sammycj111

Yoga Everyday?

8 posts in this topic

I've seen a lot of posts that say to do Yoga everyday, I'm new to this but have worked out before. What about rest days? Do you not need one of those is it ok to do Yoga 7 days a week and not have a rest day? Even if you do other exercises? 

Don't ask us...ask your body (seriously). If you feel stressed or uncomfortable, take a rest. If you feel energetic and aren't pushing it to the point of pain or aches, why not make it an every day practice?

No one here knows your condition, age, weight, health issues, etc., Sometimes a practice can be 10-15 gentle minutes...other times it could be an hour or more or vigorous movements. There's no one right answer.

Only you can tell what is right for you...yoga, in many instances, is about connecting to your body and listening to what it's telling you.

What is yours saying? :)

brenskip55 and robert like this

I agree with Larry. It's really a personal decision, and to be honest, mine varies by week. Sometimes my body is like, okay today needs to be gentle or today I need to stretch and do nothing else, so I do restorative/yin yoga. That way I stretch all the muscles I worked so hard, and can jump right back in to a vigorous practice the next day. 

Some days, I need to lay off completely. Like if it's a particularly bad day for my body or if I'm sick or what-have you. I try my best to listen to the needs of my body and what it's telling me, not to say that it's always successful but...

The best thing you can do is do what's best for you. Since you're new to yoga, I wouldn't tell you to practice an intense rigorous routine 7 days a week, but start off slower and pay attention if you're feeling pain or exhaustion the next day. See if you can gradually increase the number of days you practice. You may decide that a few days a week is best for you, or you may decide that seven days a week is where it's at. Right now, take it day by day.

I think part of the reason people/gurus/teachers say to practice each day, is that it helps you maintain your committment to practice. I definitely noticed that with my practice. Now, I almost have to make a conscious decision not to do it one day, instead of making the conscious decision to do it. It's something to work up to and if you feel ready for it, go for it, but also don't feel obligated. Do what's best for you! 

If you're interested in maintaining a committment to practice, try one of Candace's month-long yoga challenges on her blog. She has built in restorative and rest days in the schedule and she gives you what to do each day. They're awesome, and they spark great community on instagram!

Lesley Fightmaster's Yoga Fix 90 helped me commit. It was 90 straight days of yoga (beginners welcome) with intense flows, gentle/restorative flows, and meditation. While you practiced every day (although I definitely missed days), she gave time for rest and relaxation. If you're interested in that, just look her up on youtube. It's all free and it really was amazing in helping me commit to practicing.

Hildegard likes this

As Larry and afriske have said, the best thing is to do what feels right for your body. There's no need to do yoga every day - it won't make you a better or more accomplished yogi/yogini.  It's far more important to learn to listen to your body and try to figure out what's best for you.

When I first started doing I'd practice twice a week, then three times a week, then every day but weekends, every day but Sundays. For the past few years doing yoga every day is what feels right for me, but it's been a process to learn what is right for me. I try to keep my practice balanced by mixing more gentle or slower flows with more intense, power videos, focusing on different body parts, but rather than stick rigidly to a schedule I pay attention to what both my body and mind need. Don't be afraid to stop doing a video if it doesn't feel right and switch to one with a different style.

Part of the reason why I like to do yoga every day is because of the mental health benefits I get from my practice; I wouldn't want to do without the feeling of calm and grounding I get from doing yoga unless it's unavoidable (i.e.: illness).

I should also point out that yoga is my main form of exercise, my only workout, so that informs my desire to practice every day.

afriske likes this

Okay, Thank you for answering. I am working my way up to more days in a week right now especially with winter coming and knowing there will be days I can't go out and run but I think a 30 day challenge would be overwhelming. I may end up going to 7 days a week but I will definitely listen to my body as I add more days on :) I was just kind of cconfused because pretty much every other type of exercise is like make sure you have a rest day and this was like naw that's not needed Haha

I guess the good thing about yoga is you can make it a full body workout or a complete relaxation session. I'm in pigeon pose right now in bed while I type to you :) I felt like doing some stretches after a long day and I definitely don't need a rest from this sort of relaxing yoga, much like walking I can do that daily as well. Definitely listen to what your body and mind are telling you!

The other aspect is that yoga has (seemingly) a few thousand poses and variations, so you can rest one part of the body and work on the other. For example, one day you can work on standing poses (warrior and lunges) firing up your thigh muscles. The next day you can give the thigh muscle a vacation and do seated hip openers (cobblers, fire log, lotus, etc.) The next day you can do seated twists, etc. 

This way you can practice as long as you want, as frequently as you want, without overtaxing one muscle or joint area.

Hildegard likes this

Agree that it's a personal decision but also want to talk quickly about the idea of yoga not just being strict asana. A good savasana is a still yoga. A little meditation is still yoga. Pranayama in the morning (or any time, really), is still yoga. So I say, find a balance in your physical practice. Cultivate a practice that incorporates yin and yang yoga and of course the pranayama and meditation as well.

robert, Robbie, brenskip55 and 3 others like this