imawalker

yoga newbie and busy schedule

4 posts in this topic

I started with doing at least one pose a day.

Once I reached that goal I increased to at least 5 minutes a day.  
I quickly found it easy to make the time and eager to do so.

I'm not sure about supplements or diets - I just naturally felt like I wanted to extend that feel good feeling from yoga into my diet as well and started to think more about what I was eating.

Since you're busy, try dedicating 10-15 minutes to it a day. Or split it up into fifteen minute increments (15 minutes in morning, 15 in evening, etc.) 

Something that helped me create a consistency within my practice is following a program. I followed Lesley Fightmaster's 90 yoga fix to get in the groove as well as a few of Candace's 30 programs that give you set schedules for what you should do each day. Another one that's very helpful for beginners is 30 days of Yoga with Adriene. 

Lesley, Adriene, Candace, and many others have new years programs up and running right now. Candace has her "New Year, New You" program, Lesley has her 30 days of yoga for beginners, and Adriene has 30 days of yoga camp. There are definitely more, but these are the ones I'm familiar with.

Basically, if you want to have a fairly consistent practice, even if you're busy, try to do a little a day, and if you feel like you can handle more, try a program!

It's always best to listen to your body. So don't jump into anything super challenging yet and expect to be able to do it. Yoga is about the journey, not the destination, which sounds really cheesy and foo-fooey but if you keep practicing you'll begin to see why.

As for diets and supplements, I don't really have tips on that. I just try to eat as healthy as possible, eating clean foods whenever I can and eating plenty of protein. Most of the time I try to do plant-based because it seems to make me feel better, but that's a personal preference. Diet is very subjective, and it can be something you explore to figure out what makes you feel your best!

There is a great yoga community here on the forum! Hope you enjoy your journey!

Hi imawalker,

I am also on a tight schedule so I was having similar troubles. I found that waking up just 15 minutes earlier to do a few poses seriously changed my entire day. I didn't have to stress about finding time for it in the day and I kid you not, it changed my entire outlook. Doing yoga in the morning makes me so grateful and relaxed. 

Hope this helps :)