Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AJ

In a slump

12 posts in this topic

Hello my friends,

I'm a middle-aged (53) male yogi in a small town where yoga is not very popular.  I was lucky and had a great first teacher about 7 years ago.  About 3 years ago I was fortunate to be offered to teach and have taught a yin/restorative class once a week since.  Luck shined on me again and an outfit from out of town came to the studio to offer a one weekend a month ryt-200 class that I finished in September and now have that certification.

one problem though, after my training ended, so did my teaching because of low attendance and ever since I've stopped practicing.  Of course there are a bunch of other variables (like the job I need to actually pay the bills) but in reality it seems as though the yogic part of me is broken.

I know I'm new here but I sure could use some wisdom..

Broken yogi in a slump

yogafire and YogaByCandace like this

Welcome!

What great timing.. Yesterday I stumbled upon the blog entry of another forum user, @brenskip55, about "slump-busting"! It gave me hope that if I do find myself in another slump, I can make it back out again.  

I'm not a teacher, but, I was coming out of a 1 month slump of no practice or exercise.  For me, I realized I needed to take baby steps to get back into it to not feel overwhelmed (I did one of Candace's 15 min videos and it reminded me about some aspects of yoga that I missed, but was short enough so I wouldn't lose concentration). Realizing that everyone, including yoga teachers, get into slumps already helps me feel not alone, get rid of the shame I had about not keeping up my practice, and move forward.

What has also helped me personally is to keep a journal to feel more "accountable" to your practice. It can be private or shared here if you are comfortable and would find our support encouraging.  I keep a reader blog here on the forums because I don't have my own site, and, it's an easy way for the rest of the community here to support you in your journey. I first started it to keep track of how I felt during the 30-day mindfulness program on YBC, and then I realized it was a good place to still reflect on my practice (and lack of practice!).

YogaByCandace and scottcraft like this

9 minutes ago, yogafire said:

What great timing.. Yesterday I stumbled upon the blog of another forum user, @brenskip55, about "slump-busting"! 

Thanks for the shout out Yogafire!

14 hours ago, AJ said:

one problem though, after my training ended, so did my teaching because of low attendance and ever since I've stopped practicing.  Of course there are a bunch of other variables (like the job I need to actually pay the bills) but in reality it seems as though the yogic part of me is broken.

AJ you are so so not alone. I go through phases of extreme commitment to my practice, and then for a time it wanes, until I snap myself back into it. Sometimes we just need a break, so that when you come back to it, you appreciate your practice even more! The first step is to recognize that you have stepped back from your practice, and the you just have to make an honest assessment of whether or not you NEED the break, or if you are ready to go back, and just avoiding it. I find that to get back into the swing it helps me to go take a class in a studio - it gets the creative juices flowing again and then I'm more inspired to pick up my personal practice again.

You'll find your way out of that slump eventually - remember, it's all within your control :)

YogaByCandace and scottcraft like this

Such a great post, @brenskip55

And @AJ, you're definitely not alone. I hit a slump seemingly often. I'm in kind of a slump now. I think it's what naturally happens when you try to make your passion your work. I get burned out and just want a break. So I've taken a break. I haven't been to a class in probably three weeks. I've stretched daily but it's not the same as a full class, you know? I'm doing a LOT of phyiscal activity these days so the idea of spending more time in a full class, even if it's a gentle class, just makes me want to run for the hills. I've done my own personal practice when I felt like it, which, if I'm being honest, was maybe twice in the last three weeks. I always find that when I take a break, I eventually stop feeling like my own practice is a chore and feel excited to get back on the mat once again, so I'm not worried about it at all. Part of the ebb and flow, I suppose. ;)

yogafire and brenskip55 like this

you are all so wonderful! thank you and namaste to @yogafire, @brenskip55, @scottcraft, @YogaByCandace

it's too bad we're not in the age of f2f communication where each of us could sit down together and let me tell you the whole story - somehow - posting something like that always seems wrong because who the heck has time to read something lengthy?

the great part is, at least for me, who has always had a regular/daily workout (weight lifting) practice as well...yoga teacher school really helped me with my lifting...my form is much better, I'm aware and awake to what I am actually using in my body, and I am present and awake to the experience, and I even make sure I'm breathing...so...a union of mind, body, and breath...sounds kinda like yoga doesn't it?

of course I have several friends who are yoga purists who claim one must one "do yoga"...but while I'm working as wellness coach at the health food store I work at and I'm present, awake, and open to the experience with anyone I'm interacting with, or driving somewhere and I'm still in the moment, or just at home alone without any official yoga or meditation currently happening, I know I'm awake and aware and connected (at least a good deal of the time)...

so...maybe I'm not in yoga slump, i'm just not practicing asana at the moment?

i'm horrible at keeping a journal...I'll totally admit that...but @brenskip55's suggestion is a good one...would love to know how this "reader blog" thing works

namaste to all...

Jimbo

2 hours ago, YogaByCandace said:

I've done my own personal practice when I felt like it, which, if I'm being honest, was maybe twice in the last three weeks

Thank you so much for putting this out there! It's so easy to assume that yogis in the media and on blogs practice all the time. It's so relieving to know that you are just as human as the rest of us.  :)

1 hour ago, AJ said:

a union of mind, body, and breath...sounds kinda like yoga doesn't it?

This! Yoga is not just Asana. It's a mindset, and exactly as you said - unifying the body breath and mind. Although I don't even come close to practicing asana every day these days, I think about asana often, visualizing sequences. I focus on the breath (pranayama) and I try to stay as connected and present as possible. These are all valid forms of yoga. I like the way you put it - not in a slump, just not practicing asana right now. :)

yogafire likes this

18 minutes ago, scottcraft said:

@AJ click the more tab at the top and there is a sub menu that says blogs. Several of us have posts in there. 

I think on the computer, the tab is called "Browse", and then blogs is on the left.  The direct url is pretty easy to type in if the website navigation changes (or looks different between mobile and computer): http://forum.yogabycandace.com/blogs/

I also see that "Blog Entry" is an option if you click on the +Create choice at the upper right.

And yes, speaking would be faster than typing sometimes... but, writing it all out can help.  I've written some lengthy posts in the past, and even if no one reads them, I don't mind because it helped me sort it out, out of my head.  But, everyone here has been extremely supportive, so you may be surprised how much people will read!

scottcraft likes this

54 minutes ago, yogafire said:

I think on the computer, the tab is called "Browse", and then blogs is on the left.  The direct url is pretty easy to type in if the website navigation changes (or looks different between mobile and computer): http://forum.yogabycandace.com/blogs/

I also see that "Blog Entry" is an option if you click on the +Create choice at the upper right.

And yes, speaking would be faster than typing sometimes... but, writing it all out can help.  I've written some lengthy posts in the past, and even if no one reads them, I don't mind because it helped me sort it out, out of my head.  But, everyone here has been extremely supportive, so you may be surprised how much people will read!

You're right, I forget that it slightly different on a computer versus my iPad. Thanks for clarifying, don't want AJ to get frustrated trying to find them like I was a few days ago!?

yogafire likes this