LarryD517

Candace (at normal speed)

5 posts in this topic

I follow your feed on Instagram. Some of the videos are sped up (to fit the 15 second limit)...or at least I think they're sped up...for all I know, maybe that's how fast you do your poses :)

I'd like to see what you're doing at human speed, to break it down so I can (possibly) learn from them.

Are the normal speed videos posted anywhere? If not, that's okay, just wondering.

Thanks!!

YogaByCandace and scottcraft like this

Hi! No, they're not broken down anywhere usually because they're snippets I've chosen to record at the end of my personal practice. 

At this stage in my life, I'm starting to really feel like the things I used to truly love are becoming "work." My workouts have a goal behind them of building strength and endurance so I can get through the three day, thirteen hour a day photoshoot for my book in January. My personal yoga practice has taken a back seat to creating content and filming for youtube. So when I do get in a personal practice and choose to film it, I speed it up 3-4 times as fast so I can fit the sequence in instagram's 15 sec limit. I don't film all of them but sometimes I like to share what I'm working on personally - especially if it's not "picture perfect" like today's handstand to splits. (My handstands are very, very wobbly.) Other times I like to share a super creative sequence for the people out there who like that kind of stuff and want to try it on their own. For the one I recently did (here), I had a few requests to break it down, so I did and I periscoped the filming of it. Then I got a complaint that I spoke too fast. I sometimes feel like I can't win. So I haven't decided if I'll be breaking down others in the future. They're not as comprehensive as a full yoga class, and to be honest, I just don't have the energy to record and teach my personal practice because then it too becomes "work" instead of something I do to unwind and nourish myself. I feel like this is coming across harsh, and I don't mean for it to, I just feel like there are certain things I need to keep as my own so I can continue to learn, explore within the practice, and stay hungry and motivated to grow. 

If you wanted to learn any sequence though, I would just write down what the poses are as you press pause on the instagram vid. Then know that each pose should probably get between 3-7 breaths and go from there. 

afriske, robert and scottcraft like this

No problem, it as nothing specific. I love watching videos, seeing how to get from point a to point b, etc.

Your videos are so entertaining. The wobbly ones are best, since most people post images or videos of perfection, which to a newbie presents a seemingly impossible goal. Seeing you struggle and overcome teaches us how much work it takes to achieve.

"The difficult takes time the impossible just takes a little longer " ...similarly, I admire your "practice makes progress" mantra  

I'm starting to really feel like the things I used to truly love are becoming "work."

I can totally relate to this at the moment. building my own business has been taking so much time that a lot of things have been getting dropped, and I largely picked up yoga again back in April/May to avoid becoming a nervous wreck... Many of the things I was doing fell away within the space of about a month which was a bit of a shock to say the least.

In similar vein, as I'm working with musical instruments nearly every day, my desire to play music for pleasure has almost died. If I wasn't deliberately maintaining a presence at an Irish session it probably would have.

Then I got a complaint that I spoke too fast. I sometimes feel like I can't win.

You will always get someone who doesn’t like what you are doing for whatever reason, I find the best thing to do is to just ignore everything and do what feels right to you. Keeping a loose connection with what people are saying can lead to improvements but don't take it personally, and don't stress over it. Pleasing everyone is impossible as you always end up with conflicts of interest.

I'm glad that you are still able to enjoy yoga for yourself, and I'd be interested if anyone else has any input on the subject of  interests becoming work.

Candace, I just wanted to say that I hope everything slows down for you and you are able to enjoy your own practice once again! I love what you provide for us, but I also imagine it can be quite taxing. Don't forget to take care of yourself. I really appreciate your self-care and self-respect!