Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tibor

Yoga for gaining strength

6 posts in this topic

Hi Candace,

I would like to ask if yoga could serve as a main training for gaining or at least maintaining strength for basketball players? In order to gain strength, players apart from basketball practices use gym where they lift weights etc., but I was thinking about using yoga not only to calm my mind, but to gain strength and get in shape before the seasons start and of course to do yoga practices during the seasons. Would I be able to compete with other players (yoga vs. lifting weights)?

Thank you so much, you and your videos are very inspirative. :)

YogaByCandace likes this

I personally feel yoga is best as a complement - in addition - to whatever weightlifting or strength training an athlete does. I don't believe that yoga is effective for gaining or maintaining muscle unless it's a quite physical and advanced practice. So I would suggest a yin practice or restorative practice maybe once to three times per week in addition to your strength training. Hope that helps! 

In my opinion, I think it depends what level someone is at. I have seen notable improvements in my strength since I started doing yoga regularly. Though I did not have much to begin with, being someone who used to work with computers all the time and do little else.

Granted, it probably isn't effective if you already have a decent amount of strength.

YogaByCandace likes this

I am thinking about blending yoga with calisthenics. I have recently put on about 5 kilos (10 pounds I think) and I worked out in the gym and did calisthenics, but now I feel that lifting weights in the gym is not something I would love to do, so I am trying different ways. I prefer doing bodyweight exercises, or I could add some crossfit, which is more interesting for me than just lifting weights. 

YogaByCandace likes this