kshhrvn

day 6 of 31 day new you yoga program and im starting to feel defeated. is this normal?

8 posts in this topic

I've always been really petite with a high metabolism. It's hard for me to gain weight so I never felt the need to work out (sad to say, I know) but now that I'm 25 and have 2 kids, doing yoga for the first time has me feeling defeated, especially after being the type to find it hard to commit to yoga like I did last year. since I started the 31 day program with ybc, I've been pushing myself to keep going but some of the poses I feel so defeated one after the other. I have trouble with upper body strength, like today I had to practice the crow pose and I couldn't get it for the life of me. Do any of my yoga newbies have any suggestions on how to feel less defeated and stay committed?

YogaByCandace likes this

34 minutes ago, kshhrvn said:

... any suggestions on how to feel less defeated and stay committed?

I once told an instructor my frustration about not being able to do something (bind)

He interrupted me and said...

...then you're not doing yoga. Yoga isn't about focusing on what you can't do. It's a celebration about what you can...

Since then, I've had a different outlook. 

You're 25, I have shoes older than you!

Yoga isn't a short term goal, it's a lifestyle that you might carry with you for the rest of your life.

Just continue your practice. What ever difficulties you have today will soon be mastered and will be replaced with newer challenges.

Candace has been posting images of her (2-3? year) attempt to master Scorpion. As she says...practice makes progress

Enjoy the journey.

That being said...I'm sure someone who can do Crow will help you...I can't :) (crow...in my humble opinion isn't a beginner's pose)

Are you practicing on your own or with an instructor?

45 minutes ago, LarryD517 said:

That being said...I'm sure someone who can do Crow will help you...I can't :) (crow...in my humble opinion isn't a beginner's pose)

Are you practicing on your own or with an instructor?

Well, your instructor just made perfect sense! I'm glad you shared that with me! I'm not practicing with an instructor, but I am looking into yoga studios in my area to see which one suits me better. So eventually I would like to try and have an instructor to teach me hands-on, but for now im just studying everything Candace puts out.

And i highly agree about the crow not being a beginner pose. It made me wonder what was intermediate lol ?

:D

I joined a gym that offers unlimited classes (it's cheaper than paying for individual classes at a studio). See if there's one like that near you.

Go slow, work on the easy stuff. Even though they're beginner poses...mastering them can take years. For example, Downward Dog isn't an advanced pose, but it's one you can spend a great deal of time trying to master.

Doing a pose and doing it properly are two different things.

YogaByCandace and kshhrvn like this

Like you.. I've always been petite and never tried to lose weight... Also never tried to gain muscle. Which now that I'm practicing yoga - I wish I had. I've only been "back" to yoga for the last 6 months... but I'm already finding that I can do things more easily now than I did when I was doing yoga 2 years ago. I soooo wanted to do Crow 2 years ago (even fell and bruised my jaw.. because i rushed it). Now instead of trying to do crow I'm focusing on poses that will help me build the strength I need to do crow.

I use to just go through the moves - now I'm focusing on the form. I think Candace does an awesome job explaining how to move from pose to pose and where our weight should be focused on. (I've gotten into poses that i never dreamed of) She does a better job verbally explaining them... then the classes i'm going to now. But sometimes it is nice to have an instructor to watch you do it and then come over and adjust things. I also record myself every time I practice at home and then rewatch it to see where i could improve. 

My favorite thing about Yoga is you don't have to be able to do a pose... you do what works for you. 

YogaByCandace, yogafire and kshhrvn like this

First, congrats for starting this program and trying something new!  I think similarly to what Larry's instructor had said, one way to not feel defeated is to understand that an aspect that makes yoga always refreshing and exciting is that there is always progress made somewhere, which can change day by day.

It does seem unfair to have crow pose in the beginning of this program, but given that my studio teachers sometimes show some wild looking pose near the end of class, they always encourage us to just try and play with the attempt - not to worry about actually getting it. It's just fun to expose yourself to something new, and, all those attempts just trying to get to the pose can help build strength or awaken muscles we didn't know exist.

I was just thinking about crow pose in the other thread about poses not in our yoga practice!  There are others, even yoga teachers, who still can't do or prefer not to do certain poses. I noticed some teachers will still teach them without demo'ing, fully acknowledging that pose isn't even in their own practice.  Everyone's body is different!

Not to scare you, but, I still can't hold crow pose after 5 years.  I also have little upper body strength and my core needs more work, so I know why I still can't hold it.  It can be a frustrating pose because other people (mostly men) can often do it naturally on their first attempt (in my case, my husband and friends).  Yoga is a nice discovery about yourself - some things will come naturally more than others, and some will feel easier to do over time.

kshhrvn and YogaByCandace like this

Maybe think of yoga as running a marathon. Or better, climbing Mt Everest. It is unreasonable for anyone to think that they could just jump to the end in one step. Even the world's top athletes struggle with getting there and have to pace themselves. But we all can do it if we break it up into manageable distances and small steps. And with climbing a mountain the top is nice but we want to enjoy the trip up just as much.

Try watching this short video Maria Villella on Adjustments, Ego and Injury In the first minute or so where she talks about the teacher and the student. Think of the teacher as your mind and the student as your body. When ever she says teacher that is your mind, and student that is your body. Then, around 1minute 15 seconds, when she talks about ego remember the first part. You might have to watch the video a few (or 50 times) to understand all of what that means to you.

YogaByCandace, kshhrvn and knic like this

10 hours ago, kshhrvn said:

I've always been really petite with a high metabolism. It's hard for me to gain weight so I never felt the need to work out (sad to say, I know) but now that I'm 25 and have 2 kids, doing yoga for the first time has me feeling defeated, especially after being the type to find it hard to commit to yoga like I did last year. since I started the 31 day program with ybc, I've been pushing myself to keep going but some of the poses I feel so defeated one after the other. I have trouble with upper body strength, like today I had to practice the crow pose and I couldn't get it for the life of me. Do any of my yoga newbies have any suggestions on how to feel less defeated and stay committed?

This breaks my heart! The last thing I want is for you to feel defeated. Here are some thoughts: 

• are you eating enough prior to practicing yoga? With two kiddos to take care of and a full schedule of your own, adding in power yoga will require extra energy, so maybe just check to be sure you're eating enough throughout the day prior to yoga? (but avoid eating 1-2 hours before yoga.)
  • if you want, feel free to post your crow pose on instagram or the app - I'm happy to take a look and can usually give a tip or two that can help. 
  • I am in the middle of writing a post called "I don't give a s#it about handstand" and basically I'm just explaining that I seriously couldn't care less about the final pose. The final pose means nothing to me. But the time and effort and sweat and yes, the tears, it took to get there? That's the juicy stuff. That's the stuff I live for. The wobbles, the quick second I'll meet with the full expression of a pose before tumbling out of it - I love that more than I love when I finally nail it. Like, just watching that video almost brings me to tears because it is SO hard for me to do and I'm still not really even doing the full scorpion pose, but it represents so much hard work and dedication and is a nod to my practice over the last few years. It is so highly personal to me, and at the end of the day, I just have to appreciate the journey and all it has taught, as cheesy as that sounds. 
  •  My advice to you is to fall in love with this process. If we were perfect at everything we did on the very first attempt, life would be so lame. You are a strong, amazing woman who has a lot on her plate. Give yourself a break and remember the schedule is just a suggestion. Do what works for you and what doesn't? Skip it. :)
Hildegard, Lydia, msinkblot and 5 others like this