afriske

Reiki?

6 posts in this topic

Hi, guys!

So, I've been working on some self-care lately and have been starting to look at Reiki and more spiritual methods of healing, although I'm definitely not disregarding modern medicine by any means. Just curious and want to try new things and see how it can benefit me.

Anyone have particular knowledge of reiki or good resources on it? Opinions? Experiences? Any other types of healing?

mimisouth likes this

I have had one reiki session and one osteopathy session. Neither were anything to write home about for me, but I have heard that it really depends on the practitioner. The reiki practitioner really put a lot of thought and effort into the session. She did a reading, she said a little prayer, she held her hands over me and 'cleared the air' (???) but I just didn't feel anything. I remember laying there like 'ummmmmm.' The osteopathy was even more disappointing because I paid for it. (The reiki was from a fellow yoga teacher trainee.) He literally put me on a bed, face down, and rocked my hips side to side and then told me my spine was crooked (it's not). What a waste of money. He also smelled bad. I was so put off by that experience that I've yet to see another osteopath again. On the other hand though, I have friends who swear by their osteopath so maybe I just got a bad one. Or maybe I am just not "open" to these types of methods of healing? 

When I can actually feel something going on - like with acupuncture or massage - I truly feel a difference. Maybe I'm just not there spiritually enough yet to notice any healing taking place from the reiki and osteopathy sessions I had...

I have done my first degree (basic) reiki (years ago). It truly is an individual experience. When you do your first degree you have to learn self-treatment and you work on yourself to get to the right place physically, spiritually and emotionally before you are able to practice on anyone else. I found the self-treatment incredibly beneficial, emotionally and mentally. I find this with yoga too.

It really depends on the type of illness you have and your own individual circumstances. It can't hurt to have a go.

Reiki can take a number of sessions before you feel anything. It is based on a relationship between you and the practitioner and so there are many "things" which need to fall into place.

Candace - I found the same with the osteopath. However, a physiotherapist was great. But I haven't taken to acupuncture - I had acupuncture on my face and there was some horrible form of infection (even though disposable needles were used) and I wasn't able to work for weeks because my face was wrecked! So emotionally and physically draining.

Look forward to hearing about your experiences afriske! All the best! 

YogaByCandace likes this

I love the idea of Reiki. Well, I loved the idea until I went to a workshop (that turned into a sales pitch) where I thought I felt something for just a split second, then nothing after that. And where they explained to me that a Reiki practitioner has to pass the power to you. It's not something you can learn, rather you must be given the power, and then taught to harness it. I wasn't even skeptical, I wanted to believe, but I walked out feeling cheated. Perhaps it was just the wrong person.

YogaByCandace likes this

On 20 November 2015 at 00:44:30, brenskip55 said:

I love the idea of Reiki. Well, I loved the idea until I went to a workshop (that turned into a sales pitch) where I thought I felt something for just a split second, then nothing after that. And where they explained to me that a Reiki practitioner has to pass the power to you. It's not something you can learn, rather you must be given the power, and then taught to harness it. I wasn't even skeptical, I wanted to believe, but I walked out feeling cheated. Perhaps it was just the wrong person.

It very much is about finding the right person. And remember, when you're practising reiki you are giving yourself/your energy into healing someone. That's a huge ask, and you have to consider whether you're going to be able to treat others or whether you want to keep it for yourself - the idea is to share the power and the love and the healing. I hope you find what's right for you x