scottcraft

Breakfast recommendations?

25 posts in this topic

I'm considering going to the gym in the mornings before work. Normally I eat fried eggs at home for breakfast. I won't be able to go home from the gym and then go to work, so I'm looking for ideas for a breakfast I can bring to work if I go this route. I do have access to a microwave at work.

If you still want to get the same amount of protein, you can carry soft-boiled or hard-boiled eggs.  My trick for soft-boiled is to steam eggs for 8.5 minutes (using a steamer basket, gentler than boiling!).  I do it the night before and ice them, then store in the fridge in a container that I take with me to peel them and eat them.  Just add more minutes if you don't want them that gooey.

scottcraft and YogaByCandace like this

Porridge... 

Baked eggs.. Whisk eggs together bake in the oven for 20 mins with other veg, mushrooms, tomatoes, peppers, lardons, herbs and spices or whatever you fancy.. Leave to cool and eat cold..

scottcraft likes this

Thanks @yogafire and @mimisouth for your suggestions! I think I would prefer hard boiled over soft boiled, even though I like runny yolks when I fry them. That porridge sounds pretty neat, I've never heard of that!

4 hours ago, YogaByCandace said:

Oh yeah, lots of egg options! You could also do little egg muffins and put in whatever you like!

Thanks Candace, I'll put those on the list too!

On 1/10/2016 at 2:39 AM, mimisouth said:

Porridge... 

Is porridge the same as oatmeal? Or something else?

That reminded me (even if porridge is something else!).  Oatmeal helps lower cholesterol, so it can be a good supplement.  I like the steel cut oats kind, which takes longer to cook but is more nutritious than the instant oatmeal.  Luckily, there are some quick cooking kinds that only take 5 minutes instead of 10-20 min.  

I make a large batch for the week at one time, and then split it into separate containers to microwave each day.  To flavor it, I put in fresh fruit, or if I don't have it, then some jam. And, a fun but strange at first alternative is putting peanut butter in there. I guess it makes more sense when you're also putting banana in there. :) 

scottcraft and Robbie like this

5 hours ago, yogafire said:

Is porridge the same as oatmeal? Or something else?

That reminded me (even if porridge is something else!).  Oatmeal helps lower cholesterol, so it can be a good supplement.  I like the steel cut oats kind, which takes longer to cook but is more nutritious than the instant oatmeal.  Luckily, there are some quick cooking kinds that only take 5 minutes instead of 10-20 min.  

I make a large batch for the week at one time, and then split it into separate containers to microwave each day.  To flavor it, I put in fresh fruit, or if I don't have it, then some jam. And, a fun but strange at first alternative is putting peanut butter in there. I guess it makes more sense when you're also putting banana in there. :) 

Peas porridge hot

Peas porridge cold

Peas porridge in the pot nine days old....

Thats from my childhood! I like steel cut oats too!

Robbie likes this

I always eat breakfast and lunch at my desk, I ate oatmeal for 30 years every morning for breakfast...I gave up oatmeal 2 years ago (lost 70 pounds)...Coincidence? So, no oatmeal for me.

Since I do yoga every morning, I never eat before hand, but my first meal of the day is usually: Chobani Plain Yogurt, a handful of cherry (or grape) tomatoes, hard boiled egg...but only after consuming four or five cups of green tea (real leaves, reused so I don't overdose on caffeine) or glasses of water 

scottcraft likes this

I think porridge (oatmeal) is an excellent post work out breakfast. I have it every day and prepare it 2 different ways; Hot with milk, or cold with yoghurt (this method requires you to soak the oats in yoghurt overnight). I add fruit and honey to it to keep it tasty, and I also add a scoop of protein powder to it because your body needs a bit of protein after a workout. The protein also helps give you that fuller-for-longer feeling.

On 1/13/2016 at 5:15 AM, Robbie said:

I think porridge (oatmeal) is an excellent post work out breakfast. I have it every day and prepare it 2 different ways; Hot with milk, or cold with yoghurt (this method requires you to soak the oats in yoghurt overnight). I add fruit and honey to it to keep it tasty, and I also add a scoop of protein powder to it because your body needs a bit of protein after a workout. The protein also helps give you that fuller-for-longer feeling.

I second this! I can't wait to share my post on getting lean for the photoshoot. In two weeks of adding more carbs I have seen such a huge change in body composition!

scottcraft and Robbie like this

6 hours ago, YogaByCandace said:

I second this! I can't wait to share my post on getting lean for the photoshoot. In two weeks of adding more carbs I have seen such a huge change in body composition!

I've also seen a big change in my body lately from adding more carbs, but my carbs have been ice cream....

Seriously, you've leaned out adding more carbs?

YogaByCandace and Robbie like this

13 hours ago, scottcraft said:

Seriously, you've leaned out adding more carbs?

Yep! The pictures are crazy. I basically just started eating more frequently. I don't think I was taking in enough calories for the amount of exercise I was putting in. By the middle of the day, my energy was depleted. I would finish workouts and lay in a puddle of my own sweat for like a solid ten minutes before I was sure my own two feet could hold me. I just felt like I had a tough time recovering and zero energy by the time 2pm rolled around. So I started adding more meals and more carbs (things like oats, sweet/regular potatoes, quinoa, etc). You gotta remember I was eating basically just meat and veggies prior to that so I just wasn't eating enough and wasn't eating carbs which I've found to be like human fuel haha. I'll do a full run down on it with photos - it's scheduled to go live Feb 4. :)

On 16/01/2016 at 1:03 PM, YogaByCandace said:

Yep! The pictures are crazy. I basically just started eating more frequently. I don't think I was taking in enough calories for the amount of exercise I was putting in. By the middle of the day, my energy was depleted. I would finish workouts and lay in a puddle of my own sweat for like a solid ten minutes before I was sure my own two feet could hold me. I just felt like I had a tough time recovering and zero energy by the time 2pm rolled around. So I started adding more meals and more carbs (things like oats, sweet/regular potatoes, quinoa, etc). You gotta remember I was eating basically just meat and veggies prior to that so I just wasn't eating enough and wasn't eating carbs which I've found to be like human fuel haha. I'll do a full run down on it with photos - it's scheduled to go live Feb 4. :)

Carbs have been demonised for far too long. I blame that Atkins bollocks. If you exercise regularly, you need carbs - human fuel, exactly! I learned the hard way by cycling long distances - you need carbs in your blood stream. When your carb levels run out your body starts on the glycogen stores in the liver and muscles. When these run out you "bonk" and that is what knocks you on your arse. Lack of carbohydrate in your diet is extremely unhealthy. It can lead to insulin resistance, elevated cortisol and even muscle breakdown as the body cannibalises itself for a fuel source. Your grandparents knew it all along - balanced diets people!

Looking forward to your post on it, I find nutrition fascinating.

EricaKaye likes this

Atkins diet doesn't eliminate carbs, a common misconception. During the early phases, there's lower carb (net carb, actually) intake. Gradually food groups are added back in.  

Certain foods are addictive, mainly the carb rich fun stuff, like pizza, pasta, etc. Try eating half a slice of pizza and stopping while the rest of the pie sits on the table. 

To a trained athlete, in peak physical condiditon, about to embark on a grueling workout session, carbs, as you say, are the fuel the body needs. 

To someone who is more sedentary, overweight or obese, the same foods are poison.  For three years I did spinning four times a week, eating oatmeal every morning and rice most evenings.  I never lost a pound. I adjusted my diet and lost a lot of weight,  

What works for one (young, athletic, trim) may not work for another (older, out of shape, obese). I'm unlikely to do any long distance running or cycling, so my "fuel" needs are different. But if they ask me to do the NY marathon, I'll be sure to carboload. 

I lean toward the primal/paleo school of thought, but I understand that pushing your body like cycling, running marathons, etc require more carbs. I think the average person eats significantly more carbs than necessary, especially breads. 

YogaByCandace and mimisouth like this

Can't wait for the post @YogaByCandace! Carbs are pretty essential for me to have energy to workout. Thankfully, I have a high metabolism and I'm young! There are some awesome complex carbs that you can add to your diet without the refined grains that really fuel workouts. Oatmeal rocks before a workout. It has good carbs and fiber to start your day off great, digestion wise. 

I also enjoy making Chia Seed pudding or overnight oats for breakfast. Both fill you up and provide good energy. Avocado toast with egg is also amazing! There are so many variations you can try with this.

It is my understanding that everyone is different, so everyone will eat different things that will make their bodies feel good. It's kind of an experiment to figure out what makes us feel our best. I have discovered how good fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and plant-based protein have made me feel so I'm trying to stick to that, although I still eat meat and dairy sometimes. It's definitely individualized, so what works for one person might not work for the next!

On 1/18/2016 at 9:42 AM, scottcraft said:

I think the average person eats significantly more carbs than necessary, especially breads. 

100% agree with you! 

14 hours ago, afriske said:

It's kind of an experiment to figure out what makes us feel our best. I have discovered how good fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and plant-based protein have made me feel so I'm trying to stick to that, although I still eat meat and dairy sometimes. It's definitely individualized, so what works for one person might not work for the next!

100% agree with you, and have to say that this is pretty much what I love most about our little community - it's a safe spot to express what works for you and if it doesn't work for someone else you can be sure no one is going to jump down your throat about it. :) YAY us! :wub:

On 1/13/2016 at 5:15 AM, Robbie said:

I think porridge (oatmeal) is an excellent post work out breakfast. I have it every day and prepare it 2 different ways; Hot with milk, or cold with yoghurt (this method requires you to soak the oats in yoghurt overnight).

Ah! I've never tried oats cold soaked overnight in yogurt, so I just did!  But, my experiment was not very successful. I made two bowls and also added some milk in it, roughly tried to make it 1:1 (oats: liquid mixed between yogurt and milk). The oats still tasted raw the next day.  One was too soupy and the other was thicker, cake-like. Obviously I need to measure since eyeballing resulted in two conflicting textures!

What ratios of oats to yogurt do you and others prefer the most? Do I need to use rolled oats instead of steel cut? I used greek yogurt - is that too thick for this purpose?

Robbie and robert like this

I have always done it by eye, so not sure of the measurements. I think I use about 30g of wholegrain rolled oats with Greek yoghurt. I put in a generous dollop of yoghurt - at least 1:1 if not a little more. After I have stirred it in, there appears to be a surplus of yoghurt, but this will be absorbed into the oats overnight. I have never added milk, perhaps that is complicating matters?

The result the next morning is a firm consistency, but not cake like. It loosens up with some honey and a bit of stirring. The breakfast of champions:)

yogafire likes this

On 2/9/2016 at 3:04 AM, Robbie said:

The result the next morning is a firm consistency, but not cake like. It loosens up with some honey and a bit of stirring. 

Thanks so much for all the feedback. I'll try again without milk.

In the meantime, I found the picture of my first attempt soaked oats (note that I mixed some strawberry jam, also the night before. oh dear, I must have created a monster).

Is this firm consistency, or cake like? (my husband said cake like, but I thought it was a thick custard)

20160122_110021.thumb.jpg.e4602ff035e8d9

On 12/02/2016 at 5:17 AM, yogafire said:

Is this firm consistency, or cake like? (my husband said cake like, but I thought it was a thick custard)

This looks about right to me. I would add the jam the next day though as the fruit juice helps loosen it up.

yogafire likes this

A bowl of yogurt with some chopped fresh/dried fruits and nuts as well as a peanut/almond butter would be a great post work out breakfast. If you need something heavier try adding oatmeal and maybe some chia,flax or hemp seeds.