Laura

What Are The Poses You Like The Least?

52 posts in this topic

I loathe pigeon and lizard, but know I need them.

I feel like I could do without boat pose and standing split!

I agree about standing split, I can't get my leg all that high and I feel like I'm just hanging out. Half moon feels much better!

dianeteresa likes this

Not fond of boat pose or really any core work. Sadly that is what I need the most. I do understand this and suffer through!  :blush:

Turi likes this

Since it came up on the blog today: three-legged dog. For all the muscles it's supposed to work, I've only ever felt it in my wrists--and by 'it' I mean 'unpleasant soreness.' I have to keep my standing knee bent and can't get my heel to the ground because I am officially the inflexiblest, so my version looks nothing like anyone's ever demonstrated in a picture or video. It's one of those poses I'm always sure I'm doing wrong.

YogaByCandace likes this

Any pose that does not allow me to go anywhere near that pose.  Did that make sense?  Maybe not, let me explain.

I am a size 18 (UK) with a 42 inch waist, big birthing hips, thighs that can start a forest fire and I weigh 88 kilograms.  I can do downward dog and chaturanga and chair pose and tree pose, even warriors without much problem, but once you try to get me to hold child's pose for 5 breaths or do a head-to-knee forward bend or stand in eagle pose and I just break down.

My big belly and thighs and bingo arms just won't let me reach and twist and fold and bend properly.  My arms don't twist correctly in eagle pose so I stand there looking really lame with one arm above the other and nothing else.  My bum sits up in the air in child's pose so I try to do a modified version with my legs wider apart but I feel that I am not getting the full benefit of the pose because I am somehow cheating.

I loathe sitting forward bends because I cannot tuck my belly fat somewhere else to do the pose properly.  I always feel like a fraud when everyone else around me are turning into human pretzels!

Hildegard and YogaByCandace like this

Even though I have impossibly tight hamstrings and I should hate forward fold, I am always overcome with a feeling of impending doom when I realize that the sequence we're doing seems to be leading up to a side angle. I can't figure out why, but this is my most dreaded pose. I am always secretly hoping that my teacher is going to cue a bird of paradise, just so I can get out of the pose. I have to constantly remind myself that the pose you dread is the one you need the most.

YogaByCandace likes this

Forward fold was really tough for me at first. Just recently, I started to notice a transformation and it's been at least a year! Keep at it! It will get better! :D

I loathe twisted triangle. It makes me so uncomfortable and annoyed. Anyone have tips?

I'm also not a huge fan of side planks even though I know how great they are.

YogaByCandace likes this

I loathe twisted triangle. It makes me so uncomfortable and annoyed. Anyone have tips?

This is major for the hamstrings and hips, and of course the torso rotation. I would suggest using a yoga block almost as shown here, except instead of regular triangle you'd be doing twisted :)

afriske likes this

Chair pose. I hate it. I know it's good for me. I know it's helpful, gives me core strength and has given me some visible muscle tone on my thighs, but it's a miserable experience all the same. My thighs hate me, my stomach hates me, my arms hate me, my back doesn't want to stay on a straight line. Ugh. Hyperbole aside, it's just not a pose I look forward to and I'm never disappointed if it's not included in any flow I've chosen for the day. 

High lounge is another disliked pose. Unless I'm extremely careful it gives me serious pain on the arches of my feet, my left foot especially. 

YogaByCandace and EricaKaye like this

Grasshopper is my nemesis! Luckily, it isn't a post that tends to come up often in a normal class or home practice. I always groan when I see it pop up in Instagram challenges! Another is firefly. My tight runner's legs just will.not.straighten and it drives me crazy.

Poses that make the head drop back (standing backbend and fish come to mind) make me feel like I'm suffocating so I'm never thrilled when they come up in a class. They make me feel SO anxious! I'm sure it is far more of a mental than physical issue! 

I´m working on double pigeon (firelog pose) lately, but it's so challenging for my hips. I can do lotus, but for some reason my knees won't get stacked onto the other foot.. Practice makes progress I guess..

I hate bow pose, warrior 2 for more than 4 breaths, locust, camel (I usually just wiggle my way out of those backbends if they're offered and do wheel). I also don't like side angle... unless it's a wrapped side-angle. Why? i don't quite know! I also don't like lunge twists... I'm not sure why. Oh and half-moon twisted is horrible! I wonder if the poses you dislike tells something about you! hahaha. 

Pigeon pose! Well, half pigeon. For some reason I can not put my head down. It freaks me out to the point where I can't breath. It gives me horrible anxiety. I put my forehead on a block during practice today and it was much better. 

4 hours ago, Mel said:

Pigeon pose! Well, half pigeon. For some reason I can not put my head down. It freaks me out to the point where I can't breath. It gives me horrible anxiety. I put my forehead on a block during practice today and it was much better. 

Always use blocks, blankets and any other prop to help you achieve the pose properly. Many instructors will help you if they notice you're not properly aligned. Walking my fingers forward, opening my shoulders further, will help fold lower.

On 10/21/2014 at 1:02 PM, afrinak said:

Forward fold is difficult for me too! "Resting" in forward fold isn't relaxing for me at all, it's quite the challenge.

I've been practicing yoga for a little over a year and forward fold doesn't feel good for me at all either! I always have to bend my knees a little and when I started doing that, it felt a lot better!

2 hours ago, Stark said:

I've been practicing yoga for a little over a year and forward fold doesn't feel good for me at all either! I always have to bend my knees a little and when I started doing that, it felt a lot better!

There's no shame in bending your knees. Actually, it's what you're supposed to do. Many people feel like they have to emulate the beautiful photos that they see on the covers of magazines, Instagram, etc. The reality is, for new practitioners, many poses will be impossible to achieve without modification. It's preferable to bend the knees and keep a straight back...even if you can't bend all the way over. A good prep for forward fold is legs up the wall. I've been doing it ten minutes a day, every day. 

sun-salutations-forward-fold-kb2.png

If this is all you can do...great!

mimisouth likes this

22 hours ago, LarryD517 said:

There's no shame in bending your knees. Actually, it's what you're supposed to do. Many people feel like they have to emulate the beautiful photos that they see on the covers of magazines, Instagram, etc. The reality is, for new practitioners, many poses will be impossible to achieve without modification. It's preferable to bend the knees and keep a straight back...even if you can't bend all the way over. A good prep for forward fold is legs up the wall. I've been doing it ten minutes a day, every day. 

If this is all you can do...great!

Thanks LarryD! I did not even think about legs up the wall, great advice!!!

LarryD517 likes this

46 minutes ago, Stark said:

Thanks LarryD! I did not even think about legs up the wall, great advice!!!

:)

Not sure if you're self teaching (DVDs, online videos, etc.), or attending live classes. If you're going to video route, I'd suggest trying to attend at least a few live classes, or if the budget permits, take a private lesson. A trained instructor will quickly assess your limitations and suggest simple adjustments and tips (such as legs on the wall). If you're getting serious about the practice, learning proper technique early on will reap tremendous rewards down the road

I think Chatturanga is especially difficult. Plank pose is so harsh on my arms and shoulders!

Forward bends are typically the weakest poses in my arsenal. But, I can accept that I am not the most flexible student.  However, double pidgeon and sometimes even vashistasana might drive me a little bonkers.