ZillaRac

Crow pose

9 posts in this topic

Im not exactly new to yoga (ive been doing it for about a year/and a half) and i used to be able to do crow pose but i fell on my face and now i cant do it! its so frustrating! what to do?

YogaByCandace likes this

(I can't do it, but...)

Practice close to the wall so if you rock or fall forward, you'll head will gently hit the wall...or use a friend to spot you

YogaByCandace likes this

Yeah, keep practicing! It will come! I fell on my face before too. It happens. Try not to be discouraged or it may make it more difficult to get into the pose. Accept that you fell before, but you're doing the pose now. :)

robert and YogaByCandace like this

Is there a chance you're overthinking it? I can't balance when I'm overthinking crow pose, once I stop stressing about what 'might' happen it's much easier to find a spot in front of me to look at and balance :)

YogaByCandace likes this

Think about the hands as if they're feet. When we stand on our feet barefoot, we use our toes to help ourselves not fall over. In the same sense, when you get into crow, spread your fingers and really activate the fingertips. Use their strength to help prevent you from falling forward. Also, think about lifting UP with the entire body rather than being heavy and resting the weight on the arms. Hope those tips are helpful.

scottcraft, yogafire and ZillaRac like this

I think face planting is a step everyone takes :)

After I face planted hard I wasn't sure if I could do it again.  So I set a different expectation for myself - instead of lifting both feet, I only lifted one - I did a few breathes on each side.  After a few weeks of this I lifted my other foot, but kept my toes close to the ground and went very slowly.

yogafire, robert and afriske like this

22 hours ago, Jennifer said:

I think face planting is a step everyone takes :)

After I face planted hard I wasn't sure if I could do it again.  So I set a different expectation for myself - instead of lifting both feet, I only lifted one - I did a few breathes on each side.  After a few weeks of this I lifted my other foot, but kept my toes close to the ground and went very slowly.

I was just thinking about Day 6 and the New Year New You schedule.... work on crow pose. Glad to hear face planting is normal for everyone. I like how you set small expectations. I think I will begin this way tonight. 

YogaByCandace likes this