Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CourtneyAJW

Choosing a studio for Yoga Teacher Training

3 posts in this topic

Hello all!

Question: How did you determine where to complete your yoga teacher training and what style of yoga was best for you?

Background: I'm at the point in my practice where I'm starting to consider teacher training. At least 50% of my motivation right now is to move my own practice into the next level where I can work on my own alignment and development, 30% to learn more about the foundation/history/other limbs of yoga beyond just the asanas, and 20% to actually start teaching. As my professional career is in training and onboarding, I'm sure that 20% will quickly overtake everything else :) For now though, I've read a lot of about the stigma surrounding new yogis teaching yoga. There seem to be mixed reactions from older style studios that invite you to become a teacher after decades of practice or ask you to apply versus newer style studios that allow anyone in who pays the fee. I've been practicing for about 4 years - infrequently for the first 2.5 with the last 1.5 years being at least 5-7 times per week sometimes twice a day. Do I even have enough practice time under my belt to consider this? The studios that really moved me from the once-or-twice-a-month yogi to the maybe-I'm-obsessed yogi were hot yoga focused studios that do a few minutes of belly up core work during class, crank up the heat, never say "OM" or explain what a chakra is. My understanding is that this a very Western perspective on yoga. Is yoga less authentic if it follows this more Western or Americanized style? Will I benefit less from taking teacher training if it's not at a more Eastern focused studio or Ashram? If I'm passionate about hot yoga, should I even be concerned about what the rest of yoga community is doing? I also practice a few times a month at an urban Ashram but the relationship is definitely not as strong. Sigh... there are a hundred questions so I'm hoping you can provide a little bit of direction simply based on your own journey.

Thanks for any insight you can provide!

Well I thought there would have been some teachers on the site but it has been very slow lately. I am not a teacher so I can’t help with most of your questions but a few I can.
I do know that teaching and our own personal practice are two very different things. But you could learn a lot from teacher training even if you decide not to teach in the future.
Yes yoga is much less authentic with the modern or western style. This doesn’t necessarily mean good or bad, just less authentic. Yoga has a long history and some very good resources from that history. A person doesn’t have to learn all of the history and teachings, just take the best parts. The ones that are most helpful to you. And maybe over time learn more. THE FIVE YAMAS OF YOGA are the basics of yoga. The first Yama, Ahimsa or non harming is very important in the physical practice. We don’t want to injure ourselves or others if we are teaching. When I started I didn’t know or care about the Chakras. Then after some time I discover through my own experience that maybe there is something going on with that stuff. I just take the version of it that makes sense for me. It is good to at least know of the teachings and maybe learn more in the future. 
If a type of hot yoga is your only focus and you do a really good job teaching it or practicing, what’s wrong with that. Some variety or balance is usually best.
And just in case you don’t know Bikram yoga is well, just type Bikram sex scandals into search. I think even his own lawyer charged him with sexual harassment at one time. This shouldn’t spoil anything for you, just so you are aware of where your money may be going and can make the choice.
YogaByCandace likes this

I don't think a teacher training could ever "hurt", you know? It wouldn't negatively impact your practice in any way, so I would say to check one out if you're at all interested in getting a bit deeper...not only in your own personal practice but for the possibility of teaching down the line as well. There is no set answer to any of the questions you asked. If you asked the same questions to five different teacher training studios, you'd get five different answers. :) Whatever you do, I encourage you to really do your research if you decide to do a teacher training. Teacher training is a big money maker for many studios, and the cost is often (in my opinion) outrageous. This post may help in figuring out which teacher training is best for you. If you weren't sure if you wanted to teach, and were mostly interested in working on your own personal practice, you could also look into taking master classes and workshops on topics that really interest you. You will learn a lot more on a focused topic than if you were taking your regular class, and that may also help you to suss out whether you're headed more toward teaching or whether you are looking to jumpstart your personal practice.

afriske likes this