EG

Yoga for healing neighbourhoods

4 posts in this topic

Hi! A friend was telling me about a group in the US who would take their yoga practice to neighbourhoods who had experienced trauma of some kind (e.g. violence or destruction) as a way of channelling positive energy to help a neighbourhood heal. I can't find any information about this approach online, and am particularly interested to know whether there is anything similar being done in the uK or elsewhere in Europe? I'd be so interested if anyone has any information they could pass on to me - thank you!

There are many different types for this. I think you may just have to look a little harder in your area. They may be harder to find because the type of people that organize these programs are busy actually making these programs happen. They are out there trying to help people, not advertising to the rest of the world. If you have a yoga place in your area, one that has been around for a while. You could go and ask them if they know.

'Street Yoga' Helps Homeless Kids Find Balance

Headstand is an innovative non-profit organization that works to combat toxic stress in disadvantaged K–12 students through mindfulness, yoga, and character education.

yogafire likes this

Hi EG, are you looking just for resources and methods to get ideas / understand, or find programs in the UK that can help a neighborhood or community you have in mind?

Anahata found some great organizations - I attended a fundraiser for Headstand that I talked about in this comment. But, both are targeting the kids (schools are the easiest structure), not the parents and adults that are under chronic stress, too.  Maybe doing a search on family yoga programs could help (with mindfulness skills)? I found this one in Cambridge, UK.  

I just listened to a talk by this yoga teacher / psychotherapist / researcher, and she said when first working with disadvantaged families, she would try to teach some mindfulness skills or yoga poses to the parents, but, they simply couldn't do it because they were physiologically too stressed with their adrenaline elevated.  So, the simple procedure of breathing became the basis for her BREATHE program that focuses on relationships.   I also linked her research / blog site above in case you want to read more about similar methods.

Good luck in your search!

Thanks a lot, yogafire - loads of interesting thoughts here. In answer to your question, I'd really like to understand this process better so I was wanting to read about it but also to take part in such an initiative as it appeals to me as a way to use yoga to benefit others.

yogafire likes this