Looch

Foot Pain

8 posts in this topic

Hey all,

I have been doing yoga for about 2 months now and have been loving it.  I am not a very flexible guy in general, so that has been a point that I have had to work on slowly, trying to get into some poses that I previously had not been able to do.  One thing that has held me back during my practice is pain around the bottom of my foot. arch and in my toes. It happens mainly during warrior poses, wide legged standing forward folds and when doing yogi grip around the toes while standing. Anything that requires some sort of grip by my feet.  I'm not sure how to go about fixing this, but it is an intense ache in my arch, foot bottom and toes that limits how long i can do those poses.

Has anyone else experienced this and what can be done?

Thanks!

Do you practice on your own or in a class? An instructor seeing your posture can/might/will be able to help. Absent that, can you get a friend to take a photo that you can post...maybe one of the experts here can spot something.

Are you using a sticky mat? Mats that are slippery unwittingly require the practitioner to grip the mat with with their feet. I'm a big fan of the Jade Harmony mat (feels like glue!) 

Best advice, though, if you have intense ache...stop whatever you're doing! 

think I know the pain you're talking about. I used to get something similar, and a pinching pain in the toes too - not fun!

The feet are such an important part of the yoga practice, and often overlooked. It sounds to me like the sensation you are getting may be a falling arch. You mentioned a yogi grip with the toes. Instead of that, maybe try the opposite and instead of gripping the mat with your toes, try coming into paddha bandha. The action here would be to lift the toes up off the mat, which helps to lift the arch of the foot and engage the inner legs. Try holding that for a few breaths and see if it eases the pain. Then, very slowly, begin to lower the toes down one at a time, working to keep the same lifted feeling in the arch of the foot.

You can also just practice paddha banda in tadasana (mountain pose) to help strengthen the feet and get a sense for that strong, lifted feeling.

Oh, and then go treat yourself to a good foot massage :)

I hope this gets worked out for you! I used to have similar pain, not in yoga but in high school when I had issues with the arches in my feet. Thankfully, I've remedied that!

These videos might help your sore feet as well. They both work to rest and strengthen the feet. 

I have a similar experience because of my flat feet. I've found that focusing on alignment during warrior poses (knee directly above ankle) helps, as well as trying to distribue the weight on my feet evenly. That aside, I try to avoid high lunge or do it very carefully.

Basic foot massages can help, as well as circling your ankles during warm up.

Good luck!

The feet are tough because they have a lot of muscles we dont normally use in our typical day to day lives. So the pain you could be feeling might be just general fatigue from muscles you haven't really developed as they start to develop, or it could be that your alignment is off. Here are some things I think may help: 

Movement: the toes (this is an OLD post, haha, but still relevant)

Take a look at this graphic for the foot so you're sure where to press.

Whenever you have time like if you're watching tv at home, try to incorporate this (last photo) more often. It's a great stretch for the feet.

Yoga for feet video

This tip for warrior legs will save your knees (and may be impacting your feet)

Hope that helps!

Hildegard and afriske like this