YogaByCandace

Advice To New Yoga Teachers

12 posts in this topic

Today on the blog I've unveiled a new series called Yoga Teacher Talk, which I hope will become a great resource for current and prospective yoga teachers. The first post is about advice for new teachers. If you're  a yoga teacher, what advice would you add? 

And, for any students/teachers out there - if there's anything in particular you'd like to see on the Yoga Teacher Talk series, just let me know!

Reggi, Mana, christinakc and 2 others like this

Thank you for posting this. It helped me a lot, especially all about studying, taking as many classes as you can from different teachers, goign to workshops, working hard in preparing the classes.........and the part to say yes to everything. I'm in this part now and sometimes it's quite hard ...... but the reward and the energy you get from the people after the class makes totally worth the effort. Aside from the fact that in the end is all about the practice, practice,practice and the interaction with other people and the more opportunities you have the better (or at least is what I repeat to myself when I got a call for a last minute sub.....)

One of the most important things for me is working in finding your voice and your rithym for the class. Getting to know your natural voice might be quite a challenge at the beginning.

I'm excited about this new series. I looked around for blogs and articles about taking a yoga teacher training and the experience. So far, your site and this forum has offered the most comprehensive information and I'm really excited to get started.

Agreed!

AlexandraW and Ayala like this

I just think it's so important to be your authentic self as a teacher. If deity stories, chanting, or kriyas don't speak to you, then don't try to force them in your teaching. If you geek out over anatomy, share that passion with your students--telling them exactly what is happening in their bodies can open up whole new worlds for them. If you studied philosophy or anthropology or science--something that seems unrelated to yoga to the layperson, but where you see symbolic chains of association, share them! Your students will begin to see that yoga isn't a separate thing they do for an hour a day a few days a week--it's connected to other interests and elements of their lives, of society and culture, and of human history!

I am currently in a 200 hr YTT and feeling a bit overwhelmed so thanks for this thread - its quite helpful to know that everything we are learning doesn't have to be incorporated into a class. Thanks!

YogaByCandace and Ayala like this

Finding your voice and getting feedback from others. For me it was the part part I liked the less but helped me the most. You prepare your practice and do your best and what you get from the feedback are things like: too fast, too slow, too many adjustments, very few, you were boring, you were awesome...... I got these  from the pratices during my teaching training mainly and it's true that when you are giving "real" classes things are different and people, normally, are super nice. But the bad feedback and the constant practice were what helped me the most to find my voice and to gain confidence.

Ayala, YogaByCandace and marcia like this

I'm a new teacher. I completed my 200 hour training in August and I have been teaching ever since. The best piece of advice I was given is that 'you are not a teacher until you get out there and teach!' So I got out there and jumped in head first, the first class I taught was cover for another teacher - a Friday evening class of 30! I never looked back. 

I am usually an incognito forum reader and not a participator.  I've decided, however, that this is a safe environment to put myself out there.

Here goes.  I have been considering going through yoga teacher training for awhile now.  I am 46 years old.  I've been practicing yoga on and off for about thirteen years.  Interspersed with my practice, I've worked toward and completed other athletic challenges (a marathon, Tough Mudders, etc.).  I might be facing a mid-life crisis, but about 9 years ago, I quit my teaching job and moved my family for my husband's job.  Because I was 72 months pregnant (hahahaha) when we moved, I took a little time off to help my toddler daughter adjust to the move and to stay at home with my baby son (a wonderous opportunity for which I am grateful).  My mother also became ill with early onset dementia around that time, and I've been doing as much for her as I can (including placing her in a residence for care and remaining free of full time work to be with her as much as possible.)  In the end, staying home made sense due to a variety of family-related reasons.  

Did I warn you that I've been holding a lot back lately, and here it all is?  No?  Sorry. (Ah, the freedom of near-anonymity!)

So, fast forward.  Here I am.  The kids are getting big.  I am getting restless.  There has been blogging about training for events and about life.  Very non-directional.  I took a photography class.  I teach knitting.  I love yoga.  

Yoga helps me get through the angsts I encounter.  I love that yoga gives me the opportunity to bring "bad ---" to my life that marathons and Tough Mudders have brought me up until now.  It helps me to be calm.  I love it.  I am a good teacher, or so I've been told.  Right now, though, I'm floundering.  I have the lovely opportunity to take a mulligan in my career life.  I didn't love teaching school.  I wish I did, but I didn't.  Subbing from time to time is more than enough.  However, I want to help people to enjoy life and to feel success.  I think that is why I like teaching knitting.  My dream is to have my own studio, have a blogging presence, and to help people who are struggling (PTSD?  Caring for a sick family member? Foundering in life?).  

Here, I feel like I stumbled upon this soul-fortifying community that Candace has created for a reason.  My husband and I both feel like I should "go for it" career-wise and find something that helps to fulfill me.  

Am I crazy to consider becoming a yoga teacher?  Or, if I'm not crazy, is it a viable option at my age?  Please give your honest feedback.  I am more than ready to find my next calling and to get started.

Thank you, Candace, for this space.  I feel that this new community for me has enriched my life.

Here, I feel like I stumbled upon this soul-fortifying community that Candace has created for a reason.  My husband and I both feel like I should "go for it" career-wise and find something that helps to fulfill me.  

Am I crazy to consider becoming a yoga teacher?  Or, if I'm not crazy, is it a viable option at my age?  Please give your honest feedback.  I am more than ready to find my next calling and to get started.

Hi Lorelei! I recently completed a teacher training program and one of my fellow yogis-in-training was 55! She rocked it, btw. If you and I were having coffee right now, I'd be sharing my own experience with you, passing on words of wisdom that were passed onto me, and otherwise encouraging you to dive right in! Becoming a yoga teacher is such a wonderful way to serve others, and there are so many ways you can do this. You can teach in a studio, gym, community center, online (in a multitude of ways - just look at what Candace does), etc. You can volunteer in the prisons, community, and schools. Yadda yadda yadda...

A lot of us discover that yoga is our calling in some capacity at older ages. That 55 year-old is an artist and she has successfully merged the two (she recently held a yoga and mandala workshop at the local studio, which was a huge hit). Just a random thought, but you could do something similar with knitting. Or you could teach. Or you could simply enhance your wellbeing and practice.

Let us know if you decide to take the leap! It's a beautiful journey...