Lorelei

New Business Daily Habit Insights

13 posts in this topic

Hi everyone.  I'm hoping that some of you entrepreneurs can help a sister out with some of your best practices.  I'm starting a new career after a long break and part time work.  My new business is in the fledgling stages.  I have some timelines and deadlines to work within, and I have some good sense of where I'm going (usually....until  the "What the hell do I think I'm doing?!" thoughts flicker in and out of my days. :) )  

I'm working part time as a substitute teacher and running the household (dinners, grocery shopping, laundry, primary kid care, dog mom, keeping fit practices, in charge of holidays and birthdays, etc.......)  Don't get me wrong.  I am not bemoaning the fact that I have a lot to do at home.  I love it all.  

My problem is that making time for my business venture is something I don't know how to do.  If there is cleaning to do or bills to write or something else, I feel like it should be done first.  You know?  I need to work on putting myself on the clock for my business, and I need help with how to get into that mindset. 

So, here's my question:  Will you please share with me things that you do or have done in order to get onto the right track and to keep yourself there?

-Time management

-Prioritizing tasks

-Growing a new mindset (from mom in charge to small business woman)

-Confidence boosters

-Anything else.  

Thanks, guys.

YogaByCandace likes this

Awesome, so proud of you for taking the next step in developing your business! Happy to share what I do: 

Time Management: In grad school (for education), I learned that people can handle a focused task for the same amount of minutes as their age. So a 16 year old high school student can focus really well for 16 minutes and then the teacher ought to give her a second to just "shake it off" (I used to have my seventh graders stand up and "shake rattle and roll" (essentially just jump around like maniacs) for 30 secs, and when I taught high school, I had them get up and stretch cuz they were 'too cool' to shake, rattle and roll haha). So take however old you are, and give yourself that same amount of time to work on your business to do list. Then, when the time is up, go "shake it off" with an errand, or pay a bill or whatever it is you have to do around the house that'll give you a mental break from the business work. 

Prioritizing Tasks: I make a to-do list and organize it by "Immediate attention" and "Important, but not that important" (I could probably come up with better names). I do the immediate stuff asap, and keep the important but not that important stuff on the back burner for when I have extra tim and am done with the immediate stuff. 

New Mindset: Well I don't have kids, but I have friends and family who have different schedules and they'll invite me to do stuff in the middle of the day. What works best for me is that I think of my job as an actual job where I go to an office and clock in. That's just what works for me. I know that every day I need to be working by X time in the morning and I will be done at X time in the afternoon. It's non-negotiable for the most part, and that's how I think of it. So I can't meet friends for coffee in the middle of the day, and sometimes they get it and sometimes they don't, but I keep my evenings and weekends mostly free so that I can socialize then and that makes up for it. :) I think it's just a matter of deciding in your head that your dream is important and deserves your attention and then following through as if it were non-negotiable.

Confidence Boosters: I read inspiring (sometimes cheesy) self-help books. I like the Fire Starter Sessions and You Are a Badass. I like The Secret. I like The Happiness Project and The Gratitude Diaries. I underline passages that speak to me. Sometimes, when I'm really struggling, I'll write some of my most inspiring quotes on a sticky note..... probably the best I've seen is my agent Sophie, who wrote 'I am a queen' in lipstick on her mirror. I surround myself with people who challenge me, inspire me, and love to talk business and ideas and dreams. I try to get rid of people in my life who point out all the reasons my ideas won't work. I read HBR and Entrepreneur to stay motivated and uplifted and inspired. 

Anything else: You can do it! Whatever that 'it' is - just put your mind to it, surround yourself with positive people, work hard, be kind, do good and have fun, and make sure that every day you're doing something to reach your goal and you will for sure meet with success.

robert, scottcraft, Lorelei and 1 other like this

6 hours ago, YogaByCandace said:

Prioritizing Tasks: I make a to-do list and organize it by "Immediate attention" and "Important, but not that important" (I could probably come up with better names). I do the immediate stuff asap, and keep the important but not that important stuff on the back burner for when I have extra time and am done with the immediate stuff. 

Hehe, I know what you mean by "Important, but not that important"!  It reminded me.. I learned those same quadrants for "time management" from Stephen Covey's 7 Habits for Highly Effective People:

6a00d8341e2e3253ef0105368bcc0e970b-pi

Now that I've revisited this, I totally see my pattern that I fluctuate in quadrant I for long hours and then sit in IV to escape, completely skipping quadrant II (exercise, and I think household cleaning would probably be here?).

Lorelei, so great to hear about your new business! I'm not an entrepreneur, but I agree with Candace about sorting things about between important and urgent, and important, but not that important. :)

But, your questions made me think - maybe to "grow a new mindset", you just need to change what you qualify is "urgent" based on your business goals and how you want it to balance with your home life. I would try to flip it the other way (and I realize, I may only be thinking of this because I keep getting burnt out at work): if your end goal involves a good home life with part-time jobs without needing to expand your business, then what (real or imagined) is causing you to think you are not dedicating enough time for your business?

scottcraft, robert, Lorelei and 1 other like this

What is your business venture? does it inspire you? The reason I'm asking is because with my own business, it's something I have a strong personal interest in and I have a hard time not working on it, and pushing everything else aside.

I'm someone who is very bad at multitasking, largely because I'm only really able to mentally conceptualise one thing at any given time. Also I get distracted *really* easily, and when that happens I basically forget everything about the previous task and go off on a tangent. Basically the previous working memory ceases to exist.

Because of these things I find changes in physical location, with task relevant stuff in clear sight to be useful. If I can't see something, and it's not a 'habit', it doesn’t exist to me.

I also find it essential to totally eliminate detractions if I am to get anything done at all. My workshop is deliberately offline, and I do not have a smart phone because of this. I don't personally understand how the modern world works at all with so many distractions.

If you are feeling really brave might try what I did and just don't do anything at all. You will quickly find out what is important and what is not. And not because someone else tells you it is important.

At one time I was overloaded with 16 hour work days, which, if they were 5 times that long still wouldn't have been enough time. So that is what I did and I found out that about 90% of the stuff I was doing basically didn't matter. If it was enjoyable and I felt like doing it, no problem. If not just make sure the 10% gets done.

scottcraft and Lorelei like this

22 hours ago, YogaByCandace said:

Awesome, so proud of you for taking the next step in developing your business! Happy to share what I do: 

Candace, I am overwhelmed with your generosity of time for me on this topic.  I know you are crazy busy.  Thank you for all the inspirational advice and wonderful concrete ideas.  Your attitude and kindness is contagious.  <3

scottcraft and brenskip55 like this

21 hours ago, yogafire said:

Hehe, I know what you mean by "Important, but not that important"!  It reminded me.. I learned those same quadrants for "time management" from Stephen Covey's 7 Habits for Highly Effective People:

Great comparison, yogafire!  Thanks for the response!!

YogaByCandace and scottcraft like this

18 hours ago, robert said:

What is your business venture? does it inspire you? The reason I'm asking is because with my own business, it's something I have a strong personal interest in and I have a hard time not working on it, and pushing everything else aside.

I'm someone who is very bad at multitasking, largely because I'm only really able to mentally conceptualise one thing at any given time. Also I get distracted *really* easily, and when that happens I basically forget everything about the previous task and go off on a tangent. Basically the previous working memory ceases to exist.

Because of these things I find changes in physical location, with task relevant stuff in clear sight to be useful. If I can't see something, and it's not a 'habit', it doesn’t exist to me.

I also find it essential to totally eliminate detractions if I am to get anything done at all. My workshop is deliberately offline, and I do not have a smart phone because of this. I don't personally understand how the modern world works at all with so many distractions.

"Squirrel!"  Am I right?  It is so easy to get distracted from the tasks at hand once a new one suddenly pops up.  I do put my phone away when I'm working.  Also, yesterday I started hitting a timer when I start to work and pausing whenever I need to stop to do something non-working.  It gave me a good sense of actual working time.  I'm going to keep doing that with a weekly minimum hours to hit.  

4 hours ago, Anahata said:

If you are feeling really brave might try what I did and just don't do anything at all. You will quickly find out what is important and what is not. And not because someone else tells you it is important.

Interesting idea.  I can't imagine the stress of keeping such a schedule.  I pick eliminating laundry and grocery shopping!! :)

I re-read this thread today.  It is interesting, now that I am into Month 3 of my little Sankulpa Yoga business how relevant all the comments are.  Right now, my biggest hurdle is MARKETING.  I'm sure that is familiar to everyone.  The low (or no) budget, get the word out, don't get distracted by all the other work to do and forget to market......  I spend so much time sequencing (what I hope to be) good classes for the nature center that sometimes, I'll get no one show up and THEN remember that I didn't market the class.  I know that working at an existing studio will get me more students, but I can't promote my own business if I'm working for someone else, so....Catch 22.

I get caught up in writing curriculum and class planning, and it is just easy to forget that it's all for naught unless people know I am out there with something to offer them.  So, I think my new thing is going to by Hump Day Marketing.  I plan to devote every Wednesday to marketing (exclusively)......checking in on things I have going, looking into new places to promote my business, making and nurturing contacts, etc.  SO, this thread just keeps on giving, folks.  (I also have to let stuff go, I guess.  Makes me sad to neglect my little blog space on YBC, but maintaining my own blog is really all that I can manage now.)  I am going to refocus my efforts to check in with the YBC community on a regular basis like I used to do up until mid-summer.  Such a positive force here.  Love that.

YogaByCandace and scottcraft like this

It is so tough to do it all especially when you're a one woman show. I can so relate to everything you say. That's kind of where I'm at, too. I have all these workshops planned and still trying to finalize the details of the book tour, organize new details of future retreats, creating content, editing photos, answering emails, trying to answer every comment on youtube, trying to answer as much as I can on instagram, facebook, etc., attending that expo this past weekend to try to network and make new business contacts, need to follow up with them... it's just a lot. Keep on keepin' on - we're here for you! 

I don't own a business, but I've been trying to literally build back my life since my grams' died 2 years ago.

A few things I've learned:
-Good time management is built upon a good schedule. It's hard when you are on the go, but I've found even writing down on a physical calendar my appointments, what I need to do and everything else all in one place makes my day that much easier. From a business perspective, if you are a thriving business and also a mom, you may want to get a planner where you have a month-at-a-glance then every day is a page. Make your home obligations one color and your business obligations another. (I'm very color oriented. You could also use different symbols.)

-I am naturally at getting tasks done, but I know some people aren't, so I'll give you an example. When I volunteer at my NFP, the first thing I do (after hanging up my coat and putting my bag away) is think to myself, "Does the barn look approachable?" because an approachable barn is the barn everyone wants to be at. I know there is always someone in the back feeding the horses, so my thought is always to the actual barn. My barn is usually a huge mess because sand gets tracked everywhere so the first thing I do is sweep the viewing area and the entrance to the barn. Then I go back and make sure the grooming buckets are neat and tidy. There is nothing worse than having to go hunt for a hoof pick at the end of the day. After that, I'm usually roped into helping tack up a horse or pony, but I always do those two things first. Find out what the two or three things that absolutely must be done first and do those things first every single day. Also find two or three things that you will always do at the end of the day. Routines make your life simpler.

-At the end of the day, I feel really drained and sometimes I feel like I've done nothing useful or I just feel down. That's why I have what I call the "unjournal." I make myself write everything that I did and you have no idea what you all did until you write it down! If you feel really crappy, dare yourself to find five positive things you saw today. "Vince nickered at me when I went to clean out his water. Saw a bird in the barn. Zena pounced at me when I walked through the door. Zena fell asleep on me while watching TV..." anything!