Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Anahata

After many years I still find new ‘spots’ Halasana

4 posts in this topic

I always knew Halasana with the toes tucked under. I was following one of my videos the other day. When I get to Halasana I obviously never see the teacher. For some reason I happened to notice that she practiced with the tops of her feet flat on the mat. If you try it maybe be careful, it was really intense on the tops of the feet for me. I also looked and this is the ‘proper’ way it is taught in Ashtanga. Has anyone else practiced or tried this way? Did your feet survive? :D

Hildegard and KristiSmithYoga like this

That's so great you found a new discovery, it's nice when new things come up unexpected. I can't answer your question though - I get neck pain when doing shoulder stand and plow and skip these in my practice.

This brings up a more general question for me - this seems to be the difference between pointing and flexing the foot.  Are there guidelines on when to point vs. flex the foot, or does it really just depend on each asana?

KristiSmithYoga likes this

I think pointing or flexing depends on the pose and what you want to get out of it.
In this pose I was trying to get a stretch on the tops of the feet and ankles. I have bad feet and need this. Flexing would be a stretch on the bottom.
Sometimes pointing gets the energy to travel through the center of the legs and outward. Flexing contains it. Flexing the feet brings strength into the legs for seated postures and standing postures as well.
Other times we point or flex the toes to protect the knees in hip opening poses. I don’t think that one should be taken too far. What happens if we lose the engagement/protection of the muscles and put a sudden strain on the knee.
Different muscles strengthen for each one.
Maybe it just looks or feels nicer to us.
Probably many more reasons as well.
“The toes are part of the pose” Haha

Thank you for bringing this up, Anahata, as I'm always looking for ways to work on and protect the soles of my feet. Stretching your feet, as you define it, is what I need to avoid pain or discomfort on the soles of my feet.