Stepha

Reject yoga when stressed

5 posts in this topic

Hi Candace, I've been practicing for omg, I just realized for 5 months now! Mainly I started from Youtube and found you. From a person with a skeptical perception towards inner peace, zen and bla bla bla all those things, I experienced a moment of peace one fine day during savasana and I realized I feel so much better every time after practice. So I fell for yoga.

At first, It was not easy to get my head to wrap around the thoughts of meditation in spiritual aspects, which is why I enjoyed your videos, where you emphasized more about connecting with our breath and bringing awareness, instead of me joining first time and I have to search for my soul in the inner-self, which is rather intimidating for some because we aren't exposed to those kinds of thoughts before, and to be thrown into a situation where we had no idea what is going and not understanding at all about the depth of yoga within the mind, I think it's one of the reasons why most people reject yoga at first session.

That being said, I'm glad to announce that I'm enjoying myself more and more after every practice, and slowly understand more about the mental and spiritual aspects of yoga, and accepting it. However, I find it difficult to empty my mind, especially when I'm stressed out. I will be on the mat and my mind is reluctant to be quiet and in the end I would not practice or even try to meditate at all. It goes like, Goddammit I can't be zen right now! nah mean? (strictly, only when i'm really stressed out.)

And I don't want that, I hope yoga can help me calm down when I'm stressed out. Any tips on overcoming this? :)

Ah you're so awesome, @Stepha! Realizing all this stuff is the good, juicy, delicious stuff. It's exactly WHAT yoga is, so pat yourself on the back because the awareness, self-inquiry and examination of what's going on is what it's all about. 

Anyway, yes - some tips from personal experience. So I am a visual person, and I think of my stream of thoughts like an old school tv that's been left on. Do you remember those old school tvs that had the giant knobs and you'd press one of the knobs in and the tv would shut off? My grandma had one. Anyway, at the beginning of my centerings and meditations, I always visualize that constant stream of nonsense on the tv (my thoughts) and "flick the switch" to turn them off. I will actually visualize myself turning off the stream of thoughts, and when I do it, I imagine that there's nothing going on in my head. Everything is quieted, and all I hear is my breath. Give that a try. :)

Lydia, Robbie, Stepha and 2 others like this

Hi Stepha

I think this is one of the most difficult aspects of yoga, and takes as much practice as any of the asanas.

There's an app that Candace recommended that I have found very helpful called Headspace. It is a complete beginners guide to meditation and starts with 10 free days of 10 minute guided meditations. The guy who does it has a very simple and very easy way of quieting my mind, he has totally changed my approach to meditation. One method he uses is to imagine the mind like the sky; Most days the sky is full of clouds, sometimes they are slow moving fluffy white clouds, other times they are turbulent stormy black clouds. Regardless of the weather conditions, if you climb high enough, above those clouds are calm peaceful blue skies. I find it helpful to bear that in mind that you are never very far away from tranquillity, it's just a short plane ride away. If I actually visualise myself climbing up above the clouds I can see the blue sky and somehow trick my mind into falling quiet. Very simple and very effective. I hope it can help you too :)

Stepha and afriske like this

Thank you so much for the tips Candace and Robbie! I'll definitely try switching the tv off and Headspace :) It's very motivating to get helpful replies like this. Thank you again. *Hugs

Robbie likes this

I really connect with this question @Stepha! I started doing yoga because it helps me stress less, but in the past I felt very discouraged by my own thoughts saying things like, "how can you possibly relax right now?" I like the tips from Candace and @Robbie; they are super helpful! I find doing some centering before the yoga works nicely. Even just doing a guided meditation beforehand is helpful. I seem to feel better listening to someone else talk to me. It helps me focus on that instead of my thoughts. Similar to what Robbie and Candace said too. I think thinking of your thoughts as visual objects can be very helpful. I personally like to picture mine as leaves floating along a stream or as clouds passing by. It's almost like you are watching your thoughts instead of experiencing them. Hope this helps! Love this thread <3

YogaByCandace, Robbie and yogafire like this