Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
robert

Lifestyle minimalism / voluntary simplicity

4 posts in this topic

I've always been inclined towards keeping things only as complex as they need to be, and have always found many common aspects of typical modern lifestyles to be needless overhead. Back in 2010/11 I ran across the 'voluntary simplicity' movement and found resonance with it, generally to question why you are doing everything you are. Under such scrutiny many things one may think they need end up falling away. While I'm not following this philosophy to quite such an extreme as I was, the skills are still essential to what I'm doing at the moment.

I find this 'question everything' mindset aligns well with yoga, which applies a smiler philosophy to self realisation and execution of the asana.

Has anyone else experimented with this?

Robert, I struggle with this.  I know that weeding out and simplifying makes me happier, calmer, less harried feeling, etc.  However, I have a hard time sticking to this.  I think the main reason is carving out the time to GET RID OF IT, which means finding a new home for things.  Time is not on my side. Haha.

Yoga helps me want to aspire to a life of less stuff, though.  I will keep trying.

robert likes this

For my husband's job, we moved between two to four times every year for the last eight years. This pretty much forced us to weed out anything we didn't really NEED. It was stressful to move (although now I can pack up and ship out like no body's business) but it was somewhat freeing to not be tied down to too much "stuff." I am really sentimental so I am really appreciative now of having not moved in eight months and have begun to collect magazines and books and set up little trinkets of things I've purchased during my travels. I like creating a space that feels like home after literally eight years of not having a space that reflected my taste and personality. 

mimisouth, robert, Lorelei and 1 other like this