Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Lydia

Natural painkillers?

6 posts in this topic

Hi guys!

I used to have sciatica pain and, although I haven't had to take painkillers in weeks because of how much yoga is helping me, I was wondering if there were any natural painkillers that you guys have had luck with if the pain were to come back. I used to have to take up to 600 mg of ibuprofen if the pain was radiating down my leg. Sometimes I can get away with Tylenol, but the ibuprofen seems to help better to eliminate the inflammation in my piriformis muscle (and I'm not supposed to take acetaminophen with the birth control pill I'm on either). I alternate with ice and heat, too of course.

I have taken yellow mustard before and that has helped a little, but when my pain is that great it doesn't really do much at all. I have also heard of drinking tart cherry juice but have never tried it (I've had trouble finding it in local stores). Any ideas?

Hmm I might try anything that's meant to reduce inflammation like ginger - so maybe ginger tea? Or putting ground ginger in your foods like salads and sprinkled on top of veggies? 

You might also want to try epsom salt baths. We absorb magnesium (which is great to relax muscles) best through the skin so I feel a major difference whenever I take epsom salt baths. They also sell magnesium lotion (I have this one). 

On 12/13/2015 at 9:29 AM, YogaByCandace said:

Hmm I might try anything that's meant to reduce inflammation like ginger - so maybe ginger tea? Or putting ground ginger in your foods like salads and sprinkled on top of veggies? 

You might also want to try epsom salt baths. We absorb magnesium (which is great to relax muscles) best through the skin so I feel a major difference whenever I take epsom salt baths. They also sell magnesium lotion (I have this one). 

Thanks Candace! I have tried ginger tea. I used to drink it everyday to try and regulate my period. I will definitely start using it again. I have never thought about trying magnesium. That's a good suggestion!

I'm sorry to hear about so much pain before. I'm glad you're thinking ahead.  I believe some of the natural remedies (like herbal treatment) is more preventative, to be taken consistently over time to maintain a baseline while ibuprofen will work ad hoc and immediately.

Ginger tea is nice, but you might want to check the sugar content if using pre-made sachets.  I realized the ones I have contain a lot, so I prefer steeping fresh cut and peeled ginger and adding honey as needed would be healthier if you do it daily.

I read that gingko biloba is anti-inflammatory, too - I recently fed some supplements to my bunny because she has arthritis, and she moved more around and had more energy after that, so it seems to work.

I've also taken gingko biloba as supplements (the human kind, not the bunny kind :)), but to improve my concentration during exam times. You might also find fresh gingko nuts in an Asian grocery (I get mine at a Japanese grocery) that you can roast in a toaster oven, and then crack them open.  The taste is slightly on the bitter side, so, if you don't want to deal with that, supplements might be easier / more convenient.

Oh just was to clarify that ginger tea is super easy to make from cratch (and more potent than premade) - just chop up some fresh ginger and boil in water. Then, pour and add some lemon. Yum!

16 hours ago, YogaByCandace said:

Oh just was to clarify that ginger tea is super easy to make from cratch (and more potent than premade) - just chop up some fresh ginger and boil in water. Then, pour and add some lemon. Yum!

Yay! *throws out my disgusting premade sachets that have way too much sugar!*

Reigh likes this