Lydia

Struggling with time management?

5 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

So I am finding myself increasingly having trouble managing my time. I don't *think* I am putting too much on my plate, I just don't think I'm maximizing my time very well. I'm a full time business student at a university and take all my classes online, and I also have a part time job at a local community college. My mother is chronically sick and I live at home to help her around the house - chores and meal prep are a daily thing. I also have a wonderful boyfriend who is a night nurse, so his schedule is all over the place and really we kind of have to go out whenever he gets a day off or we wouldn't see each other at all. I try to make time to get enough sleep, to make healthy meals, to have some alone time/meditate, to spend time with my boyfriend, to spend time with family, to spend time with friends, and to work out. I do an okay job, but I just feel like I am ALWAYS rushing. And the thing is, I think it is mostly in my head because I usually get everything done. But, being naturally an anxious person (I'm working on it! haha), I'm always trying to shift things around and feeling like I won't complete something. I also feel really guilty when I can't be with my boyfriend and family.

So. My question is - how do people balance their time between their social life and school/work? What do you do? Any suggestions? Anything you see that I'm doing wrong?

Aw, it sounds like you just have a LOT on your plate. That would be tough for anyone. I would try to find a way to make things less demanding. So for meal preps - do you use a crockpot? They're the best. You literally just put your raw food in and four hours later, it's done. That might cut down on your meal prep time? When it comes to working out, don't underestimate the importance of a rest day (or two or three). Solid rest can actually help increase your fitness level. So I'm not sure how often your'e working out but I wonder if you could maybe take out one workout day and replace that time with a long bath or doing something else like that to destress. 

For me, I have a lot on my plate but I just try to do things in chunks. So I'll meal prep two times a week and make big meals I can pick at during the in between days. I  see my friends once or twice a week for a scheduled brunch or night out. I also schedule my down time and take it seriously. Usually it's at night for at least an hour - I'll turn off my phone, the computer, etc, and read or do yoga or take a bath. I figure it I'm not feeling my best, then I'm not doing my best at my job, as a wife, daughter, friend, etc. So taking care of number one is, inadvertently, the best thing I can do the others in my life. I don't know if that makes sense, but I tried haha :)

yogafire, Lydia and robert like this

40 minutes ago, YogaByCandace said:

Aw, it sounds like you just have a LOT on your plate. That would be tough for anyone. I would try to find a way to make things less demanding. So for meal preps - do you use a crockpot? They're the best. You literally just put your raw food in and four hours later, it's done. That might cut down on your meal prep time? When it comes to working out, don't underestimate the importance of a rest day (or two or three). Solid rest can actually help increase your fitness level. So I'm not sure how often your'e working out but I wonder if you could maybe take out one workout day and replace that time with a long bath or doing something else like that to destress. 

For me, I have a lot on my plate but I just try to do things in chunks. So I'll meal prep two times a week and make big meals I can pick at during the in between days. I  see my friends once or twice a week for a scheduled brunch or night out. I also schedule my down time and take it seriously. Usually it's at night for at least an hour - I'll turn off my phone, the computer, etc, and read or do yoga or take a bath. I figure it I'm not feeling my best, then I'm not doing my best at my job, as a wife, daughter, friend, etc. So taking care of number one is, inadvertently, the best thing I can do the others in my life. I don't know if that makes sense, but I tried haha :)

I have used a crock pot before, but I haven't used one lately. I think that is an awesome suggestion, especially if I want to make a meal for my family to have while I am working that night. I'm glad you mentioned the rest day - I'm thinking I might can put a couple of rest days in there when I am super busy and then do yoga/cardio on the days I won't be as busy. I like your idea of doing things in chunks! That's really helpful. I tend to split things up throughout the week but setting aside a bigger time to do just one thing might be helpful. I definitely don't schedule enough down time, so I  like the idea of doing that before bed. maybe I can do one of your nighttime yoga routines, too! :) 

Thanks so much, Candace. I've been so stressed trying to fit everything in, and your suggestions are going to be a ton of help and something I will come back to to review a lot.

robert likes this

That is tough! I had one idea, but it depends on your relationship. Are there are some activities you can do together with your boyfriend that can help "save time" or at least make the task not feel as rushed because you're not doing it alone? For instance, cook together food for the week for your family and for him to take into work, or do a guided meditation together? This would take off the pressure to always have a "date night out". But! If you find the time out with him as fun and a good break from the rush, then, by all means keep it separate.

I'm supremely guilty of "rushing" and "doing too much." I understand how tough it can be and you're definitely going through a lot of stuff! I like what was said before. Meal Prep rocks. Even just doing bases of things. Like cooking up a pot of rice or quinoa for the week. Roasting veggies, etc. If you take some time one day a week to get ready, then the rest of the meals will little to no time at all! 

Do you write things down in a planner? Since you have so much to do, I think that would be super helpful if you don't already do it. I always seem to feel less overwhelmed when I have in writing exactly what is necessary for the day. And I always write down to do my yoga or do some other type of self-care because it's needed you know? If you put it into your schedule you're more likely to do it. Even taking 15 minutes or so out of the day for yourself will be beneficial in the long run. And focusing on the necessary things that you'll know you'll get done means that you will probably have time left because you aren't thinking about a gagillian other things that you could do, but instead your days are more foucsed, if that makes sense. Then if you finish the necessary things, you may feel accomplished and like you're doing extra. At least this is my experience so take this however you will! 

Hope this helps!

robert likes this