Laura

What Are The Poses You Like The Least?

52 posts in this topic

I started to practice yoga for the first time in my life about one year ago and I now I practice daily, even just for ten minutes a day. What is strange for me is that many poses like camel, eagle, mermaid, lizard were quite easy and  pleasant to perform since the beginning of my practice, but there is one that's really difficult to me: forward fold! I’m so uncomfortable there, I feel my hamstrings so stiff and back too curved, I'can't wait to move over. It’s the only pose where I cannot see any improvement, even if I practice every day :(

What are the poses you really don’t like?

I started to practice yoga for the first time in my life about one year ago and I now I practice daily, even just for ten minutes a day. What is strange for me is that many poses like camel, eagle, mermaid, lizard were quite easy and  pleasant to perform since the beginning of my practice, but there is one that's really difficult to me: forward fold! I’m so uncomfortable there, I feel my hamstrings so stiff and back too curved, I'can't wait to move over. It’s the only pose where I cannot see any improvement, even if I practice every day :(

What are the poses you really don’t like?

Forward fold is difficult for me too! "Resting" in forward fold isn't relaxing for me at all, it's quite the challenge.

YogaByCandace and Laura like this

For me it´s pretty much every pose that requires me to lift up my leg standing and reaching for my foot. Oh I just cannot do it and I have no idea how to improve with these poses! And Boat Pose, which makes my hips cramp - though i do know how to try to improve that, I tend not to check if I have ;)  

Forward fold is difficult for me too! "Resting" in forward fold isn't relaxing for me at all, it's quite the challenge.

Yeah, you're right! I was thinking there was definitely something wrong with me! Of course there are many poses I cannot afford at the moment, like armstands, for example, but that one really frustrates me, and it isn't relaxing for sure  ;)

For me it´s pretty much every pose that requires me to lift up my leg standing and reaching for my foot.

Have you tried a yoga strap? This helps me :)

Turi likes this

Have you tried a yoga strap? This helps me :)

Good idea - I only use a strap when doing the same poses lying down. I think I´m a bit scared of the standing versions, I feel like there´s several metres from my hand to the end of my legs, my back is round when I try to reach and nothing is aligned properly!  :)

How do you get into it with the strap? Strap under foot first and then trying to raise the leg? 

How do you get into it with the strap? Strap under foot first and then trying to raise the leg? 

I lift the leg a little, get the strap around and just lift whilst raising as much as I can.

I did try to lasso my leg once when already in the air but needless to say, it didn't turn out well and I fell on the floor... :unsure:

I lift the leg a little, get the strap around and just lift whilst raising as much as I can.

I did try to lasso my leg once when already in the air but needless to say, it didn't turn out well and I fell on the floor... :unsure:

Yeah, that´s what I pictured. Thanks for testing that out for me  :54:

For me it´s pretty much every pose that requires me to lift up my leg standing and reaching for my foot. Oh I just cannot do it and I have no idea how to improve with these poses! And Boat Pose, which makes my hips cramp - though i do know how to try to improve that, I tend not to check if I have ;)  

Yip! I struggle to hold my toe and extend my leg while balancing, and out to the side, impossible. I'm guessing my hips and hamstrings aren't as flexible as needed.

Revolved halfmoon.  Why does it feel as terrible as it did the first time I did it??  And I get nothing out of it, there are other poses that I feel are challenging and sometimes don't like but at least I feel like I make gains or build some sort of strength or flexibility that will serve me well in the future. 

I am currently building my core and upper body strength. So, any pose that requires upper body strength is difficult for me like the crow pose and the forearm stand.

laceyd likes this

I am currently building my core and upper body strength. So, any pose that requires upper body strength is difficult for me like the crow pose and the forearm stand.

Same for me! Really need to work on upper body strength and arm balances.

laceyd likes this

Any kind of seated twists! I have an extremely short torso, and I just feel like a lump instead of a graceful yoga swan, lol! And agreed about toe-holds while standing on one leg! I don't hate them, but I just feel like... what the heck?! Are my arms too short for this or something?? Haha, but it's getting better.

mmosier71 and Turi like this

Revolved halfmoon.  Why does it feel as terrible as it did the first time I did it??  And I get nothing out of it, there are other poses that I feel are challenging and sometimes don't like but at least I feel like I make gains or build some sort of strength or flexibility that will serve me well in the future. 

I also seriously dislike revolved half moon. My body just doesn't feel right in it and I always feel like my body's not in proper alignment.

For me, arm balances and inversions are super fun and easy, but certain hip and heart openers are incredibly challenging. I also have super tight shoulders. Dancers, Floor Bow, Wheel, Camel, Birds of Paradise, Pigeon--these are all toughies for me.

I would have to say camel gives me difficulty - it strains my lower back.  I used to let my ego force me into it but now I listen to my body and only go as deep as it lets me.