yogagirl88

Help with Workout Routine!

10 posts in this topic

Hi! I started doing one of the YBC 30 days programs and I love it!! I really enjoy doing yoga and am trying to use it to help build strength, flexibility, and mindfulness. My normal workout routine consists of cardio (jogging) and strength training through using different floor exercises and weights. 

My question for this forum is, on top of doing yoga, do you fit in cardio and weights? I'm trying to set up a workout routine that works for me and i just don't have time in my schedule to spend an hour or more a day on yoga ON TOP of cardio and weights. Please let me know if you have any advice!!

Thank you! 

YogaByCandace and mimisouth like this

Aloha!

I tend to do other work outs too. A lot of weights and a bit of cardio. Mainly stuff like walking lunges, squats and all that good stuff. If anything I do one every other. So Monday is yoga, Tuesday Is weights, Wednesday is yoga and so on. Hope that helps 

yogafire and yogagirl88 like this

Hi! Good for you for trying to set up a workout routine! 

Truthfully, I normally do yoga because it's what I love. The kind of yoga depends on the day. I'll do some cardio a few times a week, usually cardio or HIIT yoga, and once and a while I change it up and do some pilates before my yoga practice. I will add small weights to my routine, but nothing major. Sometimes I'll incorporate sports into my routine as well. My yoga is usually very strength-oriented except on days when I need a rest. So, I just use my own body weight for most of the time!

Most days, my yoga is heart-pumping, but only a couple times a week will I do any HIIT or cardio yoga. The rest of the time I do a lot of strength building yoga (so for instance, Candace's power yoga flows, her yoga for strength videos,etc). I'm working on building my arm balance and inversion practice, so I focus A LOT on my core and quite a bit on my upper body. I'm also working on my splits, so I have various poses I do for that daily as well. 

This probably wasn't what you were looking for now that I'm finishing this, but I think the key to building a workout routine that remains consistent is that you are doing what you enjoy. At least most of the time. :) Try to find different activities that you enjoy doing! For me, that happens to be mostly yoga. Hope this helps!

yogagirl88 likes this

My routine was very similar to yours-yoga, running, a little weights or body weight exercises. I developed plantar fasciitis :( so I laid off the running to allow for healing. I decided to use the setback as an opportunity to try something new and started HIIT and focused on lifting more weight, more often.  The workouts are almost all in the 30-40 minute range so it still allows me time for yoga without going too far beyond an hour. One day a week I do a long yoga practice and I have one rest day a week. I usually foam roll or do a yin practice on the rest day to fight off soreness. I have seen such great results! The new strength in my upper body has really helped my yoga practice and I'm seeing some nice abs peeking out! Hope that helps! 

yogagirl88 likes this

Thank you everyone for the responses!! These definitely all helped :) I really do love yoga so I think I will stick with doing that for the most part. And than just add in some light cardio and weights a couple days a week too. Thanks again!

Can you also help me, I am really new with Yoga, in fact I haven't even joined a yoga class (hopefully soon), I only know yoga base on Youtube videos and been doing those basic yoga poses base on what I've seen , so my question is, can you help me create a routine that would last around 10-15 minutes that would not harm a newbie like me? is that possible?

Welcome! Have you already tried out Candace's New You 31 day program? She starts it off slowly for beginners and gradually increases. I also like her programs more than other 30 day challenges because she builds in rest days, which are necessary and beneficial!

From the suggested videos, you might find a routine you like to do daily. I think progressing through the program might be more helpful than randomly browsing.

If not, try and start out with some half sun salutations to warm up, then move into full? Start out small, don't compare yourself to others either. I personally found yoga very hard and I couldn't keep up with a class. I was the only black girl in a class of white women but did that stop me?! Of course not! You can do this!!! ????

yogafire likes this

I only do yoga, but I do more of a stronger vinyasa flow. I love Kathryn Budig's videos on Yogaglo. She covers a lot of inversions/arm balances and some of her flows are quite intense! I think that is enough for me. I also try to do some core work (about 15 minutes) everyday if I can in addition. 

I sometimes do rock climbing or acrobatics, but not so often. 

I also do a home practice. When I do that, I base it off ashtanga, so I do 3-5 sun salutations A and 3-5 sun salutations B after I warm up with cat/cows/ spinal twists, etc but I vary it up so I'm doing something different (like adding warriors or balance poses, or lifting one leg and going into flying pigeon / side plank, etc). For my Bs, I do one normal B and then I try to do something different for every sun salute and usually I just roll from there. :D I hope that helps! Don't worry about length of time, but concentrate on feeling in your body and enjoying each movement. It's my 'fun time' so some days I just do a lot of heart opening stretches after warm-up. It all depends on the day.

I don't do cardio because I have a bad history with running. I feel so weak and nauseous so I keep off it. I also have a history of being underweight in the past, so my heart isn't so strong. Anything that builds strength is good. Cardio (limited to handstand kick-ups) is okay but I need to rest after. I've gotten better at this though. I can't do a bit more cardio in my yoga practice since it's balanced with some rest. I think that's the key. Balance :D 

On 2/12/2016 at 1:07 AM, JaeRustia said:

Can you also help me, I am really new with Yoga, in fact I haven't even joined a yoga class (hopefully soon), I only know yoga base on Youtube videos and been doing those basic yoga poses base on what I've seen , so my question is, can you help me create a routine that would last around 10-15 minutes that would not harm a newbie like me? is that possible?

Hello and glad you are here! Can you look for a new to yoga class? That is a very good way to get started, get help before any bad habits develop. Asking us here we don't know anything about you so it is hard. Try and learn the basics really well. Stay with what is comfortable for you, everything might seem uncomfortable to start. Try the best you can. This link http://www.yogaoutlet.com/guides/poses-and-sequences (have to scroll down past day 18 stuff) gives very good teachings and modifications for many poses but help from a teacher in class is an important part as well.

yogafire likes this