sandrayogawpg

How long does it really take to build a yoga business

31 posts in this topic

Where I teach they all told me that August is a really slow month. I have about half in my class right now. There is plenty of competition for a person's yoga time. Not really other yoga places, the big one is other summer activities.  And in my class the teachers attending often outnumber the non-teachers (so many other teachers watching me I can't get away with anything! haha) So if it weren't for those other teachers coming the class would be very small right now. My point is the teachers are the most devoted. The others like yoga but also like other things.

I found great guidance from this interview. Maybe you can get something from it. Also some interesting stories. Vinyasa Yoga Teacher Training with Michel Besnard youtube

YogaByCandace likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree that teaching at a gym is a great way to build a following and develop your teaching. I taught at a gym in Germany for about eight months and a number of them have been on a number of retreats with me year after year. 

No shows are totally common, especially when you're first starting out. I began teaching on the beach in Florida and I had many, many mornings where I would show up with index cards in hand with my plans and hear crickets, haha. It's just part of the grind. 

I love the idea of yoga in schools - not only for kids but for teachers and even parents. You could build a great following there and then grow from there. Just keep plugging along - the key is consistency. With time, it grows. 

I also want to second Anahata's sentence about August being really slow. Summer in general is very, very slow for us on the blog. I think people are just busy with summer, but once fall rolls around and school is back in session people usually get back to their routines which hopefully include some yoga! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/16/2016 at 10:22 AM, sandrayogawpg said:

@Lorelei I've been there and some days am still there! Interestingly enough, I am venturing into expanding my program and offering Yoga for children and Youth with varying needs as well. I think that Yoga for Children is really starting to expand and people are really starting to see the huge value of the practice for little ones.

As for your adult classes... DON'T GIVE UP! I had sooooo many classes with no shows - especially the drop in classes. If there is any way to get people to pre-register and commit to coming beforehand, it may help some. BUT that being said, you have repeats which means that they are loving your offerings and if they each tell one person, who then also loves it and tells one other person - suddenly you have 10 people in a class.

I really love that this thread is still active and a place for people to relate, help and maybe most importantly - VENT! I really was frustrated when I first posted here and was desperately seeking others in my same position to validate that this was a difficult journey, but that it is worth it. I also loved all the tips I received after my post about my website and how to advertise. Have you added your classes to the Yoga Finder Website? I think it is international (I'm in Canada) but I actually get a few website hits a week through my listing on there, so it may be worth a shot?

Wishing you all the patience, determination, tenacity and luck in the world!!!

Sandra

Sandra, Thank you for the feedback and the tips.  I will definitely look into Yoga Finder!  I hope your biz is going well!

 

On 8/16/2016 at 11:49 AM, LarryD517 said:

 

I typically take between 8 and 10 classes per month...that comes down to $8 to $10 per class (which is very inexpensive in the metro NY area)

So, my advice...hook up with a club (similar to the one I described) and develop a following.

 

 

Larry, I think $8-$10 per class is a great price ANYWHERE!  Good for you.  I'd totally do the same.  Personally, I'm tempted to hook up to a club and might look into it if I can't make my own stuff fly.  I want to be able to promote my business, and I know I wouldn't be able to do that at someone else's studio.  So, I guess that's what I get! :)

 

On 8/16/2016 at 1:03 PM, Anahata said:

I found great guidance from this interview. Maybe you can get something from it. Also some interesting stories. Vinyasa Yoga Teacher Training with Michel Besnard youtube

Thanks for the reference video!

 

On 8/22/2016 at 3:29 PM, YogaByCandace said:

I agree that teaching at a gym is a great way to build a following and develop your teaching. I taught at a gym in Germany for about eight months and a number of them have been on a number of retreats with me year after year. 

No shows are totally common, especially when you're first starting out. I began teaching on the beach in Florida and I had many, many mornings where I would show up with index cards in hand with my plans and hear crickets, haha. It's just part of the grind. 

I love the idea of yoga in schools - not only for kids but for teachers and even parents. You could build a great following there and then grow from there. Just keep plugging along - the key is consistency. With time, it grows. 

I also want to second Anahata's sentence about August being really slow. Summer in general is very, very slow for us on the blog. I think people are just busy with summer, but once fall rolls around and school is back in session people usually get back to their routines which hopefully include some yoga! :)

Thanks for weighing in, Candace.  I am tweaking my Yoga in the Park schedule for fall and upping my promotions for my Yoga in Schools Workshop and Yoga for Athletes. If it's still slow by the new year, I will explore other options.  Actually, pretty fun news.... a proposal I wrote to teach a Yoga in Schools 1 credit college course got picked up by a great local college.  Teachers can take it to renew their licenses.  It's a start! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/22/2016 at 11:39 PM, Lorelei said:

Thanks for weighing in, Candace.  I am tweaking my Yoga in the Park schedule for fall and upping my promotions for my Yoga in Schools Workshop and Yoga for Athletes. If it's still slow by the new year, I will explore other options.  Actually, pretty fun news.... a proposal I wrote to teach a Yoga in Schools 1 credit college course got picked up by a great local college.  Teachers can take it to renew their licenses.  It's a start! 

OMG, Lorelei! You are a superstar! How incredible!!!! I am so proud of you. That is so innovative and so outside the box - good for you! You should be so proud.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, YogaByCandace said:

OMG, Lorelei! You are a superstar! How incredible!!!! I am so proud of you. That is so innovative and so outside the box - good for you! You should be so proud.

Thank you, Candace!  This means a lot to me.  Watching you grow your business gives me such positive vibes.  WIsh me luck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've scaled my studio from introductory offers and then making an offer to paid membership.  There are some strategic marketing tactics that i've used, let me explain:

Intro offer $30 for 30 days 

We have a follow email campaign the entire month ( A real conversation via email adding more value) 

Asking for feedback on class styles, instructors, class times, etc. 

I build value in the studio and giving them an extraordinary experience, then we make an offer after the trial.

This help me convert more and more each month. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now