Jenny

Yoga and depression

7 posts in this topic

Has yoga and meditation help with depression? I started doing yoga six months ago.I don't feel much yet I am more flexible.I do guided meditation every night before I fall asleep.It's tough though I can't seem to relax enough to get much out of it.

I'm basically up for any advice

Hi Jenny. I do think yoga and meditation may help with mild depression, but always best to seek out help from a qualified therapist. Perhaps search for a yoga nidra on youtube (or I have one here). Yoga Nidra is usually a little longer than a quick guided meditation and it's meant to take you a bit deeper, so perhaps you'd see a difference? Let us know..

Hi Jenny!

I was suffering from bad PostPartum Depression.  I also have generalized anxiety disorder.
Yoga has helped me tremendously, but in partnership with counseling.  I found a Somatic Therapist in my area - she helps me understand my body's reaction to the different stresses in my life.

It did take me awhile, though.  It's 9 months later and I still have bouts of depression.

The thing that really helped was setting intentions for myself and really making the meditation part of it a priority.
Before and after every practice I will say, for example, "you are strong and beautiful - each movement in this practice will be to feel strong and beautiful".
With each transition, pose, I remind myself of this intention.  At the end I remind myself of the intention I set and reflect on how I feel afterwards.

Definitely find a good therapist that fits you and work with them on incorporating yoga into your treatment.

Good luck and sending so many hugs your way.

yogafire likes this

This is a great topic. I started yoga to meet physical goals, but ended up sticking with it because of the huge difference it made in my well being. As a lifelong anxiety sufferer, I find that yoga doesn't cure my depression/anxiety, rather it gives me the tools to cope with it. I've been practicing since 2009, and I still go through bouts of depression (even just in the last month!), but I'm able to identify more closely with the temporary nature of the present moment, connect with my breath, and pull myself out of it. I've learned that I will always encounter times like this, just as I will always encounter times of joy and wonderment.
Hang in there, keep with your yoga practice, find a good counselor/therapist to work with, surround yourself with all the beautiful people in this world, and when times get tough just focus on breathing one breath at a time. Sending you all my love and support.

yogafire and Hildegard like this

1 hour ago, Jennifer said:

With each transition, pose, I remind myself of this intention.  At the end I remind myself of the intention I set and reflect on how I feel afterwards.

Another intention my teacher asked us to think about recently was, "I am enough". I dismissed it at first, but then in the middle of my practice, it dawned on me how much my perspective changed once I believed in the intention.

Hi!

Like others here, I definitely find yoga and meditation extremely helpful for my mental health. But it wasn't the only thing I did, because with things like depression and anxiety, which can be super crippling, you have to attack it from all angles. However, it was extremely monumental in self-care and self-help with the issues I've had and has become a great way to check in with myself. It allows you to have some power in your thoughts and in turn your actions towards yourself. Now it's a permanent part of my wellness routine and I don't know where I would be without it! 

Hildegard likes this

Yoga is certainly good for depression... I know some people who recovered from depression with the tecniques in yoga. If the techniques are done in discipline and correctly, results come...

With increasing awareness coming with yoga, people can improve their life... I can say that by doing yoga, you realize yourself and others more, then take decisions which make you more happy, be away from environments that doesn't serve you anything good. By increasing self-awareness and taking attention from outside world to inside world, which brings increased self-value as well.