Chillipepper

Tucking tailbone during squat/chair posture

5 posts in this topic

I went to a new class the other day (new to me) with a different teacher from my usual teacher.

I'm slightly confused because during the chair pose the teacher told me to tuck my tailbone under as apparently I was sticking my butt out and she said this was incorrect form. I used to do weight training and the chair pose is basically a squat right? I was always told during weight training that you should never tuck your tailbone under whilst doing a squat as it is very bad for your back, and that you should maintain the lumbar curve whilst descending into a squat, which will make it look a bit like your butt is sticking out. The opposite position - flexion- happens when you tuck your tailbone under and is very bad for your spine during a squat - so I've been led to believe. Also, my other yoga teacher always maintained that I had been using good form for chair and any other postures that resemble a squat. Perhaps I started changing my form since then without being aware that I had done so. Perhaps it's possible I was over extending my lower back and the new teacher just suggested I tuck my tailbone under to compensate and bring my spine back into a neutral position?

I'm wondering if anyone can shed any light on this? Any insight from people who have done squats while weight lifting? As well as yogis?

Thanks

YogaByCandace and robert like this

Hey there! I think she just used that cue to bring you into a neutral spine because profoundly tucking the tailbone to the point where the low back is rounded isn't really what we want either. You might've been arching the back, in which case tucking the spine until it comes to neutral was most likely what your teacher meant. :)

Chillipepper likes this

2 hours ago, robert said:

I believe this is to avoid 'scrunching' the low back.

6 minutes ago, YogaByCandace said:

Hey there! I think she just used that cue to bring you into a neutral spine because profoundly tucking the tailbone to the point where the low back is rounded isn't really what we want either. You might've been arching the back, in which case tucking the spine until it comes to neutral was most likely what your teacher meant. :)

Thank you, both your replies are very helpful. :)

The way I know Chair pose, Utkatasna, is a neutral spine. Which means maintain the natural curves of the spine.

Utkatasana is a beginner pose but it also requires a great deal of strength. So don't go too deep into the pose. The breathing should be comfortable and choose the option that encourages length in the spine. As soon as we have gone past this point usually the posture gets messed up.

Chillipepper and scottcraft like this