now that I've stabilized, I've introduced carbs back into my diet. I practice moderation, but to truly achieve weight loss one needs a different life style and eating pattern.

BTW. I'm now 15 pounds lighter than the "after photo" on the right

Tell me...do you think giving up bread and pizza is worth it?

before and after.jpg

I'm on board with eating lower carbs and getting those carbs from vegetables and avoiding processed food. It has worked well for me. I don't starve myself or go hungry. I eat healthy snacks. I also pretty firmly believe that diet is more important than exercise when it comes to weight lose. Exercise is necessary, but diet is more important.

I also pretty firmly believe that diet is more important than exercise when it comes to weight lose. Exercise is necessary, but diet is more important.

+1

I did the same level of exercise in both the before and after photos above (a 'control/variable' experiment)

I'm with Robbie here. Cutting out entire food groups seems too extreme for my taste and not all that sustainable in the long term. I love food, and the wider range of things I eat, the happier I am. A time eventually comes when you truly look forward to your pasta (or quinoa) with sautéed Brussel sprouts.

Also, I'd take my focus away from losing X amount of weight. I don't weight myself. Instead, I focus on making sure my clothing fits right (I still have clothes I used to wear some fifteen years ago when I know for a fact I was thinner), on how my body feels, how much exercise I'm able to do before getting too tired to move*, how much stronger I'm becoming. Maybe working with a doctor to have an idea as to what your blood pressure, cholesterol levels, etc. are like will give you an idea as to how healthy you are at this moment and what goals you want to reach as far as your health and overall well being.

Vinyasa, ashtanga and power yoga have all helped me lose weight, but hatha and yin yoga have also helped me stay on healthy levels. I see a lot more muscle definition on my legs than before I started a daily, consistent yoga practice and it's not a super demanding program either. I try to alternate days with a strong, physical practice with days that are more about subtle details. That way I don't get overwhelmed or bored.

* Not really because I have severe anaemia and I get tired way more easily than I'd like, but you get the idea.

I'm with Robbie here. Cutting out entire food groups seems too extreme for my taste and not all that sustainable in the long term. I love food, and the wider range of things I eat, the happier I am. A time eventually comes when you truly look forward to your pasta (or quinoa) with sautéed Brussel sprouts.

Agreed, but there's a difference between someone possibly 5-10 pounds overweight who wants to maintain balance but would like to trim down...and someone (in my case) 70 pounds overweight (there's a name for that...obese!) who decide he was tired of being fat. No one loves pizza more than me (I have no problem eating an entire pie) but until I went cold turkey on fun foods...I wasn't able to lose weight. I now enjoy pizza and all the other fun foods...in moderation.

To me it's like exercise, what works for one might not be the best for someone else. In this thread there are many ideas and strategies. One should do their own homework and find out what is best for them. I watch Candace's exercise vids on Instagram and there's no way I would ever be able to do that...but I still exercise 7 days a week. 

yogafire and YogaByCandace like this

I've found there are healthy and tasteful alternates for pretty much everything. Yes it takes planning and it can be expensive, but for me it's worth it. 

Robbie likes this

According to eyogaguru regular practice of these asana and proper diet helps to lose weight and belly both. Thanks for this information.