YogaByCandace

31 Day New You Yoga Program

33 posts in this topic

Happy new year!

I decided to participate, too! Welcome to the forums, what is your goal?  

My goal is to feel less pain (most of it aggravated from sitting too much, I think). Perhaps it might even relieve some new aches that developed a few months ago after being too inactive and no yoga!

YogaByCandace likes this

Hi Yoga Fire,

I'm trying to work on strength and stability, especially in headstands.  I ache after being inactive too.  My sciatica is really bad if I don't do yoga consistently.  Good luck with the program!

yogafire, Lydia and YogaByCandace like this

I'm in! My goal is to get back to practising a constitent and quality yoga practice.  There are a couple of poses that I really struggle with and want to include in my regular practice.. Dolphin, fire log, cow face pose, frog, forward fold.  A random selection I realise but aim to do these poses a few times a week.. Not sure if I'm concentrating on one pose for this programme..

YogaByCandace and yogafire like this

Sounds like great goals, you guys! I'm working on my split. My hips have gotten pretty tight from lifting so I'm making it a goal of mine to focus on more hip opening poses which should help my split. :)

Happy New Year Everyone,

I am very excited for my first challenge/program as a yogi. I have been practicing yoga for close to four months now, and I am pretty darn proud of myself for being consistent with it. I did take a few weeks off due to moving, but I am now in full swing again.

I am going to be focusing on my forearm poses for this program, as well as pain management. I was a dancer for 15 years of my life, and once I graduated high school I stopped dancing and went off to college (Still not sure why I stopped dancing). Without dance in my life my joints and muscles began to hurt, and yoga has been an amazing relief for me. A relief of many other things as well, and I have Candace to thank for that!

I am excited to see everyone's post on here and Instagram (If you post on IG that is).

Good luck everyone! :)

mimisouth, AmyJo and YogaByCandace like this

Hi Everyone! I'm feeling so thankful that I've found YBC. I started practicing consistently a couple months ago and already see changes in my mood and flexibility. Although I started a little late (yesterday!), I'll be participating in the 31 day challenge as well.  My goal is to alleviate some back pain that I have, as well as continue to increase flexibility in any way I can. Prior to beginning yoga 2 months ago I could barely bend forward and touch my knees (a little embarrassing to actually admit!)... And now I can touch the top of my toes!!  

Good luck everyone! ?

YogaByCandace and mimisouth like this

Completed day 3 yesterday.. Waiting for days 4 to 7 to be posted.  Loving this challenge so far and meeting my goals.  I haven't posted on Instagram but not doing a specific pose and not liking myself too much at the moment so don't really want a picture of myself posted.. 

YogaByCandace likes this

This is my first YBC challenge and I am so excited! My goal is to de-stress. My mom is battling a serious lung disease, I am starting my last semester of college, and I am looking to apply to graduate school, so I am in the middle of some pretty big life changes (in addition to the regular stress of everyday life). I definitely need to learn how to manage my anxiety better. I also want to learn how to do crow pose!

If anybody would like to be an accountability partner, just let me know!

apahira and YogaByCandace like this

34 minutes ago, Lydia said:

If anybody would like to be an accountability partner, just let me know!

Hey Lydia - There was a woman named Cheryl on the app forum looking for an accountability buddy - maybe try over there if you dont hear from anyone here. :)

Lydia likes this

I'm joining in this challenge!  I'm starting today and I've decided that I'm going to work on whatever pose(s) speak to me day by day.  Overall I tend to focus on upper body strength, core strength, and hip flexibility so my poses will likely center around those areas.  My overarching goal with this challenge is to become more consistent in my practice.  I've been able to pull down my stress levels with my practice but I keep stuttering out after a few days.  I'm hoping that this challenge will help me develop a pattern and stay consistent!

YogaByCandace likes this

Hi everyone! I am thrilled to have found this- a few days later than it started it seems but I'm joining as of now! I love yoga, it has given me such peace and strength and a better sense of myself in every situation. I am really looking forward to improving with this challenge.

YogaByCandace likes this

I'm very excited to begin the New Year with this challenge! I first tried yoga several years ago.. loved it... but then moved. I've been off and on with it the last 6 months... then got pretty serious about it in November. I really think this will help give me the push and support. I started keeping my yoga journal - but I'm also going to try to check out the forum daily. The pose I'm choosing to work on is Dolphin Pose. I know that I need to gain upper body strength in order to achieve some other poses so i thought this might be a good challenge for me.  I've searched the web for what the correct form is in this pose and I've found tons of variations. So.... against me really wanting to post this... I'm putting my picture here. I do appreciate any feedback. 

Dolphin 1.3.15.jpg

apahira, YogaByCandace and yogafire like this

Hello all,

I am curious if anyone could help, I started this yoga program on the first,  and I just had my wisdom teeth out today. It was a pretty big surgery and there were complications, so my doctor told me that I cant bend over (such as hinging at the hips) only squating straight down. Is there any alternatives for my situation. I was really sad when I realized I couldn't do yoga. 

Thank you,

Kinzie

@kfleming Maybe some restorative or yin yoga? Or avoid all poses involving hinging at the hips? You could avoid vinyasas and rest in child's pose or something instead of hanging out in downward dog if that's not an option for you.

I am not a doctor or a teacher, so make sure to pay attention to your body and what your doctor said! I know where you're coming from. I had bronchitis earlier in the season, and my doctor wouldn't let me do yoga and it can be really unfortunate. But keep in mind that it seems like your body needs to rest, so while yoga would make you feel better in the short term, you could end up prolonging discomfort or creating more problems.

YogaByCandace and kfleming like this

14 hours ago, kayla said:

I'm very excited to begin the New Year with this challenge! I first tried yoga several years ago.. loved it... but then moved. I've been off and on with it the last 6 months... then got pretty serious about it in November. I really think this will help give me the push and support. I started keeping my yoga journal - but I'm also going to try to check out the forum daily. The pose I'm choosing to work on is Dolphin Pose. I know that I need to gain upper body strength in order to achieve some other poses so i thought this might be a good challenge for me.  I've searched the web for what the correct form is in this pose and I've found tons of variations. So.... against me really wanting to post this... I'm putting my picture here. I do appreciate any feedback. 

Your pose looks just fine. You are bending your knees to help keep your spine straight. Keep working to straighten the shoulders eventually, all good. 

You are right there is plenty of bad stuff on the internet and also some very good info. This link http://www.yogaoutlet.com/guides/how-to-do-dolphin-pose-in-yoga is a proper teaching and the page has a link to downdog as well. The two poses are the same intention. The most important part of both poses is a long straight spine and the neck is part of the spine. Enjoy your practice

kayla and yogafire like this

I started this programme on the 1st of January and decided to give Crow's pose another try. I've been trying to do that for a while but I never got anywhere close. Nevertheless I wanted to see if focusing on it for a whole month might make a difference. And then I stumbled across a video that really explained it so well for me, how you just have to lean forward until you lift off. No jumping, no lifting one foot after the other, just leaning forward. I tried it for two days without getting off the mat, took my rest day and today it just worked. I got off the floor maybe 5 times, and I managed to stay off for about 5 seconds. My daughter even managed to take a picture of my success.

I am so excited and happy! Now I have a whole month to work on improving my posture... What an amazing start into 2016!

P1050206_2.jpg

yogafire and YogaByCandace like this

On 1/4/2016 at 2:23 PM, kfleming said:

Hello all,

I am curious if anyone could help, I started this yoga program on the first,  and I just had my wisdom teeth out today. It was a pretty big surgery and there were complications, so my doctor told me that I cant bend over (such as hinging at the hips) only squating straight down. Is there any alternatives for my situation. I was really sad when I realized I couldn't do yoga. 

Thank you,

Kinzie

Please rest! I remember sleeping most of the time and ingesting only liquids for an entire week when I got mine out.  I'm sorry to hear that there were complications.

I just got back from the doctor, who told me to stop my yoga and take a week to rest.  Turns out I aggravated the tendon on the top of my foot. I discovered the pain first during child's pose 2 weeks ago (but the root cause probably from trying on tight climbing shoes a few days before), and, the pain isn't getting any better.  

So, my plan is to follow along with all the guided meditations, focus on my breath, and my physical therapy exercises for my shoulder.  Perhaps that could be another alternative for you - meditation and do pranayama exercises while seated upright?

YogaByCandace and kfleming like this

I had trouble doing some (okay, ALL of them really haha) of the core exercises for Day 6 in the 15 minute video. Any suggestions for how to improve my core strength? I'm a beginner and very weak in my core (always have been) and I had difficulty rocking back and forth and even doing boat pose.