Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
helenschki

Water fasting experience?

6 posts in this topic

I was wondering if anyone here has embarked on a water fasting (meaning only water for x number of days). I read this 21 day water fasting experiment journal http://personalexcellence.co/blog/fasting/ and got so inspired that I plan to do a 5 day water fast starting second week of December.

I am paleo/low-carb and plan to reach ketosis (eating a ketogenic diet and check with urine sticks) before I start fasting so I do not have to waste days for the body to adjust. This will be no problem as I have been in ketosis several times before. The easiest way to reach ketosis is through a combination of intermittent fasting, eating a diet consisting of 80% fat and the rest as much protein as possible and as little carbs as possible. Usually I eat avocados, eggs, fish, chicken, leafy greens and drink coffe with coconut oil and sometimes butter.  This in combination with high-intensive crossfit ususally brings me into ketosis within 48 hours. And ketosis feeels gooood.

I also plan to cut down on coffee as I do not want to battle caffeine withdrawal symptoms during the fast. This will be a tough one, already cut my consumption from 4 cups/day to 1 and I feel it (although I must say, I sleep much better).

I need to go to the office as usual and on day 4 there is an Embassy reception I cannot say no to, but I really have no idea what my energy levels will be like. Which makes me nervous.

Thanks to my diet I have a very stable blood sugar but I am still a bit nervous and preparation is key when it comes to fasting. So, anyone here done something similar and could give me some advice?

Hi Helen, I remember reading this and was wondering how it went for you.  The entire premise scared me a bit, but, it sounds like you've had enough experience with ketosis and self-awareness to be safe about it. Hope you are doing well!

Oh yogafire I never saw this reply, sorry. yes I did do it and it went well. But I do recommend everyone to not work during a water fast. I entered ketosis within 24 hours and the first two days were very hard. Most difficult was the coffee or notbeing able to drink it it gave me such headache. I did not take any supplements during the fast, only drank water with lemon and pink salt. I was tired and very bored, but when I needed the energy I got it. When i was just sitting or lying down, I felt very very tired. I had my last meal on Sunday night and broke the fast on friday morning with some cucumber (I stopped a bit earlier than planned as on the Friday morning i almost fell over). It was mainly a mental struggle that taught me a lot, especially what importance with give food in our lives. I had no problem at all breaking the fast, stomach was completely fine. It was a good experience, although hard. And it somehow left me a bit disappointed with food. During fast I fantisised about all the food i wanted to eat and how wonderful it would feel, but when i started eating again I felt disappointed "was that it?" I remember thinking to myself. 

I checked my vitals during the fast, blood pressure was ok, pulse a bit high, temperature slightly higher than normal and blood sugar stable, lowest was around 3.7. I lost almost 5 kilo but gained 4 of them back quickly (water weight).

You know, I completely misread this post at first and thought it also excluded water, so I had no idea how on earth you would survive!

Thanks for the update and for sharing how you monitored yourself to make sure you were safe.  Glad you ended it early when you needed it.  Did the first cucumber at least taste more refreshing than any other cucumber before? :)  The mental struggle is interesting  - was your appetite diminished for awhile, or do you still feel not as satisfied from food still?

helenschki likes this

Oh no without water I think you won't last very long :). Yes the cucumber tasted great, but still, food was a bit if a disappointment, although I did start to eat like the fast never happpened afterwards. But it got me thinking of how we project feelings on food, how we use food to avoid being bored or feel certain things, stress-relief etc. And when you do not have food or other distractions such as drugs or smartphones, to distract you, you are forced to be present and face whatever you are feeling. It is very hard.

Other hings I experienced during the fast was that my skin became very clear and soft. And I now know that I can last very long without food or coffee, it is not a physical need but a mental one. Oh and I do crossfit and of course got much weaker after the fast but regained the strength quite quickly. I did not do crossfit during the fast but I did attend a yoga class on day 2 of the fast and it was the best yoga class I have ever been to. We were outside under a sky sprinkled with stars and i was simply very very present. It was lovely. '

yogafire likes this