AnandaYoga

YTT Nerves!

6 posts in this topic

Hi everyone!

I have been reading around the forum now for months absorbing information, and I decided that since I'm starting my teacher training in January I would go ahead and become an active member of this community! I am doing a 200hr program with my home studio that I LOVE and from an instructor that is a friend and someone I admire a lot.  I have so many questions and concerns that this might be an ongoing thread but to start I'll just address a few!

I don't have a huge intention to teach, I am mainly doing this program to take my practice to the next level.  From reading all of Candace's and other's posts, I know that this is a pretty normal thing.  However, having to even do the practice teaching gives me a LOT of anxiety.  I am really not one to get up in front of people and be the center of attention, I had to take a Xanax to get down the isle on my wedding day! I would love some advice regarding getting around the fear of having to teach in teacher training (it sounds so ridiculous, I know!!).  

I'll leave it at that for right now!! Thanks all!

YogaByCandace likes this

So so so so normal! I had the same fear. And it's super scary at first, but some of the beautiful things about learning to teach a bunch of other yogis who are learning to teach, are:

a: they are making all the same mistakes you are!! And if they haven't yet - they will!

b: they already at least know something about yoga, so if you are having a hard time coming up with the words, they can help you!

c: the collaboration that happens in YTT is unmatchable. Everyone can get together and share their experiences so that the whole group can benefit! It really is the perfect place to learn something as terrifying as teaching.

You'll do great. Just take a deep breath, dive in head first, and don't forget to laugh at yourself :)

YogaByCandace likes this

Thank you SO much for your response!! It really is just one of those things that you have to grit your teeth and get through! I think remembering that it is awkward for EVERYONE at first is helpful. I'm already friends with 3 of the people doing it so I know it's going to be a fun environment.  

I have heard that YTT is a truly life changing experience.  I am SO excited for that aspect of it, I've been needing something to kick me in the a** and take my whole outlook on life to the next level. :)

brenskip55 likes this

Yeah I think you will find that you're in similar company when you get there. Many people will be just as nervous - if not more so - than you are. We all make mistakes, and part of yoga is just letting go of what you can't control and taking each moment as it comes. :) Stay in the present moment and you will be just fine. Big hugs!

@YogaByCandace Thanks for the reply! I definitely think it's just one of those things thats like, just suck up the tough stuff and get thru the awkward first week or so and it will all be better.  I'm really excited!

I guess this happens to all of us ;) Some take this better, some worse. I always liked speaking in front of People, I was in a Theater Group in School and I loved to do presentations in University.

But when I started to teach, I realized it was something different. I guess it is important for you to have a ritual that gives you confidence. When I did my first class, I had my mala with me. I did not put it on, I had it in a bag next to my mat. Just knowing it was there calmed me down. I had it with me a few other classes, just to give me confidence.

All the best for you!