YogaMom

Kind of discouraged

16 posts in this topic

Hi, 

I recently finished my Yoga teacher and kids yoga teacher training. I am currently giving a class for adults in my company which is quite good booked. 

And i started a kids yoga class (one for 3-6 year old, one for 7-10 year old). As this is quite new around here, I did not expect to be overrun by parents, but I made quite some marketing and thought it would be quite excepted. I have for the younger ones now 4 kids and for the older ones only one. And I am kind of discouraged now. The kids I do yoga with like the class and the parents are really happy and give me great feedback. But I am really worried because especially for the older group I do not have any kids and the course is fun but with only one kid the games are not as funny as they could be. I really do not know what to do now. I am not sure how and if I get new kids for that course, and I am not sure if I should do the older group with onky one kid... 

I am sorry, I just thought I share this with you, because I got so many good advises here and I hoped you had some experiences to share with me... 

Greetings from sunny Austria, 

Bettina

YogaByCandace likes this

What kind of marketing did you do for the older kids? You could check with the local schools to see if you could send home a flyer. We are always getting youth sports/activity sign up forms from school. Some we never would have known about otherwise! Maybe offer the first class free to bring people in? Or offer a special discount or prize to the kids who bring a friend to class? 

Do you know anyone involved with your youth sports leagues? You could offer your class for older kids as a compliment to their sports training. My boys weren't interested in yoga until I talked about it as a way to balance and support their soccer training.

I think it is awesome you are offering yoga for kids. I hope that you begin to get more interest in your programs as word spreads about the great things you are doing! Good luck! I love your profile picture, by the way! <3

Hi Erica, 

thanks for your answer. I did send flyers by post, I brought some to schools and kindergartens together with posters and I used facebook and local groups to spread the information. First lesson is always free, so this did not get too much attention. 

I unfortunately do not know anyone from youth sports leagues. But this would be a good idea, just need to find something about this...

thank you for your kind words. Yoga with kids isjust fantastic, they are natural yogis and enjoy themselves so much!! 

Thanks, that is my little one and me, she is always with me when I do Yoga ;)

How long have you been offering this? May be that you just need to wait a bit longer considering you said it's new in the area. People can take a while to take action on things.

YogaByCandace likes this

It's been a month now, and all kids I currently have were there at the beginning already. They found me because I was searching for kids for a foto shooting, some joined class than. I did not attract anyone new. And I wonder if I could go one for the older group with only one kid...

YogaByCandace likes this

When I first started teaching yoga on the beach it took a solid three months to gain a bit of a following (and even then, it was like maybe 10 people at the most), so maybe it just needs a bit of time. Keep telling the parents to spread the word to other parents - nothing is as powerful as word of mouth. 

I would also create a flyer and hang it up in libraries, health food stores, physiotherapists' offices, etc. - Think of where the people visit that you would like to join your group and hang your posters there. 

I think with time it will grow! Keep us posted and, chin up! (It's an American expression that means don't be discouraged.) :) 

robert likes this

Thanks Camdace, yeah, the word of mouth sure is most important here. 

I was already hanging posters in some stores and schools, maybe I should hang out some more... 

I sure will keep you posted on the progress ;)

we have in Austria a saying: you only give up a letter (in that case "give up" means the same as "post a letter"), I just hope it speeds up a little :) 

YogaByCandace likes this

Maybe the flyer itself isn't doing your classes justice. You could try asking those that do show up what makes them want to take your class, and ask them what sort of flyer appeals to them. For example, if your flyer shows you doing a beautiful pose on the beach at sunrise, you may not appeal to kids who are probably more apt to wanting something that appears to be less serene and more playful.

Ditto what others said, though. Your flyer and other forms of marketing could be perfect but that your area needs more exposure before it's ready to act. Best of luck!

robert likes this

Don't be too discouraged. When I first started teaching I have lots of no-show classes, especially since I wasn't really associated with a studio - it's super hard to draw people in! You could try offering a referral incentive - offer a discount to the students who refer a new student. Other than that, keep at it and be patient. It takes time, but ultimately you will get there. :)

afriske and robert like this

Thanks for the answers!

Regarding the Flyer: I made it with printed Hands and of course pictures with Kids. I attache them here ;) I actually Need to attract the parents more than the Kids though... well...

So far, no real improvement. But one positive Thing: I was aksed by a local Kids Center to give a course for the younger Kids starting with March ;) I am soooooooo happy about that...

IMG_4034.JPG

IMG_4044.JPG

I agree with the others, those are great looking flyers, and getting the opportunity to teach the group is certainly a step in the right direction.

yogafire likes this

The flyers look great.  Stick with it.  A month isn't very long for word to get around.  I think that if you keep working on getting out the word about what you have to offer, it'll pay off.  

robert likes this

Thank you all for your positive answers!

I now made a Report for a local newspaper (including a paid advertisment, but okay). I hope this helps a Little too.

Currently, there is nothing positive to say... I have 4 Kids in the class, and 3 of them are sick now for the second week, so I had to tell the 4th one a second time that there will be no class today... I am really sorry for her and I feel guilty, because she paid for the whole course and now I tell her for the 2nd time there will be no class because she would be the only one... class would be hard for her and me, it is quite a lot less fun... :(

I feel really bad...