ZillaRac

Not in practice

24 posts in this topic

Ate there any poses that are just not in your practice? Anything you're working up to? Alternatively ate there any poses that you're totally confident with doing?

I can't do any inversions :( well except downward facing dog! 

yogafire and YogaByCandace like this

There are absolutely poses not in my practice! I do not practice Wheel or Kapotasana because I have shoulder issues and it's just plain not worth injuring myself to force myself into these postures. There are also a whole host of poses that I will do if they're in a class, but that I never choose to do on my own. Often, because , frankly, I forget! There are so many different poses. I'm sure there are others, like handstand for example - I give it my best, but I can't really do it yet.

Don't get discouraged, not every pose is for everyone. The most important part of yoga is doing what's right for your body. If you want another inversion to add to your practice, though - try Legs up the wall! It's definitely an inversion, and suuper relaxing :)

Same here. There are poses that just aren't in my practice because I am not at that level. Also, the poses in my practice can change from day to day and sometimes I will practice wheel and sometimes it will not happen for me that day because of my back and wrists. It's all about what's best for you.

I'm getting to the point where headstand is a regular part of my practice because I can almost hold it now. Almost. It's pretty exciting when you get to add new elements to your practice.

You can also try shoulder stand for an inversion as well! 

Yes I do shoulder stand which feels amazing! 

I think my total comfort pose is warrior 2 or triangle with a bind? Or tree? Too many to list!

YogaByCandace likes this

It's a discovery each day!

I also like Warrior 2 - it makes me feel most grounded. Now I like doing all lunges - I've received a ton of alignment cues this past year to make me feel more confident I am getting the most out of the poses - they make me feel like I counteract the stiffness from constant sitting from work.

The inaccessible ones for me due to lack of strength are:

• arm balances, even crow pose. I can only do baby grasshopper if that counts, but that's because it uses one leg.
  • forearm stand and handstand

Then there are the twisty bound poses that still boggle my mind. I'll be ok with them never being in my practice. :)  Example: how the top arm goes through in Bound Half Lord of the Fishes Pose (Baddha Ardha Matsyendrasana).

I used to do things in my practice, and then realized I had some joint pain that made me back off and find modifications, or do an alternative. As afriske already mentioned, what feels right for the body can change every day. Knowing yourself and what is in and not in your practice for that day is key!

If my wrists and shoulders are feeling wonky:

• Modify full vinyasas to on my knees and low cobra
  • Do forearm stand with my hands clasped (easier on shoulders) instead of handstand
  • Repeat bridge instead of full wheel due to shoulder issues
  • Try out crow pose once, twice, or not all depending on my wrists

I skip these entirely due to neck pain:

• Shoulder stand
  • Supported headstand (a little disappointed about this because I can balance in this pose but not in forearm stand yet)
  • Camel (or I only go back a little so my head doesn't fall back)

If my quads or knees are weak:

• I put a block in between my knees for bridge pose to remember to engage my legs and not splay outward
  • For bow pose, if I don't feel warmed up enough to lift using my quads instead of pulling my knees, I will just do locust

Wow, the number of modifications I've made over the years is greater than I realized after I listed them out! But I'm glad - developing this self-awareness has been one of the greatest things yoga has taught me. I don't blindly follow the teacher now or the rest of class.

It's so good that you've found a lot of variations that work for body!

I honestly had to Google that pose because I didn't know what it was! Hahahahaa

My nemesis is maybe gomukasana. I can do it but it's no love lost if It's not in my practice And pigeon pose. Urgh! They hurt! 

Things I'm working on too is bird of paradise. I love that pose because it's total body but balance is not one of my strong points ?

And I love padamotanasana and variation of that is perhaps my favourite! I'm trying to get my head to the floor. Practice and all will come

YogaByCandace and yogafire like this

A billion that aren't in my practice include: 

• full bow pose with the crazy arms
  • bound lotus
  • split like 40% of the time haha
  • press up to handstand
  • kapotasana like 30% of the time - depends on how warmed up I am and if I've been good at stretching my chest and hip flexors in the days prior
  • and I do not enjoy lizard pose in the least and pretty much avoid it like the plague which I know isn't good!
yogafire, brenskip55 and ZillaRac like this

20 hours ago, ZillaRac said:

It's so good that you've found a lot of variations that work for body!

I honestly had to Google that pose because I didn't know what it was! Hahahahaa

My nemesis is maybe gomukasana. I can do it but it's no love lost if It's not in my practice And pigeon pose. Urgh! They hurt! 

Things I'm working on too is bird of paradise. I love that pose because it's total body but balance is not one of my strong points ?

And I love padamotanasana and variation of that is perhaps my favourite! I'm trying to get my head to the floor. Practice and all will come

Ha, I had to Google that pose too - I never caught the sanskrit name during class, and, I only learned the English name from another forum user in one of Candace's posts about binds!

I find it interesting to see how everyone's body is different. Some poses we're working on overlap - like you, I can't do inversions yet, but, binds are easier for me. However, I feel lots of intensity in pigeon pose, but gomukasana is more mild for me in the legs. Are you trying to touch your head to the floor in this pose, or something else? 

Don't say balance isn't your strong point if one of your comfort poses is tree pose! :)  You're right though - balancing while in a bind feels like a whole different exercise. I chose bird of paradise to focus on during the 30 day mindfulness program. I thought I was "confident" in one side more over the other, but when I reviewed my pictures (I documented them in the readers' blogs section), I realized it was the opposite!  I thought the side when my right leg was lifted as my "stronger" side because it was closer to being straight, but, I discovered that I was extending my right leg at the expense of tilting my shoulders to maintain my balance on my left leg (which is weaker for balancing). My balancing leg is more important as my foundation, so now I'm making sure I take the intermediate step and not straighten the leg until I feel very stable.

I totally put the wrong pose ? I meant parsarita Padottanasana aka wide legged forward fold or Any sort of variation of that.

I wobble and hop all over the place majority of the time in bird of paradise but it's all about practice.

I haven't been doing the 30 day challenge although I wish I started it now so I can document myself and see my progress. I've been mainly doing creative flows, so a lot of warrior 3, tree pose, extended side angle. I guess because I feel comfortable in these poses so they're my go to when I feel like I need a practice.

robert likes this

Not too late to join!

Thanks for confirming the pose - I was trying to figure out how the head could touch in the other one! haha!  

The wide legged forward fold is a great one for me personally.  It's one of those poses I just kept doing (rather then focus on other poses as prep), and it came naturally.  I just repeated the series during a weekly Ashtanga led class, and, I was pleasantly surprised when my head touched.  It probably took a couple years for me - I work at a very gradual pace :)!  But now that I think about it, I think refining all my lunges helped me build my leg strength so I could widen my stance and hold it - that way, the ground was closer to me.

Yes I'm almost 6 foot so if I get down low enough I can place my forehead on the floor.

I've never tried ashtanga before. Perhaps I should. I usually do vinyasa flow.

This ashtanga led class was hidden under a vinyasa-based class.  They can be hidden under the general vinyasa classes, so you might be doing most of it already! A way to increase your chances is to look in the teacher bios for those that studied with Sri Pattabhi Jois.

The main difference is that an ashtanga led class will repeat the primary series.  Maybe not always strictly - we mostly skipped the last row of the seated sequence.  It's a less intimidating environment than Mysore, where my understanding is that you just stop and finish when you can't progress to the next asana in the series. I probably shy around from that because it makes it painfully obvious on what is "not in my practice"! haha!

Progress can appear faster due to repetition. Usually I dislike repeating the same thing, but I liked the class because of the teacher - she would open with her own lecture and some exercises on proper alignment, and then we would do primary series. Even though the asanas were the same, the lectures were always different.

ZillaRac likes this

That's actually useful! I've watched ashtanga videos and It covers the same poses mostly. Ashtanga seems so hard core though but I guess you find what feels good to you

Candace, I am sure you can press up into handstand. I saw a video of you one time starting to do the one hand handstand, so the regular handstand has to be no problem. I struggled with pressing up for a long time and I am sure I had the ability to do it but it just wasn't happening for me. I wasn't 'chasing a pose' I was just working on building strength. One day I learned to bring my shoulders out in front of my hands, move the weight forward like crow pose maybe, and add a little backbend. All of a sudden my feet came off the ground with what seemed like very little effort. I saw my feet come off the ground and I was really surprised. I think it is just a question of getting the technique right. Another thing to try is Prasarita Padottanasana A (wide legged standing fold) just push the hands and straighten the arms, shift the weight forward, lift the hips and the feet should lift up fairly easily. That would be wide legged pressing up into handstand. Let us know if you get it.

ZillaRac, I think Ashtanga gets messed up sometimes. Almost everything I see does look hard core, that's kind of messed up. Any yoga should start at a very comfortable beginner version and progress from there. The Ashtanga system does work very well for some and it would be nice if it were more accessible to all. And there is no reason for it not to be. It would be nice if the first thing people were introduced to was something like this video  An Introduction to Ashtanga Yoga Practice - Gentle Beginners Routine Then if that starts to seem a little too easy something like this Ashtanga Yoga for Beginners - Half Primary Series Then start working towards a full primary series. 

ZillaRac and robert like this

Thank so much Anahata! I'm gonna try that. I've seen some controversy around ashtanga but I guess you never know until you try it for yourself. I guess I like the variety of vinyasa rather than the same sequence of poses if that makes sense.

Ashtanga is my favorite. That is so challenging I never get bored.

And Oh I forgot, I don't know if I will ever do Janu Sirsasana C I can actually do it, or used to, I haven't tried it in a long time. I don't know how to keep the knee safe so I won't do it until I am really sure about that. Maybe never and I am fine with that.Many other poses too for all different reasons.

I can't do cow face pose either.  My legs are tight and I can't touch my hands.. So I tend to avoid it.. I need to work on shoulder flexibility but at the moment I've been focusing on hips as I have a very sedentary job and my hips are always tight.

Cow face pose is on my list to bring into my regular practice.. I felt the same way about fire log pose, frog and dolphin.. But they are now in my regular practice.  Frog is still very hard and perhaps I've not seen a great improvement but I will keep at it but fire log and dolphin I am now enjoying..

Yes! My hips are super tight, I'm on my feet at all and I lift as well but I find that most hip/groin openers are ok but cow faced legs are hard! The stretch is almost too intense 

Most upper body strength pose tend to be the bane of my existence. Crow pose, even after all these years, it's hit and miss (mostly hitting the mat as I tend to fall on my forearms or to the side). Forearm stand isn't happening, same for flying pigeon and the like. Handstands I haven't even tried and don't even plan to try (when people suggest practicing against a wall I can't help but wonder as what their homes look like. There's not a single free wall in my entire flat for me to practice against).

On the other hand, Eka Pada Urdhva Dhanurasana is something of a comfort pose, as is bird of paradise.

I know yoga is a journey, and I know for a fact that my body is both stronger and more flexible than when I started, but sometimes it's easy to get discouraged. Confidence comes and goes, which is why it's important to learn to let go and simply be in the moment - something I'm working on for my own peace of mind.

yogafire and ZillaRac like this

Totally agree with you, if I practiced against a wall I'd probably knock a picture frame off!

I know we all like to try and get the poses that look 'cool' but I like Gate and thread the needle. They help me work out the kinks in my body which to me is what the physical aspects of yoga are about. Think about it, most people don't come to yoga because they do, most come for fitness or to help some sort of ailment, physical or not. The poses I find are at most comfortable with my body and practice are the things that come naturally like cat and cow, child's, supine twists ect because you can find a part of those which work entirely for you rather than forcing yourself into a headstand or Pincha.

I think it's the simple poses that make up the practice

yogafire likes this

56 minutes ago, Hildegard said:

(when people suggest practicing against a wall I can't help but wonder as what their homes look like. There's not a single free wall in my entire flat for me to practice against).

Haha! When I read the first sentence, I thought you meant, do people have holes in their walls from kicking up into handstand?  

But yes, wall space is sparse if there is no wasted space in the floor plan and wall art.  Have you tried against a closed bathroom door, or the front entrance door?

I currently have only one free wall space just slightly wider than mat width - between a built-in bookshelf and the bed.  In my last place, there was a short hallway between the bathroom and bedroom that I liked to use and bounce between either wall.

brenskip55 likes this

2 hours ago, yogafire said:

Haha! When I read the first sentence, I thought you meant, do people have holes in their walls from kicking up into handstand?  

But yes, wall space is sparse if there is no wasted space in the floor plan and wall art.  Have you tried against a closed bathroom door, or the front entrance door?

I currently have only one free wall space just slightly wider than mat width - between a built-in bookshelf and the bed.  In my last place, there was a short hallway between the bathroom and bedroom that I liked to use and bounce between either wall.

Heee! I sure hope yoga doesn't leave that kind of mark on people's homes.

Wall space can be quite a luxury. Unfortunately, every door in every room has furniture next to it, and odds are I'd fall on it :P

yogafire likes this