Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
robert

Right Biceps Femoris tendon pain

4 posts in this topic

My flexibility in my hamstrings has improved greatly from where it started, though my left side has always been looser than the right. Several months ago I started experiencing a pain in my right Biceps Femoris tendon, which often triggers before feeling any stretch in the hamstring. I have been cautious with it and rested it over the Christmas period, doing little yoga besides gentle restorative poses for about 3 weeks. While doing reclined big toe pose (with a strap) today I noticed it again.

Any ideas?

No ideas, but, I just wanted to give you my sympathy! Are there modifications you can do, such as if you keep your knees more bent, does that still aggravate the pain?

There is a forward fold variation (source site) to bend the knees so much that the belly is on top of the quads. That helps me strengthen my quads more and feels like a different stretch.  would that be gentler for your hamstrings?

It only seems to be triggered by poses that isolate the hamstrings, such as reclining big toe mentioned above. I don't notice in regular forward bends. I've been avoiding such isolating poses, but I'm being cautious overall as I don't wish to slowly damage a tendon/muscle.

Thanks for the suggestion, the variation you posted is about the state of my forward bends at the current time.

Hi @robert! How is your hamstring doing?  Recently I thought of you while at class! We did pyramid pose and had our hands at our hips. We first folded halfway, just to 90 degrees angle (torso parallel to floor), and the teacher said "This can be healing for a hamstring injury, so stay here if you have one".  Like this below, except we had our hands at our hips (to help with alignment).  Strains can take months to heal, so I hope you're ok!

hp_275_05_FNL.jpg