Erika

Stacked knees/ankle pain

10 posts in this topic

Dear Candace, I am a huge fan of your yoga videos and practise with them several times a week. I have problems with a pose, which I otherwise find extremely helpful for increasing hip flexibility, in the "30 Minute Restorative Yoga Video for Hip Flexibility". It is the pose where the shin of e.g. left leg is to be paralel to the short edge of the mat, the ankle of the right leg placed on the left knee and the knee of right leg, in best case, stacked on left ankle so that the legs form a triangle. And then there's a forward lean. If I place the soft part of my ankle on the opposite knee, the ankle hurts. If I place the hard part of the ankle on the knee, the knee hurts. Any tips on how to place ankle correctly, or what to use in order for the pose to work better? Many thanks for everything! /Erika

Thanks Larry - I was indeed referring to firelog and really appreciate getting the name. Now I may, apart from the linked discussion, search onward for more tips on how to do it best and avoid ankle/knee pain. 

I'm an advanced newbie...I started one year ago  (but I practice every day of the year).

I know the discomfort that you're referring to. My advice is to wedge a pillow in between the ankle and the knee until your hips are sufficiently flexible that they can rest down comfortably. Once they do, the ankle/knee connection might have less stress and pressure and you'll not notice it as much (if at all).

Erika likes this

Hey, been there...I know what it's like to say "okay, you know, the pose where you put your right foot on your left elbow and your left knee next to your right ear while clasping your hands around your left ankle" ...LOL

robert likes this

I hope Candace doesn't mind us writing in her spot. But this is a kind of a serious safety issue.

If this pose, or any pose is too much have to take a easier or more comfortable version. This link does a good job of explaining the pose and links other versions. How to do Fire Log Pose "It is very easy to injure your knees and lower back if you try to move into it too soon"

It is good to put padding under the knees, between the floor and the knee(s). Never put padding on top of the knees to force the ankle upwards. When ever there is discomfort or pain for the ankle or foot as you have described, this force at the ankle is sent straight to the knee joint. 10 times greater in the knee joint. This is not an exaggeration. Even though you may not feel it in the knee this is slowly tearing the knee joint apart. It is very important to learn the poses very well. You have the link above to get started. If you need more help let us know.

Welcome to the website and I hope my comment doesn't seem harsh, it is meant to be a helpful caution.

scottcraft likes this

Thanks for answering, Anahata and Larry! I am so grateful for you both to step in and help out when I'm not able to get to a computer to respond. xo

No problem, but would rather have been in CR! #jealous

Edited by LarryD517
YogaByCandace likes this