Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Lydia

Hi!

4 posts in this topic

Hi everyone, I'm Lydia! I'm 21 and I live in NC. :) 

I have been doing yoga on and off for a few years now, but I'm just now starting to make it a daily practice. I tend to have bad bouts with low back pain/sciatica (I'm not overweight or anything, but I tend to be inactive and have tight hips). Since doing Candace's 30 minute sciatica video a few weeks ago, I haven't needed any pain killers and have felt the most pain free I have in years! 

I'm looking forward to becoming better at yoga and to continue improving my health! 

MrBalloonHands and Anahata like this

On 12/11/2015 at 9:56 AM, Anahata said:

Welcome!

That's great that yoga has helped you with your sciatica problem. That is something that you will have to stick with everyday, at least a little or the problem may return. Here is a good link to help understand the problem. http://www.dailybandha.com/2013/12/healing-with-yoga-piriformis-syndrome.html

Thanks so much for that link! I know that my piriformis muscle must get tight, because it is often my buttocks and hip where I feel the most pain. I seem to young to have sciatica pain, but I hurt my heel/ankle playing soccer when I was little which caused me to have a limp and walk awkwardly at an age when I was still developing and growing. I think that has been part of the problem. That foot pain went away and was followed by this sciatica pain a few years later. I recently started taking care of my feet the way I did when I was younger (I had slacked off because my feet didn't hurt anymore), and I think that has helped me, too.

I use a tennis ball to massage the piriformis muscle. Doing this twice a day has kept it from radiating down my thigh and into the back of the leg for several months, but now that I have started doing yoga in addition the pain hasn't even been in my buttocks .I used to have to take at least 100 mg of ibuprofen a day (up to 600 if it was radiating down my leg), and I haven't had to take it at all in a long time. Not having pain has also allowed me to be more active lately, and I think that is also helping build up my core, legs, and glutes.

I'm just so happy, as you can tell! :) 

scottcraft likes this