Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Meugenio

Knitting

5 posts in this topic

I started knitting last winter by making this awesomely warm arm-knit scarf. (I highly recommend you run to your nearest craft store now and buy some lovely bulky yarn. I finished my scarf in probably less than 30 minutes and I'd never knitted before!) Because I felt pretty successful with that venture, I wanted to actually knit this scarf. It seemed easy enough with 40 stitches across in a knit 2, purl 2 pattern. But, for some reason, I'd sometimes end up with 41 or 42 or 39 or 38 stitches! I have no idea why my number of stitches increased and decreased. The scarf still looked fine since I can wear it in a way that you can't tell some parts are uneven. Does anyone have any tips and/or can tell me why this happened to my scarf?

I sometimes have a note pad beside me to remember my last sequence, since I always try to multitask while knitting - which may be why I am not an expert knitter :) Big thing for me is focus. 

When I started kntting, I used to accidentally increase on the first stitch of each row, that's usually where that happens. For me the confusion was a combination of my cast-on method and where my stitches were facing when I began the row. Also, the yarn. It's possible that it had pulled apart a bit in random places, making it appear as though there were two stitches where there's just one.

Meugenio and Oak like this

Sometimes this happens because you accidentally have yarn over one of the stitches and that creates another stitch (that's actually how you would increase your pattern). My suggestion for you is to place stitch markers every 5 or 10 stitches. That way you can visually see how many stitches need to be in between stitch markers, it works really well when you're working on big projects or when you're starting out. 

Oak and Meugenio like this

When I started kntting, I used to accidentally increase on the first stitch of each row, that's usually where that happens. For me the confusion was a combination of my cast-on method and where my stitches were facing when I began the row. Also, the yarn. It's possible that it had pulled apart a bit in random places, making it appear as though there were two stitches where there's just one.

Good to know. I definitely think I may have thought one stitch was actually two.

I sometimes have a note pad beside me to remember my last sequence, since I always try to multitask while knitting - which may be why I am not an expert knitter :) Big thing for me is focus. 

I would sometimes (okay, most of the time...) watch tv while knitting the scarf I had problems with. Lol maybe I should have focused more on the knitting rather than the tv!

Sometimes this happens because you accidentally have yarn over one of the stitches and that creates another stitch (that's actually how you would increase your pattern). My suggestion for you is to place stitch markers every 5 or 10 stitches. That way you can visually see how many stitches need to be in between stitch markers, it works really well when you're working on big projects or when you're starting out. 

Thanks for the tip!