Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Yoganorthwest

Behaviour Issues

8 posts in this topic

Hi,

Great forum.

I've just got a question about how to deal with misbehaviour in classes. I run a class locally and in the last two classes, two women have taken part but have been silly (giggling, pushing each other etc).  Also before the second class, I was heading to my locker in the changing room and one of them came running out with the other one chasing her and squirting shampoo at her.

I've done teaching in schools at the past but not sure how to deal with misbehaviour from people in their 30's (believe they are 31 and 32).

Has anyone else had any similar experiences? Any advice?

Thanks.

YogaByCandace likes this

I haven't been a teacher in a similar situation but I've been a student in a master class and the teacher stopped the entire class and said, "Please stop talking. Kindly leave, or separate yourselves." It was super awkward - he turned off the music and everything, bringing all the attention to them, but honestly they had really been having a full out conversation which was disrupting everyone else's experience. That's an option!

robert and Yoganorthwest like this

17 hours ago, YogaByCandace said:

but honestly they had really been having a full out conversation which was disrupting everyone else's experience.

I think that's the key - they might not realize they're disrupting everyone else's experience because they're so excited to be together. Maybe that's all you need to tell them (quietly before or after class), or when you call it out to them during class, maybe you can start with that?

Stark and Yoganorthwest like this

Yikes - that's an awkward position to be in. I'd probably try to give them a subtle hint - like bring everyone into childs pose for a few breaths to reconnect, and quiet the mind. Then maybe swing by their mats and politely whisper to them to please save their conversation for the end of class, as it can be a distraction to the rest of the class.

I'd probably avoid calling them out abruptly in the middle of the class. They probably just don't realize that yoga can be far more than a workout for a lot of people. Maybe try to educate them that for many people, it's the only focused, quiet time they get in their day.

Let us know what you end up doing and how it goes!

yogafire and Yoganorthwest like this

Thanks for the replies and support.

Well we had another class tonight and unfortunatly they misbehaved again. Again, they couldn't even be sensible before the class started. I went to the changing room and one of the girls was throwing toilet roll over the cubicle to where the other girl was, both finding it hilarious.

A little later, we were nearly ready to begin, we had a few minutes before we were due to start. One of the ladies that always comes to the classes asked if she had time to quickly go to the toilet. Of course I said yes and added that we wont be starting for a few minutes. One of the silly girls then shouted out 'what if she is going for a poo' and again they both found it very funny. I just thought, how immature.

During the class there was some giggling etc coming from them, so I asked one of them to move so they were not together. Unfortunatly that didn't work. I hope I wasn't too harsh but I ended up sending them both to the back to the changing room.

Didn't expect this kind of thing in adult classes...

What a shame! Maybe they will get the hint and find a class that suits their need to chit chat and giggle a little better. Sounds like quite the distraction to work around. But good for you for approaching them about it!

Get the hint? I'm from New York. I'd politely tell them that they're a rude distraction and they're not to come to class unless they're respectfully quiet and act like mature adults. 

if someone is dense enough to be rude or disrespectful, they'll never "get the hint"

Lorelei likes this

Wow.  How very unfortunate that you had to deal with such disruptions.  If they come back, what about if you do something at the beginning of class while you go through a little centering activity or ritual.  Maybe you talk about inviting peace into the space of the class and how the calm can be a part of the environment of class when everyone can listen to his or her breath and move with it.  Maybe even invite your students to use the class for personal reflection and ask that respect be shown to each other, and to themselves, by allowing the class to be dedicated to a peaceful practice.

I'm very interested in how this goes for you.  I hope they come back with a more appropriate mindset so that they can benefit from the class.  If they don't come back, I'm guessing the vibe of a yoga class wasn't what they'd been looking for, and that's ok too.

Best wishes to you. 

msinkblot likes this