Wildore

Committing To The Mat

44 posts in this topic

I love the idea of accountability and yoga journal!  I have found that I am one of those people who hates to work out, but I feel so much better after I do.  I used to be really fit and in shape because I biked and walked 3 miles round trip to class every day for six months.  I was the skinniest I've ever been!  But then I graduated from college and my life became way more sedentary (also started a new relationship and that's also where my motivation went ;) ).  So I won't work out unless I'm accountable to others and/or I can actually see my progress.  I apparently don't care about making commitments to myself.  But I'm glad Candace has some five minute yogas, cause those would be perfect on the mornings when I have to wake up at 4 to get to work by 5.

mimisouth, KimK and YogaByCandace like this

I was first introduced to Yoga when I started doing P90X. That program has one do Yoga(Yoga X) once a week and Stretch X on the 7th day.  I had never considered Yoga before until that point. I had been playing around off and on with it, but I want to turn it into something I do everyday as I get older. So I am now committing to a 30 day challenge that has 15 per day and I am also doing before bed and after I wake up routines by Candace.  I hope to expand my practice to longer times once I get past the 30 days.  I have no set schedule as I work nights and on weekends it is all about the family.  I'll get there, just a matter of time :-)  I did buy a new mat that was recommended by Candace, blocks and strap to further my growth.

Scott

I hope this isn't a weird question, but is 10–20 minutes of yoga each day "enough"?

I know that I struggle with commitment because I want to lose weight, and a 10–20 minute workout doesn't seem like it would cut it. So I tell myself I have to do long and vigorous sessions (and often), which I'm sure we all know are much more difficult to commit to...

I guess what I'm asking is, if the goal is not weight loss, what benefits does a short session of yoga provide? (Or is it more important that the sessions are regularly scheduled, rather than the length/intensity of the practice?)

YogaByCandace likes this

I hope this isn't a weird question, but is 10–20 minutes of yoga each day "enough"?

I know that I struggle with commitment because I want to lose weight, and a 10–20 minute workout doesn't seem like it would cut it. So I tell myself I have to do long and vigorous sessions (and often), which I'm sure we all know are much more difficult to commit to...

I guess what I'm asking is, if the goal is not weight loss, what benefits does a short session of yoga provide? (Or is it more important that the sessions are regularly scheduled, rather than the length/intensity of the practice?)

I think 10-20 minutes a day is a great goal!  In terms of commitment, I find its best to play it by ear according to my body and day to day schedule.  If the situation allows for more time then thats great and I'm ready to get on the mat for a serious routine.  But if I only have a few minutes for the day or I'm not feeling up to the commitment of a long session then I'll only do a short routine.  

I think committing yourself to improvement requires slow work.  If you can do 10 or 20 minutes every day then you can start to work on making it a habit instead of an unattainable goal you're always working towards.  Habits require time and steady reinforcement.  If I'm feeling sick one day then I'll aim for 5 minutes of meditation as long as I'm doing it.  A few minutes of sun salutations can be very beneficial towards building a habit to working out and yoga. 

YogaByCandace, Turi and mimisouth like this

I think 10-20 minutes a day is a great goal!  In terms of commitment, I find its best to play it by ear according to my body and day to day schedule.  If the situation allows for more time then thats great and I'm ready to get on the mat for a serious routine.  But if I only have a few minutes for the day or I'm not feeling up to the commitment of a long session then I'll only do a short routine.  

I think committing yourself to improvement requires slow work.  If you can do 10 or 20 minutes every day then you can start to work on making it a habit instead of an unattainable goal you're always working towards.  Habits require time and steady reinforcement.  If I'm feeling sick one day then I'll aim for 5 minutes of meditation as long as I'm doing it.  A few minutes of sun salutations can be very beneficial towards building a habit to working out and yoga.

Thanks for the prompt reply, Wildore! :) I was feeling so inspired I got off the computer to do a little yoga right then!

I am interested in some sort of an accountability group or forum thread. New year's resolutions are going to be creeping up soon, so there should be plenty of interest...

YogaByCandace and Wildore like this

Thanks for the prompt reply, Wildore! :) I was feeling so inspired I got off the computer to do a little yoga right then!

I am interested in some sort of an accountability group or forum thread. New year's resolutions are going to be creeping up soon, so there should be plenty of interest...

I love that idea! Start it up!! 

As for what benefits a shorter yoga sesh provides - in addition to what Wildore said above, I also think that flexibility an added benefit of a consistent practice, even if it's a short practice. Doing rag doll pose while you wait for your tea water to boil in the morning may only be 5 mins a day, but that is going to have a huge impact in even just one week.

Further, the yoga and breathing go hand in hand. I always think of yoga as a meditation in movement, so even just a short time of full, deep breathing is so powerful to reduce stress in the body and promote a sense of clarity and calm. This is actually fantastic for weight loss because when our bodies are under a lot of stress they produce cortisol which is bad news. A constant state of stress can also impact sleeping, and getting quality sleep is a huge factor is weight loss. So keep up your practice, regardless of whether it's a 5 minute practice or 60 min class. :)

Turi and kmkb like this

This is a great idea!  I'm sure there will be a thread popping up sometime soon about resolutions for the new year.  Sometimes these threads can get a little bit crowded and the sense of togetherness in the group is lost because there are just too many people aiming for too many different things!

I think we should aim to have a group of about 10 or so users who want to make a goal in the new year to casually practice yoga everyday.  I think the smaller group offers more opportunities to really bond and help one another instead of being lost in a sea of replies found on one massive thread.  This is a great idea!

kmkb and YogaByCandace like this

I love that idea! Start it up!! 

As for what benefits a shorter yoga sesh provides - in addition to what Wildore said above, I also think that flexibility an added benefit of a consistent practice, even if it's a short practice. Doing rag doll pose while you wait for your tea water to boil in the morning may only be 5 mins a day, but that is going to have a huge impact in even just one week.

Further, the yoga and breathing go hand in hand. I always think of yoga as a meditation in movement, so even just a short time of full, deep breathing is so powerful to reduce stress in the body and promote a sense of clarity and calm. This is actually fantastic for weight loss because when our bodies are under a lot of stress they produce cortisol which is bad news. A constant state of stress can also impact sleeping, and getting quality sleep is a huge factor is weight loss. So keep up your practice, regardless of whether it's a 5 minute practice or 60 min class. :)

Thank you so much, Candace! Along with watching videos online, I picked up How To Use Yoga by Mira Mehta and I'm following the 10-week program. I started yesterday after this forum thread inspired me!

This is a great idea!  I'm sure there will be a thread popping up sometime soon about resolutions for the new year.  Sometimes these threads can get a little bit crowded and the sense of togetherness in the group is lost because there are just too many people aiming for too many different things!

I think we should aim to have a group of about 10 or so users who want to make a goal in the new year to casually practice yoga everyday.  I think the smaller group offers more opportunities to really bond and help one another instead of being lost in a sea of replies found on one massive thread.  This is a great idea!

I definitely agree on keeping the group small—it is pretty overwhelming to sort through all of the pages. Let's do it!!!

YogaByCandace likes this

When I first committed to practice yoga daily I only committed to 10 minutes a day. This was challenging enough at the time but quite soon you find that you need to increase your practice to achieve the same results! I always listen to my body and choose a video to reflect that. So much more achievable and enjoyable..

Scott, kmkb, YogaByCandace and 1 other like this

Hello friends!

I am thinking of starting a 6-week yoga challenge thread! Nothing fancy; just a support group of yogis and yoginis committing to the mat and checking in on each other. My thought is that if it's six weeks long, it's long enough to become not another one-time/whirlwind New Year's resolution, but it's not too long that the thread becomes too much to sift through. Any interest?

Also, Candace, which forum would be most appropriate to post this in?

YogaByCandace and yogagrammy like this

Hello friends!

I am thinking of starting a 6-week yoga challenge thread! Nothing fancy; just a support group of yogis and yoginis committing to the mat and checking in on each other. My thought is that if it's six weeks long, it's long enough to become not another one-time/whirlwind New Year's resolution, but it's not too long that the thread becomes too much to sift through. Any interest?

Also, Candace, which forum would be most appropriate to post this in?

Awesome idea! I'm going to have Greg create a separate forum in the YogaByCandace Community forum specifically for challenges because I think I've seen others floating around who do theirs (on social media), and I could put mine in there as well and we would all have one forum of ongoing challenge threads. I love that! He'll get it later today for sure. Stay tuned  :)

kmkb, Meugenio and yogagrammy like this

Great ideas here! I'm getting on my mat but am not feeling very motivated. I'm so busy right now, as I'm sure everyone is this time of year, that my mind wanders and is not very focused on my practice. Maybe a little interaction is what I need!

kmkb and Turi like this

Awesome idea! I'm going to have Greg create a separate forum in the YogaByCandace Community forum specifically for challenges because I think I've seen others floating around who do theirs (on social media), and I could put mine in there as well and we would all have one forum of ongoing challenge threads. I love that! He'll get it later today for sure. Stay tuned  :)

Is that YBC Community Challenges? I didn't know if I could post in that one because so far it's only been the two challenges you've featured on your blog.

Are there any groupon deals or amazon local deals for yoga studios closeby? Last year, I went to a place that offered unlimited yoga classes for a month for $30 (this year it's $40).  So then I went almost every single day to get my "money's worth".  A lot of studios usually have a newcomers deal so you can explore classes to find a teacher you like.  I think other offers were $25 for an unlimited week.  Just a warning that you'll probably be sore the first few days if doing it everyday.

I'm lucky that I found two yoga studios that are within walking distance of my place, so, that helps overcome some humps.  I found out after building a relationship with a certain teacher, I look forward to that class and make it a priority to attend and pause whatever else is going on.

This is my experience.

I bought a Groupon before the beginning of October and during the month of October I went to the studio as much as I possibly could.

I also find that following other yogis on Instagram gives me inspiration to keep trying. I know it's very easy to see other people who are more advanced and become discouraged but I am using it as a source of motivation. 

I have a pretty set schedule for work during the week so I typically try to wake up at a decent hour to have at least 45 minutes to an hour to dedicate to practice.

Great Yoga workout after I woke up today for about 40 minutes. Dripping sweat  :) .  But that was not what I wanted to say.  What can one do during idle time when not on the mat? Well yesterday while brushing my teeth, standing around. I decided to do something Yoga related while do that boring task. I chose to do a balancing posture, "Warrior III", holding for about 15 seconds each side. See, it can be done, anytime, anyplace.  No I do not have time excuses hehe. 

mimisouth, kmkb and YogaByCandace like this

Great Yoga workout after I woke up today for about 40 minutes. Dripping sweat  :) .  But that was not what I wanted to say.  What can one do during idle time when not on the mat? Well yesterday while brushing my teeth, standing around. I decided to do something Yoga related while do that boring task. I chose to do a balancing posture, "Warrior III", holding for about 15 seconds each side. See, it can be done, anytime, anyplace.  No I do not have time excuses hehe. 

Interesting.

I did A LOT of yoga yesterday after calling into work.

While I was doing some of the poses I was following on Youtube I remember thinking, "I can start watching tv like this" or "I can start reading like this" instead of thinking about how much I'd rather be doing yoga WHILE reading about yoga. lol.

YogaByCandace likes this

Interesting.

I did A LOT of yoga yesterday after calling into work.

While I was doing some of the poses I was following on Youtube I remember thinking, "I can start watching tv like this" or "I can start reading like this" instead of thinking about how much I'd rather be doing yoga WHILE reading about yoga. lol.

These are both so awesome! I just started doing that with my bolster and blocks. I'll set it up like the first picture here and then watch a show like that. Great way to open the chest while just hanging out. 

Bumping this oldie back up.

I'm in the process of rekindling my relationship with my mat.

I fell off my practice when I went back to working in an office almost three years ago.

I had an on/off thing with it until last year, when I fell completely off.

Other hobbies, life. .. whatever... we broke up.

Fast forward to the start of this year, viral pneumonia kicked my tail, subsequent infections left me wasted, weak and in bad shape.

I'm lucky, I work in a medical office, one of my nurses is also a yoga instructor. She encouraged me to come to class and just roll out my mat and be present.

I did... I struggled through 15 minutes of our 1 hour class, laid in Savasana and let the tears run down my temples.

I went back the next week and did the same.

I found myself mourning my old practice, the one that I had left and was angry with my current body (medication weight, stress related hair loss.. etc)

Each time, my active participation in class grew and my tears lessened.

It's been 3 months,I make it through a whole class now and I have just started to rekindle home practice, now that I feel more confident and capable.

I'm still a long way off, but I realize that it really is a commitment and more like a relationship than an exercise routine.

My mat is really only a tangible represtation of myself.

I'm on the right path physically, emotionally and spiritually.

So, I'm making a goal of getting out my mat daily, even if it only means Savasana for a little while.

I can relate to having difficulty committing to the mat. I have been practicing yoga for over a year now, and starting in January I made a resolution (with the help of Lesley Fightmaster's 90 Yoga Fix-look it up, it's awesome for committment) to be on the mat at least five days a week. So far I've been able to keep that up, which is shocking for me.

Ways I have done it:

I've followed programs/projects including Candace's many projects and Lesley's that I mentioned. Having a routine for each day helped me to not waste time deciding what kind of practice I was going to do and then not do a practice at all.

Kept in mind how yoga made me feel both on and off the mat. It is a completely nurturing experience for me and that is very enticing. Figure out why you've come back to the mat and use it.

Change up the routine. Do whatever your body feels that day, even if it means that you need a rest day. If you force yourself onto the mat, your love for yoga might vanish because it feels too forced. I wander all over youtube and pinterest when I'm deciding what I want to do, and settle on a video/sequence (after much debate of course) based on what I feel connected to for that day. Change it up. Try different teachers, styles. Try making up your own sequence. Mix it in to other workouts.

I don't know if this will help anyone, but this is how I have kept up my practice! I'm inspired that so many people are trying to commit to the mat. That means we aren't alone! So let's keep it up!

EricaKaye likes this